Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Willy Korn for OC

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Dec 5, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. partdopy

partdopy GC Hall of Fame

Feb 1, 2012
    Found the guy nobody wants to talk to at Thanksgiving dinners.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. theycallmecoach

theycallmecoach All American

Sep 25, 2017

What is the difference if it is working?

The offense works well enough to win. The defense does not.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    The offense may have worked if you are just looking at points and yards.

Now look into how many times Billy killed momentum with conservative playcalling or took unnessary risks like the F$U game.

Also with his mind 100% on playcalling game management, use of TOs, and special teams were neglected.

Our offense may have scored points but that doesn’t tell the whole picture.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. ufmc84

ufmc84 All American

Aug 13, 2017
    Exactly. This team does not have balance. When one side is working, the other side is not. When both start clicking we get ST blunders. Personal fouls, undisciplined false starts, encroachment, loafing, lack of physicality. An OC is a great place to start, hopefully Billy can focus on everything else with some help on the offense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    The offense will be better with or without an OC - the defense HAS to get respectable.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  6. partdopy

partdopy GC Hall of Fame

Feb 1, 2012
    The difference is it could be better, but more importantly if you're struggling while doing things differently than everyone who is succeeding it's a clear statement to stop doing that.

I don't know what goes on behind the scenes and don't pretend too, but I can 100% say that having an offensive coordinator would have allowed BN to spend more time mentoring the youngest DC in program history. Which is your primary job as a leader if you choose to hire aspirational candidates.

Trying to do two jobs is a recipe for failure, especially if you're not hiring proven talent to run the rest of your organization. That's a fact in any business.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. ufstrong57

ufstrong57 Junior

Nov 13, 2023
    And where has that gotten us so far? Big swings and misses. I would rather take a chance on an up and coming coach who would sign such a contract than to do what we've been doing pissing in the wind. If that up and coming coach doesn't work out, we are not encumbered with a huge buyout. Or we could pursue insanity as we've been doing. I wonder how much money have we spent with the last several coaches that didn't work out including paying all the assistants? I bet that amount is staggering.

Truth is we've only had two or three successful coaches for the football team. Great coaches are hard to find so why spend premium dollars with can't miss coaches who turn out to be duds and way too expensive? Just asking

Last edited: Jan 1, 2024
  8. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2017
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  9. ufstrong57

ufstrong57 Junior

Nov 13, 2023
    lol, I hope we get Korn

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    Napier WAS the up and coming coach. Dude, just admit it.. you just want to whine and moan about Napier. That’s fine. Lots of so called fans like you. But now you are whining yourself in. Ickes. We need to hire Kiffin! ( Not an up and coming coach.. very definition of a retread or experienced coach depending on how you look at it) We need to hire an up and comer … very definition of a hot prospect many were looking at from a small school in Louisiana… named Napier.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    So, was the bowl game an audition for his acumen and so the Gator faithful will embrace his selection, or will we pull a Tennessee and Schiano?

IMO, they were fighting WAY above their weight class and so the score is not indicative of what he may bring. I say anything that is not "staying the course" is a good thing.

• Like Like x 1
  12. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2017
    Nobody's pulling a TN and Schiano over an OC. Looked to me like an overmatched team that didn't help themselves by dropping balls that could have been caught. No issue schematically.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    45-6 Oregon over Liberty. Looks like Liberty offense does not work well against the best of P5

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  14. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    If he does come here, I sincerely hope so.

15. Gator40

Gator40 Avada Kedavra

Apr 3, 2007
    Don't know if you can insinuate that. Does Liberty have P5 talent to go with that scheme? Not at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. missourigator

missourigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    is he really coming here a rumor or his he on our radar?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Boredom, speculation and conspiracy

No one knows
    My sorrow

18. ufmc84

ufmc84 All American

Aug 13, 2017
    Oregon was clearly one of the best teams in the country this year. G5 and ACC champs should have an annual bowl game against one another. UGA v Oregon would have been a great game.

Impossible to judge Liberty coaches on a bowl game where the talent disparity was so vast. We don’t need the next Steve Spurrier to come in as Billy’s OC, we need someone competent that can leave the head coach to concentrate on the big picture and the overall game. Willy Korn will be a great hire if he’s the guy.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    Asked and answered. Nobody you’d want to come here is signing that contract. Anyone going to a premier p5 school is getting these clauses in their contract. If you won’t give it to them, someone else will.
    Yes it sucks. Yes it’s stupid. Yes it’s a waste of money. Yes it’s going to continue.

20. ShadowCat

ShadowCat All American

Jan 6, 2015
    Hire Korn for OC and Napier could then focus on Special Teams and the various clock management skills.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.