Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Wind and solar exceeding Coal in 2023

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by l_boy, Jun 30, 2023.

1. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    I read your link and I don’t feel educated by the writing of a person I do know, have never heard of, and who’s qualifications remain a mystery….opining about a subject without a single reference to anything….no erase arch, no statistics, no journals. I think you literally posted a blog of a soccer mom/social Justice warrior.

I will certainly acknowledge that mining sucks for the environment and kills all types of plants and animals. I hate mining, I really love animals. But, we have to be able to find a realistic balance of living a certain lifestyle (having a/c) with being a proper steward of the planet. That solution is beyond my intellectual abilities, but I will participate in the discussion.

2. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    There is a company that is building small modular nuclear plants now. Being factory built and modular. The construction time is less than a year. I saw something on YouTube about it this morning. Let me find the link.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    He does lots of videos about energy and battery storage. He isn’t a cheerleader who hypes stuff that isn’t going to scale.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/07/04/renewable-energy-texas-heat/

This summer, like last summer, Texas has battled a brutal heat wave that regularly reaches triple-digit temperatures. This summer, like last summer, the heat wave triggered record levels of energy demand. This summer, like last summer, there have miraculously been no rolling blackouts; in fact, this year, the state’s grid operator has so far asked for just one day of voluntary energy conservation.

And this summer, like last summer, renewables have been the heroes of the story — yet they remain curiously vilified by politicians in the Lone Star State.

In recent years, renewable energy has been ramping up across Texas. The state has rapidly increased solar capacity, for instance, enabling as much as 16,800 megawatts of solar power to be produced on the grid as of the end of May. That’s roughly six times the capacity that existed in 2019 (about 2,600 megawatts), according to data from the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, the state’s grid operator.

After all, several thermal-energy plants in the state went offline in recent weeks, as coal, natural gas and nuclear facilities appeared to buckle under extreme temperatures and shrinking maintenance windows. Additional solar and wind generation more than made up the difference. Renewables overall have lately represented roughly 35 to 40 percent of power generation at peak, compared with about 30 percent last year.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. dingyibvs

dingyibvs Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Uranium will need to be mined. There are some work being done about harvesting them from the ocean, but that's very experimental right now. No idea on the environmental impact of it either.

Thorium would be less environmentally damaging, as it's often mined alongside other ores. We actually spend a good amount of resources getting rid of Thorium right now.

6. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/07/13/china-renewables-ev-peak-emissions/

This year alone, China could add more solar power than the cumulative total in place in the United States. Last year, the increase in China’s solar and wind power nearly matched the amount of electricity used in many of the world’s major economies, including South Africa, Australia and Spain.

This dizzying pace means China’s carbon dioxide emissions will peak years ahead of its 2030 target. And where one global power leads, others are compelled to follow

After several years of rapid installation, China’s solar and wind output is big. Its total solar and wind power generation — not the annual increase — in 2022 was more than twice the electricity use of Canada, and far more than what Brazil, Japan or Russia consumes. This year, its solar and wind output could get close to the total power output of India.

Total non fossil fuel approx 18.3% in China and increasing.

China Increasing Renewable and Fossil Fuel Energy | NextBigFuture.com.

But coal and gas are still increasing also. It really shows that to the degree using less fossil fuels makes a difference with climate change any time soon, a lot of it comes down to China.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2023
  8. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    it appears that the finances behind wind have beam upset by inflation. more costs to the taxpayer or ratepayer to pursue decarbonization seems to be the theme

America's Bet on Wind Power Is Running Into a Big Problem (msn.com)

But behind the scenes, the news about wind power is more sobering. Financially, the industry is teetering, with a parade of companies planning to renegotiate or pull out of contracts, jeopardizing plans for projects that were expected to provide electricity for millions of homes. Inflation is erasing profits, causing some of the largest energy firms in the world to back away. “Returns on offshore wind are becoming more and more challenged,” Shell CEO Wael Sawan told Barron’s last month, just days after a Shell joint venture said it would pull out of a power contract in Massachusetts. Shell won’t build renewable projects that can’t earn initial returns of 6% to 8%, he said.

At least eight multinational companies in three states have quietly started to back out of wind contracts, or ask to renegotiate deals in ways that will pass more costs to consumers. Beyond Shell (ticker: SHEL), they include BP (BP), Denmark’s Orsted (DNNGY), Norway’s Equinor (EQNR), Spain’s Iberdrola (IBDRY), Portugal’s Energias de Portugal (EDPFY), and France’s Engie (ENGIY) and state-owned Electricite de France. The projects those companies are building will collectively cost tens of billions of dollars to construct and connect to the grid. The cost problems they’re facing make offshore wind a dicey investment proposition today, with the potential for substantial write-downs ahead.

9. enviroGator

enviroGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Now do inflation for a new coal powered plant...

10. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Not uncommon for new technologies to run into financial obstacles. The natural gas boom was great for consumers but the industry lost many billions as excess supply was created.

11. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    All good news. The part about politicians vilifying it, though…. I mean, that part of the county makes a lot of money off fossil fuels … it’s about the money and the writing on the wall that the party is coming to an end….

12. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
  13. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
  14. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Never a fan of the people that assume everyone who understands the hydrocarbon/nuclear/coal/etc is a viable form of energy is anti solar and anti wind (hydro). That said…there are pros and cons to everything. And the answer includes all forms of energy!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
  16. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Wind and solar are propping up the Texas power grid amid a brutally long heat wave | CNN Business

As temperatures soared into the triple-digits on Wednesday, renewable energy was providing 30 to 40% of the power the state needed, according to analysis of state data from Texas energy expert Doug Lewin.

And as the state struggled through an early heatwave in June,
    non-fossil fuel power including renewables and nuclear made up 55% of total generation on June 28 and 29 and close to 50% of the power needed during the evening peak, according to statistics from the federal Energy Information Administration.

17. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    As Heat Waves Roast Texas, Batteries Keep Power Grid Humming

As Heat Waves Roast Texas, Batteries Keep Power Grid Humming
    A surge in battery storage is helping Texas beat the heat without additional fossil fuels

A battery boom is helping to stabilize the Texas power grid, offering a template for utilities that want to cut their greenhouse gases even as air conditioners hum wildly during heat waves.

The growth of batteries was evident last week when energy storage facilities injected a record amount of power into Texas’ electric system. It was badly needed on an evening when the state’s primary grid operator had called on consumers to conserve energy.

. Texas has installed 2.5 gigawatts of battery capacity over the last five years — about a quarter of total U.S. battery capacity. Only California has installed more. “It is like two nuclear power plants worth of support for the grid,” said Michael Webber, a professor at the University of Texas, Austin, who studies the power system.

18. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm watching the Republican debate. Virtually all the participants have taken the position that the incentives for the purchase of electric vehicles in Biden's legislation is an indirect subsidy to China which is currently the largest producer of batteries for EVs in the world. While accurate Biden and the Democrats can easily rebut that argument by noting this:
    North America is now the growth leader for new battery factories

19. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's even worse than that. Texas has brown coal, which pollutes more than the higher-quality coals and produces more acid rain, I believe.

20. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009