Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Will building a program work?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Oct 6, 2023.

1. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    I would say yes a few years ago but times have changed with the portal transfer and NIL.
    Take the Gators situation, BN was dealt a mess, he was hired to build a program which may take 3 to 4 years. To do this he installs youth movement which so far translates into mistakes and loses. Which translates to horrendous press and media clobbering plus unhappy fan base. The question will be can he hold onto recruits with such negativity and with a perception BN is on the hot seat. You know other schools will suggest this. Added to this, each year I suspect we will lose key players to the portal which can hinder depth or we may not acquire the same talent in the portal that we’ve lost.
    We have seen teams utilize the portal and have improved almost instantly. So just wondering if the long approach can work with all the recent changes.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  2. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    If your program is struggling, it has to be built. There is no instant championship level gratification, even in this day. Some thought that was Deion is doing is an exception to that rule, but he's also having to build a foundation to build upon. The question should be "how long must it take to build the Gator program from where it was.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. believer

believer GC Hall of Fame

Jun 2, 2007
    We need a generational talent to get the momentum going. Then things will fall into place.

I’m hoping Lagway is just that.

• Like Like x 10
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Yes, it will work. Unfortunately, we have not been patient enough to actually give it time to work. We have fired our last three coaches after short tenures, and that clearly is not working. Time to do something new: give a coach five years to get his program established.

Coaches like Spurrier and Meyer aren't waiting in the wings.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    It might or might not work, not every coach is going to produce a winner even if they are given 10 years.

Florida is patient, 4 years is enough time to see where things are going.

• Agree Agree x 7
  6. uf1998

uf1998 Senior

Aug 19, 2023
    This.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    Meyer wasn't realy "Meyer" until we got Tebow and all of the recuites that followed him to UF

• Disagree Bacon! x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
    • Funny x 1
  8. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Hall of Fame

Jul 24, 2010
    Me too but wow how unlucky we have been in that position is kind of incredible. CDM didnt even know what he had with Trask until forced to play him...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    To be fair, those coaches did things other than lose games to get them fired. Napier so far has no character issues.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  10. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    Everybody builds a program now, what Billy is trying to do is build his culture, imho. Will it win more games, compete for the SEC championship, get in the playoff and ultimately win that. Well, we all desperately hope so, obviously only time will tell. Dabo did, and that’s the closest thing I see to what Billy is trying to build. The road is gonna be bumpy though, buckle up.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I don't agree. He did pretty well at Utah, and Tebow didn't win the '06 Natty for us.

Meyer also won a natty at OSU sans Tebow.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Embrace the UCLA/Stanford model. I think that's our future. . . and frankly, I have no problem with that. College Football is a cess pool now and it's only going to get worse. Get ready for what amounts to a transfer market/window just like European soccer.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Even if it was Tom Brady (or Doug Williams or Warren Moon), why would you trust CBN to game plan, call plays and build a team around him?

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

How about because he’s our head coach?
    It’s obvious to all that you have never supported Coach Napier. You’re a hater — so why post silly rhetorical questions like this?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. ozgatorfan

ozgatorfan Senior

Apr 12, 2007
    We lost 3 Oline starters to transfers. I don’t think that happens this year. Keep them and I think we’re a couple/three games better this year.

• Like Like x 6
  16. GoCocks3877

GoCocks3877 All American

Nov 14, 2015
    Programs need to take a look at what Mark Stoops has done. This guy took Kentucky and put them in great position to win the East this year. Will they? I don’t believe they will, but he’s getting talent on both sides of the ball especially DLine and Oline.

I’m not trying to compare Floridas program to Kentucky’s. But you gotta give coach’s time to rebuild.

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    For some reason he feels that he should be prepared for all of his what if doomsday scenarios, even though he will be nowhere near any room where any meaningful decisions about our teams or our coaches will be made.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  18. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    I think the vast majority of fans are patient enough, but want to see something on the field that's worthy of their optimism. I, for one big reason, want Billy to succeed, because I don't want to go thru another coaching search and to start at the bottom again. Unfortunately for Billy, he's following over a decade of dismal embarrassment. Turning that around doesn't happen overnight. But for success to occur, Billy needs to definitely rethink some of his views on what he should be doing when this season is over. He says he looks at everything, but so far little changes. If he refuses to be introspective, I don't know if he's the guy or not.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    The answer to your question is: yes!

The "noise" outside the program on social media and the hacks doing their normal things (Finebum being Finebum for example) and ESPN promoting its agenda-of-the-month and, most recently, YouTube slicks saying outrageous things for attention and thumbs and subscribers (so they can make $$$$$ off their YouTube outrage) all have little to no bearing inside the building, or the program.

Coach Napier is humble, high-character and highly detail oriented and prefers sticking to his plan(s) unless he sees that something needs altering. Then changes are usually made in the off-season.

Coach knew the needs of Florida's program and actually waited for the job to open. One of the first things he said was Gator Nation needs to stay patient. For some that meant it would take 4 games instead of just 2. For others it might take all the way to the start of the second season. They are now claiming and shouting and bleeting that "if he was a real coach" . . . he could turn a program around by the second year. Well we're still in the second year but this is not a turn around this is a COMPLETE program rebuild.

Starting in the 1990s, Florida has attracted more bandwagon fans that almost any other school. The bandwagon fans were criticizing Steve Spurrier and he even said, when he left, "10 wins isn't enough here any more" and unless Florida won an SECC or a NC the season was considered wasted!

When Florida was winning National Championships in 2006-2008 some of these same "fans" made things so bad Mrs. Mullen couldn't shop in Gainesville!

Now we have the hysteria most of you have seen glimpses of on Twitter and YouTube and on these boards (until deleted).

This is a long answer but it's intended to show why the loudest "fans" might not be the ones folks should listen to, IMO.

Anyone can put on a Gator jacket and make a YouTube video but the UAA (Bull Gators) and administration are happy with Coach Napier. They understand fully what a complete rebuild was and was going to look like and his detailed plan to achieve it. However, they also understand that other programs want to win too and are legally paying players now with NIL too and throwing $$$ into their programs. Everyone just didn't suddenly stop so Florida could rebuild. Other teams don't play their second or third string while Florida rebuilds.

It will take time and Coach Napier will be given that time. Period.

Disappointment results when expectations are not met. It doesn't matter if those expectations were unreasonable when set. I would (as I do often) encourage folks to enjoy the rebuild happening before our eyes and the kids growing up before our eyes, knowing there will be bumps in the road.

• Winner x 7
    • Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  20. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    I read somewhere there have been death threats to the ST coach. There is some crazy out there.

• Agree Agree x 1