Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

“Show me you’re okay shaking hands with a black man”

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorFanCF, Apr 7, 2024.

1. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sure, tell the mentally ill person in NYC "go Sox." Solid plan. Next time leave your MAGA hat and new gold high tops at home.

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF Premium Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Perhaps not cash but once connected there’s opportunity to offer tours, discounts on merchandise, who knows? First step in sales is getting in the door.

Book of Mormon was very funny. My son has also seen it 3X. Impressed as he said it’s the exact same cast as when he saw it a few years ago.

• Like Like x 3
  3. GatorFanCF

Apr 14, 2007
    Agree my responses were not the wisest. Having said that he seemed to end it after I said “Go Sox” as he probably realized I wasn’t having any of his BS. I do not believe this person was mentally ill.

Hmmmm…are you making the case that being a Yankee fan is a mental illness? This could have legs. ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Sounds like your son wasn't sure exactly what he heard, kind of my point. If the guy rattled you and him, and you hear something similar said, but aren't sure you heard it correctly, it's easy for your brain to fill in the blanks. Just my hunch. Because, again, if this is so prevalent in NYC, a city of 8 million, that you heard it twice, organized black people asking white people to shake their hands, then I think it would be posted or reported somewhere else. Also, I can't think of any reason why this would be happening. What bad thing is going to happen if you shake their hand? But like I said, I'll change my mind if you can find a second source. I mean, it could be a new tactic of pick pockets trying to get close or steal your watch, or something, that's possible. I'm just not buying that there is a conspiracy of hand shaking black people up to no good for unknown reasons.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Tourist equals “weak” and vulnerable for a good chunk of New Yorkers.
    If that’s all that happened to you while you were there and broadcasting you weren’t from there, you did ok. And yes the guy was a moron, who knows what is true end game was.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    I've told this story here before but back about 20 years ago my youngest son and I had been to a Gator game that didn't get over until almost midnight. When we left I missed my turn onto I-75 and ended up several miles west of Gainesville. I pulled into a Circle K to get gas as I pumped gas I noticed I was the only white guy around. As I walked in to pay there was an old black homeless guy sitting next to the door. He asked me if I could spare some change so he could get something to eat. I forget exactly what I said but remember it was pretty rude. I came out and my truck wouldn't start. I popped the hood and fooled around with the battery cables a bit and it still wouldn't start.

The homeless guy came over and yelled at a couple of guys next to a pickup in the parking lot and asked them if they would come give his friend a jump. The truck still wouldn't start. When the guys in the pickup left he asked me if I had any tools. I pulled a small tool box out from under the back seat. He crawled under my truck and I could hear him tapping and fiddling with the starter. He hollered up to me, give it a try. I turned the key and it started. He crawled out and asked "Where are you going". I answered "Orlando". He said "Don't stop until you get there".

I put up my tools then took out my wallet. All I had left after the game was 2 twenty's I handed them to him and said "Here go get you something good to eat" He shook my hand and told me his name. I told him that I would never forget his name. LOL I was serious but I'm old and senile and I can't seem to remember his name but to this day I can't believe how helpful he was after I had stuck up my nose at him earlier. He may have been down on his luck but that was one of the nicest people I have ever met.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Engagement is the endgame. It's like a Kindergarten child who needs attention. These huksters will settle for the attention, but also grab a bonus if it's there. You and I know it will not be there 90% of the time, but imagine those other 10% of folk who are completely caught off guard. I'm thinking about folks with very little experience in urban settings. That's the adventure for the hukster.

• Like Like x 1
  8. gatorjo

gatorjo GC Hall of Fame

Feb 24, 2024
    That's super nice that you did something to help him........

......but only after you first "forget exactly what (you) said but remember it was pretty rude", and he then kindly bailed you out of a serious predicament.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    I was walking around a park for exercise, looking at my phone as I walked, when this homeless/mentally ill lady on a bench started yelling at me "Stop taking pictures of me you @#$%'in pervert, you're disgusting, what are you going to do with those pictures, jerk off?, etc., etc." She kept going and I could hear until I was pretty good distance away.

10. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    The “f*** ***” was not a good idea, not to mention low class. Would harm have resulted from a smile and a handshake?

I had a homeless lady engage me recently. I’d seen her around and felt infinitely sorry for her and engaged her back. We chatted for 20 minutes or so. I gave her $50 and made her day. It pleased me, too. She was intelligent and the victim of rotten luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2024
  11. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Maybe, but I’m honestly curious why not.

12. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Sorry, but . . . SUCKER. It's likely that this story is laden with embellishment. At least you gave your money away.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  13. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    Do you still have the pics?

• Funny Funny x 5
  14. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Nah, they were too blurry,,,

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. kygator

kygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You seem obsessed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    We need to get ahead of this in Florida and pass a law.

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. GatorFanCF

Apr 14, 2007
    From the Temptations:
    Smiling faces sometimes
    Pretend to be your friend
    Smiling faces show no traces
    Of the evil that lurks within (can you dig it?)
    Smiling faces, smiling faces, sometimes
    They don't tell the truth
    Smiling faces, smiling faces tell lies and I got proof
    Oh, oh, yeah

This dude was angry. He did not approach me from the front...he came at me from behind (it's an aggressive move) yelling at me why I didn't engage him. I did not say that in the OP that he was smiling.... You can show your teeth and have your mouth wide open and it's possible it's a friendly smile and it's also possible it's code for "I want to eat you." When someone is yelling at me, challenging me, provoking me I'm not interested in being their friend. I did not trust him = no hand shake.

Having said that, I can agree that I would have said something different in lieu of F-you if I had to do it over.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  18. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007

Absolutely. You should never say that to someone unless you preface it with "May I." (Even then, as a pickup line, it's not a good idea.)

19. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    You mentioned your son’s height, weight, and age and mentioned your own height and weight. I am sincerely curious about the height, weight, and age of the other guy and how those might have been relevant to your perception and feelings around the encounter.

20. GatorFanCF

Apr 14, 2007
    For your reading pleasure - see the comments from as far back as 2017 as this is not a "new" thing.
    CD Bullies in New York

My instincts were correct. This is not a mental issue. These are hucksters looking for a mark. I was his mark. F-him again. White man, red man, black man, et al if you're coming after me I'm going to protect myself. I don't do rear end holes, color is irrelevant.

• Winner Winner x 1