Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Will Griffin

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Jun 1, 2024.

1. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Most concerned about LB depth and OL gelling. Feel okay about the rest. Believe Baugh will get some Carrie’s against Miami. Going to have to win with what we have.

2. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    L
    rb is usually a quick fix. Lbs seldom make a mark early and we have Shemar and very talented youngsters. I expect that group will significantly improve over the next 2-3 years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. r0r080

r0r080 Senior

Jul 31, 2019
    I comment of recruits seldom, and when I do its my honest assessment.....the good, the bad, and the ugly. My initital post in this thread just simply touched on my doubts on this recruit and my feeling between now and the end of his senior year, there being a high probability of other QB prospects in the 2026 class being more hihgh profile recruits.......The 1st one that came to mind and I mentioned it was Trace Johnson (Doug Johnson's kid) at Buchholz HS.

What cause me to post again was a couple of profiles on here, that decided to rather than taking in the whole of my post was to instead focus my mention of Griffin's most recent performance against Lakeland at the conclusion of Spring. As if my concerns about Griffin were limited to a single spring game.

I little context on Griffin. He came to Jesuit after starting for Northside Christain the previous year as a 8th grader. Jesuit was coming off a 15-0 season that saw them win the state title, during that state title run Jesuit knock off Florida HS perennial powers St Thomas Aquanis during the regular season and Miami Northwestern in the Playoffs, with a a Soph QB by the name of Luke Knight. Luke during that season, completed over 70% of his passes, thre for 30 TD's with 9 INT's. Pretty good numbers for any QB, but in this case a Soph QB with 2 more years of elgibility. The only negative for Luke is that he didnt possess ideal size, as he is in fact under 6 feet tall.

What caught my eye about Griffin, was the following year at Jesuit. Jesuit returning its starting QB Luke Knight, won its first 2 games and then suddenly its announced that Luke is out at Jesuit and Griffin as a freshman would be taking over as Jesuit's starting QB. There was no reason given that Im aware of why Knight was out and had in fact left Jesuit completely, only to eventually end up at Merritt Island HS mid-season and eventually lead Merritt Island to a deep run in the playoffs that year. Luke Knight by the way ended up accepting a appointment to Army where he will play football.

So all those events just cause me to follow Griffin a little more closely, than I would have normally just been a casual follower of Tampa area HS football. Im not always right about kids, one that comes immediately to mind is Carson Beck. I would have been willing to bet money prior to the beginning of last season, Beck wouldn't last as a starting QB for UGA, for a number of reasons that relate back to his days at Manderian HS. I wasn't big on last year's recruit Michai Borieau for the same reason Im not high on current 2025 recruit Myron Charles. Both possess physical assets that should lead them to dominate at the HS level, but both just seem to disappear at times.....Charles Ive personally watched do this.

Bottom line my post arent meant to trash anyone, just provide insight when I feel I have insight that can offer additional insight to the forum.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  4. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Griffin has the skill set UF looks for in pretty much every category. Certainly there is a question on how he will continue to develop, as is true of every soph in HS, but right now he generally checks every box.
    My personal favorite QB in that class is Brady Hart from Cocoa, who definitely needs to fill out and show a little more with his legs but is way ahead of the game in passing production. Ultimately UF can't go wrong with any of the big 4 QB prospects in that class....my pecking order would be Hart, Griffin, Bell, Grubbs but ask 20 people and you will get 20 answers

• Like Like x 2
  5. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Shamar is the only linebacker we have with a significant amount of experience. That should be a concern. We also have a mixed match offensive line that has not played together and cohesion with an offensive line Is very important

6. bogator

bogator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Fort Myers
    Pup?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    A little experience as a true freshman last year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. gatordadx2

gatordadx2 Premium Member

Dec 24, 2017
    He's ready to break out. SC did not want him to leave.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I dig it for sure but we don’t have a veteran lb group. We actually don’t have many established juniors or seniors. We are still a young team. Veteran teams win games.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  10. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Wingo is the leader of that group. Now, you can say he’s a 3-star talent, but I’m hopeful he can be that dude we need to lead that young group.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    He’s been here a bit but has yet to establish himself as a starter , much less a leader of the lb core. Shemar is the guy to me and he may have a year in a half experience. We do hopefully have a ton of talent at the position now. I wanna see 3-4 guys show out. We need it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. r0r080

r0r080 Senior

Jul 31, 2019
    Wingo to me is the ideal team player/leader, and is exactly the kind of player you would want on your team from a chemstry standpoint. Lots of folks may not know or at least remember that during his Soph year at STA, that due to injuries he was asked to QB the team and came within a few points of leadinng the team to the state finals. Speaks volumes of his overall athletic ability.. as well as his ability to lead. Is why I feel his importance on the team cant be emphasized enough!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Injuries have stunted his development, but a great young man, and I expect to see him be very productive this year, barring further injury.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    ... and Kyle Trask, too.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    I've heard Will described as a pro-style QB. If that is accurate, does that surprise you any in a Napier offense?

16. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Remind you of that QB from Ky (22)?

17. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    This kid can run, he just doesn’t use his legs as a first option

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    I actually don't know anything about him yet.

19. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Not familiar enough to give an honest answer. Perhaps tpapabio could chime in.

20. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Lots of Hail Mary’s

• Funny Funny x 1