Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Why 'Sound of Freedom,' Jim Caviezel's controversial child sex trafficking film, is a hit

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by flgator2, Jul 12, 2023.

1. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    SMH
    Child sex trafficking is a serious and scary big issue across the globe. Apparently this movie ( I have not seen it) was made in hopes of driving that point home. There have been attacks on it ( Rolling Stone and others) that seem to call it out for perceived but not truly obvious r Asian.( Qnon?)
    Calling ANYONE a pedeophile should be off limits (with out proof). Just because someone doesn’t like this movie, questions its purpose, or ridicules.. doesn’t make them a pedo.
    This board has gotten to the point where if you posts or take a conservative side you have been called racist and if you post or take a liberal
    Sid Wylie are now getting called a support of child sex trafficking.
    It’s ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    “I won’t see it just so I’m not affiliated with nuts”
    Immediately followed by
    “Here is what I’ve seen on tiktok”

seriously funny!

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    Ummm
    That seems to have been your M.O. for the last several years…

• Winner Winner x 3
  4. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Sounds like it's a docudrama, based on real events but most likely including some dramatic license.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
  6. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I saw Cocaine Bear which was “based on real events”. There was a real bear. And there is real cocaine. Everything else, not so real.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. proudgator1973

proudgator1973 VIP Member

I was less than enthusiastic going to see it, because I couldn't see how someone could make a 2 hour movie that would hold you glued to your seats when the move is about sex trafficking of children. But after the first appx. 20 minutes that did strike me as disturbing and depressing, the film pulled me in. The ending is intense but it has a positive, rather amazing but as I understand it, true outcome. I would strongly urge people to see it. Both sides, liberals and conservatives, need to come together on this. I didn't see it as supporting the conspiracy theorists but maybe I need to have my spectacles/vision adjusted. To me it just crys out to people to stop this terrible scourge. It is, as the film finally closes, an indictment on our society that we are letting so many get sold/used as sex slaves at such tender ages.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2023
    • Like Like x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  8. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Good post.

As a society, how many major groups, (just in the US) have covered up long term sexual abuse of minors.
    Just start with every major Church?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. littlebluelw

littlebluelw GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Every?

10. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

No idea. I just heard about it this week from family who saw it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    So . . . that's a yes. :p

Last edited: Jul 13, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. tilly

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. tilly

Well... It was my inlaws, so....:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    I don’t either. But surely awareness is the first step.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. tilly

But awareness apparently only counts if delivered by someone of the same political persuasion.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. proudgator1973

proudgator1973 VIP Member

Final point I'd offer is that the story is truly amazing. Tim Ballard, whose life and career the movie is featuring, put 288 pedophiles away before someone asked him how many children he had saved....and that's when he began to go sideways with homeland security. They were happy to be putting pedophiles behind bars. But when he went to his boss, and expressed his desire to go to Columbia to search for missing and exploited children, he got "mild" support. It was when that support ended and he was told to return home and abort his mission that he had to decide whether to continue inside the government or to work outside the government. This guy Ballard had cajones on steroids. It's an inspiring story about what one man could do who was ready to put it all on the line, risking his own life and family potentially. It's worth seeing just to witness his courage and determination. At the very end as the credits roll, they show the real life Tim Ballard testifying in the U.S. Senate (or possibly House of Representatives) and they show some actual footage of when he was arrested deliberately as part of a scam to bring down the traffickers. When I saw that footage it really came home that this guy really did what they were showing on the screen and he could have so easily been shot or carved up by the cartels.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The new Top Gun was wildly overrated although def a visual spectacle. Movie: pretty bad. Ludicrous cool visuals and expert cinetainment: Oh Yeah.

But the Mission Impossibles are outstanding. Visual glam AND movie.

I’ve seen SOF, Indy, and new MI all in the last two weeks.

All are technically sound and professional products. SOF is all message, no movie. Tries to hook you into the broader message by tying it exclusively to two kids. It loses the thread that way. That’s basically the plot of a thousand other better kidnapping/trafficking movies, but no payoffs. It’s not bad. Also, do the cheap Tuesday matinee, it’s not full fare.

Indy very similar. The nostalgia only carries it so far. A couple of cool set pieces. But HF just not believable anymore, and lazy advancement of the lore. It’s totally OK, and also totally unimportant in the franchise. Again, matinee price only.

MI is still badass. TC def sneaking up on incredulity. But he can still pull it off, if not kill it, and the movie not only acknowledges that but makes it a plot driver. Also wraps the past versions into this one. This one is indeed a critical addition to the franchise.

MI is now maybe the best franchise of all time. The worst is good, the best is stellar, and there isn’t a throwaway or wandering goat in the whole set. And TC is the glue. That franchise is toast once he’s gone.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  18. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    This legislative action from California is timely for this discussion:

SB14, authored by Republican state Sen. Shannon Grove would make child trafficking a serious felony in California. Anyone convicted of at least three serious felonies in California is punished by a sentence of between 25 years and life in prison, known as the “three strikes law.”

The bill had easily passed the
    Democratic-controlled Senate earlier this year, and Grove expected it to have little opposition in the Assembly. On Tuesday, Democrats on the Assembly Public Safety Committee declined to advance the bill, putting it in danger of not passing this year.

The Democrats on that committee do not like the three strikes law and therefore won’t push this bill forward for an assembly floor vote. They would rather see investments in communities so that wouldn’t be a problem.

I’m not a big fan of three strikes, but if ever a crime was worthy of it, it seems child trafficking would be.

Some people wept after the vote total was announced, while others in the audience shouted “coward."

SB14 Update: Gov. Newsom steps in to help revive a stalled bill on child trafficking

20. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Top Gun was popular not because it’s this genuinely great movie, but because people are starving for old-school Hollywood type movies without getting preached to. The only people who don’t see this are people who are too young to compare it to anything and people who like the messaging.

People are not interested in soulless remakes that are really a bait-and-switch for preaching intersectional politics, while simultaneously keeping those projects afloat on nostalgia alone. It’s like Hollywood is trying to do as much as they possibly can to preach to the audience while still remaining profitable, even if it means disrespecting the audience or the source material. And since they’re almost out of original ideas, they tend to resort to cheap appeals to nostalgia.

Top Gun and Mission Impossible are two examples of nostalgia done correctly. Not preachy, they don’t disrespect the source material, and Tom Cruise can still kick ass stunt-wise.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1