Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

You Think Florida Education is in Bad Shape?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by chemgator, Jun 1, 2023.

1. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Check out what they are throwing out of the curriculum in India (for middle and high school):

The periodic table
    Environmental sustainability
    Evolution
    Democracy
    Diversity
    Political parties
    The Industrial Revolution

India has removed the periodic table and evolution from school textbooks

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    hmm. The article was long on people criticizing the new curriculum but short - as in zero - as to why they did what they did. Would be interesting to know their rationale. Right now it looks like a 100% stupid move.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Don't give Florida any ideas. We don't need a war on "woke science."

4. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    As it stands now, according to Florida "history", nothing of significance happened in the United States on December 6th, 1865. Nothing at all!! Also, the Constitution now ends after the first two Amendments.

• Funny x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Come On Man x 2
    • Creative x 1
    • Off-topic x 1
  5. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, but you want our kids to 'relive' the horrors of our country's past and you are okay with that.

We DO NOT NEED to FEDERALIZE "learning" like the COMMUNISTS and the NAZIS of the past... nor like the CCP are doing to their children today..

Now I know who the NWO type are here... They're negative repping this post.

One more thing, Our country has never federalized learning curriculum. It is and always has been a states right to deign that for our children.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2023
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 8
    • Funny Funny x 3
  6. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    You mean actual history?? Yes, I am very much ok with our children understanding the history of this country. The good, the bad and the ugly.

Only a Republican is scared of the truth and facts.

• Winner x 6
    • Like x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  7. slocala

slocala VIP Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Based on this… FL is way worse.

NCERT lists reasons behind deletion of chapters from Class 10 textbooks

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. jjgator55

jjgator55 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Absolutely I do.
    “A well informed citizenry is the best defense against tyranny.”

Thomas Jefferson

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    They need to know about our history. The good and the bad

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    That’s called learning history. History must include the good and the bad to be accurate. Otherwise you aren’t actually teaching history, you are just teaching fairytales or propaganda.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  11. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Disturbing ...
    India Cuts Periodic Table and Evolution from School Textbooks.

India Cuts Periodic Table and Evolution from School Textbooks
    The periodic table, as well as evolution, won’t be taught to under-16s in India as they start the new school year

...The news that evolution would be cut from the curriculum for students aged 15–16 was widely reported last month, when thousands of people signed a petition in protest. But official guidance has revealed that a chapter on the periodic table will be cut, too, along with other foundational topics such as sources of energy and environmental sustainability. Younger learners will no longer be taught certain pollution- and climate-related topics, and there are cuts to biology, chemistry, geography, mathematics and physics subjects for older school students.

Overall, the changes affect some 134 million 11–18-year-olds in India’s schools. The extent of what has changed became clearer last month when the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) — the public body that develops the Indian school curriculum and textbooks — released textbooks for the new academic year that started in May.

“The idea [behind the new policy] is that you make students ask questions,” says Anindita Bhadra, an evolutionary biologist at the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research in Kolkata. But she says that removing fundamental concepts is likely to stifle curiosity, rather than encourage it. “The way this is being done, by saying ‘drop content and teach less’”, she says, “that’s not the way you do it”.

EVOLUTION AXED
    Science educators are particularly concerned about the removal of evolution. A chapter on diversity in living organisms and one called ‘Why do we fall ill’ has been removed from the syllabus for class-9 students, who are typically 14–15 years old. Darwin’s contributions to evolution, how fossils form and human evolution have all been removed from the chapter on heredity and evolution for class-10 pupils. That chapter is now called just ‘Heredity’. Evolution, says Joshi, is essential to understanding human diversity and “our place in the world”.
    _________

Check out link for more information.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    Never really thought about how evolution might be perceived in Hinduism. Seems like this is a relatively recent push.

From the article:

Joshi says that the curriculum revision process has lacked transparency. But in the case of evolution, “more religious groups in India are beginning to take anti-evolution stances”, he says. Some members of the public also think that evolution lacks relevance outside academic institutions.

Aditya Mukherjee, a historian at Jawaharlal Nehru University in New Dehli, says that changes to the curriculum are being driven by Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), a mass-membership volunteer organization that has close ties to India’s governing Bharatiya Janata Party. The RSS feels that Hinduism is under threat from India’s other religions and cultures.

“There is a movement away from rational thinking, against the enlightenment and Western ideas” in India, adds Sucheta Mahajan, a historian at Jawaharlal Nehru University who collaborates with Mukherjee on studies of RSS influence on school texts. Evolution conflicts with creation stories, adds Mukherjee. History is the main target, but “science is one of the victims,” she adds.

14. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Actually, we could use that. While they weren’t called “woke” in their day, they sure acted like it and gave us these gems;

That the world would exhaust oil by the end of the 1900’s.

That butter was bad and margarine was much healthier.

The earth would be too hot for plant and animal life by oh, right about now. (Remember it was Global Warming before they had to change the name)

That Y2K would change shut down everything so hoard your food.

Now we’re told that certain races are more racist than others, that men should be able to compete in women’s sports, and that violence is peaceful protesting as long as it’s directed toward the “correct” target.

No, thank you we don’t need that. And as an engineer, I am offended that you label this horse crap as science. But since I’m A) Male, B) White, C) Educated I won’t hold out any hope that this offensive behavior
    will be addressed and that my grievance will be granted remedy.

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Yes, yes, we know you're offended. Y'all are perpetually aggrieved over something.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    A Super Lib calling someone perpetually aggrieved. You do have a sense of humor after all!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    You're the one who just went on a rant about how offended you are over a joke I made about "woke science."

18. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    That’s bull. You know me well enough to know that was tongue in cheek.

You can’t bullshit a bullshitter!

19. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    If they learn history, they will be less likely to repeat the negative events in history, and therefore, they will NOT have to re-live it. Those who don't learn history are doomed to repeat it (and therefore, re-live it). History teachers rarely break out the rifles and ammunition when discussing wars these days.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    Soon there will be a caste system in the US bc of education

private schools unfettered by child harming politics will educate kids at a higher level than public a wide gulf

as maga cleanses public education of stuff they dont like, those public school kids will be dumber and unable to keep up with a world economy.

According to a Business Insider report in 2018, the U.S. ranked 38th in math scores and 24th in science worldwide.

15 years from now the damage will be seen in the adult work force

Tell me I’m wrong. I will be back with examples Im seeing right now

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023