Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Why 'Sound of Freedom,' Jim Caviezel's controversial child sex trafficking film, is a hit

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by flgator2, Jul 12, 2023.

1. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Says the person who wishes that there was more child sex trafficking and is big mad when it is pointed out that it isn't as common as some grifty group claimed. Talk about insane...

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

You can’t prove the numbers are inflated by orders of magnitude. Case closed. The rest is you trying unsuccessfully to diminish something for some bizarre reason. Swing and a miss.

3. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    This thread is off the rails. You coming at me in the possibly final pages is strange to me.
    I hope that I never gave that impression. No one believes that slaves had any sort of benefits.
    Please stop it.
    Md is nitpicking stats about atrocities committed, whether it’s 50 or 50,000 it is awful.
    WTF.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    You provided numbers that estimated children and women sex trafficked being an order of magnitude less than the initial claim of children alone. That is proof that your claim was off. If A+B is an order of magnitude less than A and B is 0 or greater, you are off on your estimate of A by an order of magnitude.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Nope. But good try. Swing and a miss.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    You posted numbers that 109,000 children are sex trafficked in the US. You then provided numbers that 15-50,000 women and children are sex trafficked in the US per year. The math and logic is pretty simple here. Your claim of A+B is an order of magnitude less than your claim for A, and B can't be negative. QED.

9. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Your extreme reactionaryism is crushing any ability to reason logically that you might possess.

Do you realize that your insult doesn't apply to md's comments at all? Doesn't apply to any comment at all, actually. But if you really think it does, care to explain how you concluded what you did from it? Rationally.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Why make such a ridiculous, not to mention callous claim? Do you honestly think that making such an accusation advances your argument?

TBH I don't understand why some on the left are intent on arguing the issue. We can all agree that human trafficking, sex trafficking, abuses against children, etc. are heinous crimes. If some folks have their facts twisted, I say "whatever" go ahead. But I'm not going to argue about the numbers or severity of the problem.

I'm also not going to use this particular issue to make horrible accusations about others with who I disagree. So again I ask, why must you?

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    People should be arguing the numbers when there are definite problems with them and when numbers are used (sometimes cynically deliberate, sometimes out of ignorance) to paint a certain picture.

Yes, child sex traffickig occurs. As does child abuse. How much is an important question. The numbers are rife with problems.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    You’re a smart dude. The fact that you couldn’t or didn’t read between the lines makes me lose interest in clarifying. The task seems too daunting.
    FTR I did not say all libbies.

13. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    Wow.
    I can’t even begin to understand why you are joining in with this argument.

14. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    I think you have my point. The fact that I took it so far…has more to do with the poster I replied to.

15. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    Why? Are you suggesting we shouldn't do something about it if the numbers are a little inflated? You're good with doing nothing as long the numbers fall below a certain threshold? What is your number? How many children being trafficked would it take for you to be concerned?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  16. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    He's not wrong. Why are certain posters here attempting to discredit the fight against child trafficking? Even if it's just one child a year, that's one child too many.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Not suggesting that at all. And no, I'm not good with "doing nothing" This is the just another bullshit attempt at an insult employed by folks when they can't make any rational argument. But I'll engage on the questions.

Absolutely, we should be trying to stop child sex-trafficking and abuse, regardless of how big or small the problem is. But the numbers are important for understanding how big or small the problem is in the first place and how to think clearly about these issues, rather than being led by emotions that serve to distort and limit understanding.

There are critical questions regarding such statistics--and they share a similar/same problem with other sex-related crimes including child sexual abuse and sex crimes such as rape and sexual assault writ large, and related, child abductions. The problems feeding into questionable statistics come from under-reporting by victims because children lack the obvious agency and are at the "mercy" of adults, and from adults who might know about trafficking but may not be the perps, who for various reasons don't speak up (fear, indifference etc.), or where government officials such as police are unable to identify such situations even when coming across it in the street, so to speak.

Gaps in reporting and in accurate identification of criminal activity coupled with emotion-driven efforts to exploit fears can (and imo has) led to some bad understanding. WC already beat me to it, but as an example, for years we've been led to believe that child abductions are primarily by strangers and that it's rampant. But decades of study on it has provided a different picture--child abuctions are largely among people who 1) know each other, usually a family member such as non-custodial parent, or associate and 2) often involve custody issues or 3) they're actually runaways.

What is the least likely to occur are the kind of kidnappings that spark the most fear where a child is simply abducted off the street by some stranger looking to do harm. What this has led to is stoking even more fear among parents in ways that lead to irrational beliefs and severe misunderstanding. Now, I get that parents are going to be fearful anyway--for obvious, good reasons--but misunderstanding run amok is grounds for absurd arguments and bad law.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  18. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    [​IMG]

19. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I don't think there is an expectation that anyone has to "read between the lines" on a discussion board. Anyway, constantly seeking to insult is hamstringing you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    I really hesitate to wade further into this but ….. I’m a real bleeding heart when it comes to kids - always have been and don’t want them to suffer. I think none of us do. We all agree with that.
    My wife and I donate monthly to help kids in need and I volunteer locally for kids that have been judged abused or neglected.

Of the kids I’ve worked with the issue is sorry parents and meth, meth, meth, and meth. The kind of people who know exactly how much Sudafed you can get for a catalytic converter.

One kid I worked for had some sex related early childhood trauma perpetrated by momma’s new boyfriend (probably). That sort of thing lasts. He’s 16 now and is a very angry young man - no family members will have him.

And that seems to be typical of the kids that are sexually abused. A few cases involving sex abuse get assigned in this 4 county area but thankfully not a lot. When it does, It happens at the hands of a family member or trusted friend/boyfriend. In nearby towns it has also included a coach and a youth minister.

No numbers or stats, and small sample size, just what I’ve seen first hand.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1