Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Women Pastors and The SBC

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Gatorhead, Jun 14, 2023.

1. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Not throwing stones at the SBC, because the RCC is just as bad if not worse, but the eccelesiological argument for gender restricted leadership is not exactly persuasive, either via tradition or scripture.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    Doesn't make sense to me that having the wrong genitals can disqualify half the population from being the spiritual leader of a group.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    A little off subject but am I doomed for hell for coping a feel with the Pastors daughter after that church social back in the 60s? I mean I would have gone further but she put up the stop sign after a little fooling around.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  4. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    "Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence." (1 Timothy 2:11-12)

"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak." (1 Corinthians 14:34)

That's scripture. And if most members of the SBC are like I was growing up (that is, brainwashed), they are biblical literalists. As one of their leaders once said, there are conservatives and moderates but there is "no left pew" in the SBC.

5. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The confessional thread is down the hall ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    What is it that liberals always say ? Don’t like the rules, join another club ?

7. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    Man, there ain't but two clubs. Heaven and Hell. What are you saying?

8. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    There is only one club reality. Heaven and hell are theoretical nonsense.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  9. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    Now you tell me!

10. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    The answer has been in front of you all this time. lol

11. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    This is perhaps true for imams, but nor for rabbis. a rabbi is a leader of a congregation and a teacher. They spend years in study and are ordained.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. dave_the_thinker

dave_the_thinker VIP Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Milton, FL
    What do genitals have to do with gender? Are you a baptist or something?

Could you find out? I'm not in a position to ask her.

Two things here I can't figure out.
    1. Would women pastors don pinstriped suits and relentlessly knock on the door of anyone who ever stopped to use the bathroom in a Southern Baptist church?
    2. If they didn't, would they still be Southern Baptists?

13. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    Can a Yankee from north of the Mason Dixon Line answer an altar call and join the Southern Baptists? And if found out, what would happen to him or her? He or she could be considered some kind of informant or some demon sent by the devil. (I've known some mean Southern Baptists. While I was being baptized as a kid, somebody even stole my clothes.)

14. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Did God ordain men, or the men that wrote down what he “said”

15. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    I just want to be clear - social science actually backs this up a bit. But the difference is shrinking. I've seen the difference between satisfaction of women working for men vs. women as low as a difference of 2% now. And when i say difference, that is just "satisfaction" broadly. There are plenty of other studies that show there are many benefits of having women in positions of power. Notably, less discrimination based on sex, more collaborative work, and significantly less sexual abuse of children.

• Like Like x 1
  16. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    Back in biblical times God was a regular chatterbox. Who knows why he shut up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  17. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Did I take a wrong turn ? I thought this was a hangout for Southern Baptists.

18. mrhansduck

Nov 23, 2021
    I don’t think most Southern Baptists or other religious conservatives distinguish between biological sex and gender identity. That’s why I phrased it the way I did, trying to be a little provocative about the exclusive focus on peoples’ genitals. Seemed like a funny application of it in the spiritual context.

I’m not saying they literally believe male genitals contain spiritual powers. They do believe that God has deemed men - and only men - to have the ability to be head of churches. I’m not sure why women can’t do it other than the belief that God doesn’t condone it.

19. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Your last sentence there could be teased out a bit. But I’m guessing a deep dive wouldn’t get much traction with pagans.

20. mrhansduck

Nov 23, 2021
    The notion of men having a special spiritual role and authority is getting less and less traction with other Christians, too, which is why it’s become a point of disagreement. They can do what they want in their own churches of course. I find it antiquated but don’t expect them to care what I think.