Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Willy Korn for OC

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Dec 5, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Stricklin can not be involved in picking Napier’s successor.

A scenario where we fire the AD and the HC and find ourselves with 50% roster turnover and an imploded recruiting class just weeks from NSD is as close to an extinction-level event as you will find.

This is why some folks are saying Strcklin’s future depends on the men’s basketball season. If no Big Dance, Stricklin gets canned and you have April-August to find his replacement. That replacement will then be ready to make the call on Napier if necessary.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Sale is the oc supposedly. There’s another oline coach so he shouldn’t be too distracted.

3. theycallmecoach

theycallmecoach All American

Sep 25, 2017
    That is usually true of people who are really not that wise. A wise person usually does not care what he knows, he wishes to learn more and share it with others.

And casting aspersions at others is simply childish.

4. theycallmecoach

Sep 25, 2017
    I really would not count on that. It might happen but our president and the board are not interested in athletics compared to academics IMHO.

And paying Napier a $31 million dollar buyout in season or before or a $25 million dollar buyout after the season is not reasonable to any administrator at UF or the Bull Gators. And no one is going to raise that much money without the Bull Gators. I am not sure they would even want to try.

Athletic money is already allocated or to be raised later.

I have not seen any person knowledgeable about our situation who thinks that Billy is going to get fired before the end of his 4th season at the earliest.

Athletic departments can not just go around firing everyone without giving them a chance to succeed.

It is going to start happening less and less IMHO.

But I was wrong once. At least I think that I was actually wrong once. I am kidding. I was probably wrong twice! (That is a joke, son. that is a joke.!)

You are welcome to your opinion but what happens to Billy Napier is not going to depend upon what people on a message board like you and I think.

It is going to depend upon what the big boys think about Billy and what the numbers say.

The numbers are stacked in Billy's favor at this time. If he does not produce in a couple of years those numbers will probably change to be in Billy's detractors' favor.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    My employers have informed me that I can suck for four years, but they’re cracking down after that.

• Funny Funny x 7
  6. ufstrong57

ufstrong57 Junior

Nov 13, 2023
    I tend to agree with you here especially with the enormous buyout along with a 7 year contract. If anything, BN stays and if things go south it's possible the AD is canned.
    The only scenario that quickens BN's departure if things don't improve is when fans stop showing up. Bottom line, SS has screwed UF big time with the lucrative contract given to BN. You give that much trust in a coach who has only won at one Sunbelt smaller school. Seems SS was locked into only one candidate and right now imho the ship is sinking. Hopefully things can still turn around but I just don't know.

• Like Like x 1
  7. gatornee

gatornee Sophomore

Apr 9, 2007
    Who did Liberty play against?

• Like Like x 1
  8. theycallmecoach

Sep 25, 2017
    Billy was the hottest candidate we had a reasonable shot at. He was being sought by others. And the admins signed off on the contract so I doubt they back down before 4 years at the least. We will wait and see.

I have been wrong before and I will be wrong again.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. gatorgrad87

gatorgrad87 Freshman

Oct 10, 2018
    What coach do you think is going to come to UF without a deal like that?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. theycallmecoach

Sep 25, 2017
    They play on the first against Oregon which is a tough matchup for them.

If the Liberty offense has a better than average day you will know we have something.

But many people think that Liberty might give them a pretty good game. I think that Oregon is ranked 7th and Liberty is ranked 9th in the country.

So they may be able to go toe to toe with Oregon.

11. gatornee

gatornee Sophomore

Apr 9, 2007
    Was being flippant. If they go toe to toe with Oregon, with a great offensive showing then fine. But looking at their schedule they don’t seem to play against high caliber teams. We shall see what happens. It’s one of those David vs Goliath matchups.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    Just curious, who did we beat for Billy’s signature?

• Like Like x 2
  13. avgator2000

avgator2000 Senior

Feb 2, 2019
    Oswego, NY
    I think my biggest gripe is everyone saying academics over athletics. Michigan is a very good to great public institution and have been able to figure out a balance between athletics and academics. The same could be said about ND as well. My time at UF was when Lombardi was pres well until the whole Oreo thing happened and we got president Young. Anywho, when Lombardi was pres we were riding high. Repeatedly being SEC champs, a national title, and a heisman trophy. All the while the incoming freshman class had an avg SAT of 1300 (1996). It can be done but I guess the administration must love the fact that Georgia has lapped us in every which way. If they are happy with being second academically to Vandy but 10th in conference in recruiting and near the bottom of the SEC, just say it. If they are too embarrassed to acknowledge it, then maybe some changes need to be made. Changing coaches every 3 years accomplishes nothing if they aren’t given the tools to compete and overtake the big boys in conference. Muschamp, McElwain, Mullen, and Napier all have failed or currently failing. There has to be something deeper going on. Watch we hire someone else and rinse and repeat. It is not going to change. I guess we need more seat backs in the stadium for the fat cats so that they are more comfortable watching a 4 win team….. rant over lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. ufstrong57

ufstrong57 Junior

Nov 13, 2023
    I understand he was a hot commodity but that's a lot of trust and money for a coach who had one really good year. I do believe other power 5 candidates could have been looked at. I think BN said what SS wanted to hear, as in building the program brick by brick, no doubt BN is a high character guy, and I'm sure BN was using a model similar to that of Alabama. But still, a lot of money for a coach who never coached as a hc in a power 5 conference. It seems to be a gamble that might not work out. But all of this is hindsight and I most definitely have been wrong many times.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. theycallmecoach

Sep 25, 2017
    Billy was 31-5 his last 3 years at Louisiana Lafayette. That is more than one good year. He was one of the hottest coaches out there.

And no one knows what will happen when you hire a coach.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  16. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    So back to WK. Has anyone heard anything more than the wispy rumors and internet smoke? The hopes of the optimistic? The prayers of the sane? Anything more solid than a fart in the wind?

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Gatorfred

Gatorfred GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2012
    You nailed it

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    And if people think we got picked apart in recruiting this year...wait till next year if we follow Vegas prediction of 4 wins. Its just the hard truth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. theycallmecoach

Sep 25, 2017
    I hear that he is coming but I have been wrong before.

My ex-wife said that I was wrong very often. And she was never wrong!

20. theycallmecoach

Sep 25, 2017
    I wish that someone trusted me that much! $$$$

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.