Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Why is the GOP rallying around Trump?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by BigCypressGator1981, Aug 6, 2023.

1. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    Pakistan leading the way: best way to prevent your opponent from winning is to put him in jail.

2. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Having a human baby isn't a punishment.
    (Again, with what I believe to be acceptable exceptions)

Jail, fines, etc are punishment.
    I am not in favor of that for women.

3. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    I don’t know if I’d say having a baby is “punishment” but for a single young mother it is no doubt brutal. I have an 1 year old and a 3 year old and I literally cannot even fathom raising them alone. And I’m financially secure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. tilly

I dont deny the difficulty. I'm just showing how i differentiate between difficulty and actual punishment.

Oh... And as of yesterday, I have 3 teenagers. 13. 17. 19.

A third parent could be handy at times. :D

5. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    And the best way (or at least attempt) to avoid being tried and convicted of multiple crimes that you probably committed is to claim that as a presidential candidate you should be above the law and that any attempt to hold you accountable as political persecution.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. jhenderson251

jhenderson251 Premium Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Women having to seek back alley abortions because trained medical professionals are too afraid to provide care is absolutely a punishment that will impact women, and I think you're smart enough to make that logical conclusion.

This is the same fallacious line of thinking as outlawing drugs to prevent drug use. How's that working out in America?

7. tilly

A high volume of Back alley abortions is for the most part a myth perpetuated through shakey statistics and politics. Most women just have the baby.

No excuse justifies the wiping out of almost 10% of Americas population. (Since RvW).

We have to be better and the status quo wasnt the answer.

• Creative Creative x 1
  8. jhenderson251

Aug 7, 2008
    Any evidence to support that?

Additionally, that blasé comment (oh, most will just have the kid that they absolutely did not want) begs the question, what's a palatable % of abortions attempted with botched medicine or via birth control overdoses?

IMO, tilly, you argue your anti-abortion points more nicely than many others, but it's just a "kinder, gentler, machine-gun hand" advocacy for the same draconian policy preferences.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. tilly

With all do respect. The side that supports a fairly open assault on millions of unborn human beings should be careful to use the term "machine gun".

And you asked for evidence.

Thats my point. There is no evidence to back up the claims about this pandemic of back ally/coat hanger abortions.

What "data" existing is often from obscure sources with an agenda.

10. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Not only is there no evidence to support the women just have the baby instead, lots of history that states back-alley abortion is the norm. Before Roe, every big city hospital had a Septic Ward that housed women who mostly had botched abortion attempts.

Dr. Daniel Mishell is now professor and chairman of the ob-gyn department at the Keck School of Medicine at USC. In the years before Roe vs. Wade, he was a resident at Harbor General Hospital near Torrance and later at what is now County-USC hospital.

The women he treated “were the sickest patients, I’ll tell you that, because of what they did and the infections they got” -- appalling infections like gas gangrene, which killed tissue and sometimes the patient. “We had ladies who got so infected they went in shock and their kidneys shut down. A lot of them did die.”

At any one time, 15 or 20 women lay in the county hospital septic abortion ward, an additional half a dozen at Harbor. They were too sick to talk, but Mishell knew the common thread: usually unmarried and abandoned by the man, uniformly, suicidally desperate.

They jabbed into their uteruses with knitting needles and coat hangers, which Mishell sometimes found still inside them. They stuck in bicycle pump nozzles, sometimes sending a fatal burst of air to the heart. They’d try to insert chemicals -- drain cleaner, fertilizer, radiator-flush -- and miss the cervix, corrode an artery and bleed to death. Mishell once put a catheter into a woman’s bladder and “got a tablespoon of motor oil.”

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. jhenderson251

Aug 7, 2008
    This wording is pretty much my point. You seem to want it both ways regarding the ferocity of your own position, but when push comes to shove, your compassionate understanding yields to a dogmatic and extreme interpretation.

I don't say that to be judgmental. I think very highly of you. But I think it bears mentioning that you hold a very extreme view on abortion that is no less draconian simply because you try to be nice about it.

Lastly, this is perhaps the most charged issue in politics. I doubt a source without an agenda exists for either side of this argument.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2023
  12. tilly

All fair my friend. No hard feelings when this hot button gets pushed.

13. AndyGator

AndyGator VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Yet another thread gone completely sideways :eek:

14. jhenderson251

Aug 7, 2008
    [​IMG]