Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Willy Korn for OC

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Dec 5, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    ruh-roh

“Lagway, the quarterback and crown jewel of Florida's 2024 recruiting class, anticipates Gators head coach Billy Napier holding onto the responsibilities despite abundant social media rumors proposing UF will hire a new offensive play-caller in the early days of the team's offseason.”

"From what I know, coach Napier will 100% call the plays," Lagway told reporters at the Under Armour All-America Game media day event on Friday.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...erback and crown,days of the team's offseason.

• Informative Informative x 4
  2. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    "From what I know, coach Napier will 100% call the plays,"

Build the wall.

3. theycallmecoach

theycallmecoach All American

Sep 25, 2017
    Out of respect for Liberty's players.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. cdngator411

cdngator411 All American

Oct 28, 2017
    Not ideal. I am not that upset with his job as an OC outside of taking the foot off the gas too frequently and when up a few points, calling it like we are up 21. I just felt he was way too distracted and not as sharp as he should be overseeing the whole team operations on game days as the OC. Hopefully the other staff changes gets the right people in place to offset that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. ufmc84

ufmc84 All American

Aug 13, 2017
    McElwain refused to fire Nussmeier. Lost his job.
    Mullen refused to fire Grantham. Lost his job.
    If Billy refuses to fire himself as OC, he’ll have something in common with those two coaches.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
  6. Yep. It is hard not to look history and compare him to the failed head coaches. I really like him and want him to succeed, but I cannot imagine what analytics he is looking at that justifies having two OL coaches and no OC—or at the very least not promoting Callaway and/or Gonzalez as passing game coordinator or co-OC. There is no need to keep Rob Sales’ co-OC title to justify his salary. Napier should pay Sales whatever he wants but figure out the best way to manage the clock and situational football. I doubt that having two OL coaches and zero OCs is that winning formula but if that is the decision then it better be executed much better next year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2017
    The whiners are coming!

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2017
    Who says that's what we're doing? HC calls the plays at Liberty, maybe we dump an OL guy and bring Korn into a similar role. Or maybe Billy told Lagway to say this to rev up the haters and he's hiring a guy to be the playcaller. Lots of possibilities that aren't status quo ante.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. GoCocks3877

GoCocks3877 All American

Nov 14, 2015
    it’s called pride. Coaches like Eli Drinkwitz realized he wasn’t a sufficient play caller so he puts his own desires aside and hire a dang good OC.

it’s about not trying to be the smartest man in the room. It’s about what is gonna make the team better.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    I don't buy it. Coaches leave teams all the time during bowl season to take other jobs. If it happens , I believe it is more contractual.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    There is resolute, there is stubborn and there is oblivious.

Until further notice, I am going to mark him down in the "oblivious" category. But if I am wrong, what I am NOT wrong in is that he has burned completely through his political capital and he is cutting things REAL close. The best analogy IMO is the last year of Mike White. I do not doubt that he was "encouraged" to get help on offense coaching and he decided to do it his way one last time and if it did not work out then he would leave.

Napier is playing with fire.

• Agree Agree x 6
  12. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Unfortunately Dan Mullen was always trying to be the smartest man in the room.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. theycallmecoach

Sep 25, 2017
    Actually, Eli was forced to get a OC. He did not make that decision himself.

• Informative Informative x 4
  14. theycallmecoach

Sep 25, 2017
    We will have a better picture soon about Napier.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    IMO, the first 4 games will be his bellwether. And then comes the watch...for when Stricklin gets canned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. theycallmecoach

Sep 25, 2017
    Maybe our new OC has more personal integrity than that. In addition, if he were a new HC somewhere he would probably be forced to leave to get ready for the coming year.

An OC is not as crucial to the present scheme as a new HC. A new OC can catch up pretty quickly. A HC has to get there as soon as possible. He is the point man for everything.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. theycallmecoach

Sep 25, 2017
    I do not think that is true but we will have to wait and see. What usually happens is the OC makes the call and the HC has the right to overrule him or they discuss it quickly or call time out if it is a crucial play.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2023
  18. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  19. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    Rob Sale is clogging up progress and needs to go, asap, imho. He was paid wayyyy too much to come here for the role he’s in. He is the highest paid assistant along with AA, let that sink in a bit. His unit is the weakest link, by far, and don’t get me started about his trail prowess. Take the $1.5mil you’re (over) paying the 2 OL coaches and go poach the BEST OL coach in football with it.

• Winner x 5
    • Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Creative x 1
  20. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Wise men know what they know, and know what they don’t know. They don’t spend their hours trying to prove they know more than others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.