Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Who's the other QB?

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by HisDoc, May 23, 2023.

1. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I’d say it’s like eligibility in college. He hasn’t used those hs years on the field so he can technically still play. He’s just ahead of that academically.

2. gatordadx2

gatordadx2 Premium Member

Dec 24, 2017
    He'll be 18 in November Simmons is not your answer for this year, thats going to be Mertz. As far as a backlog competition among 4 and 5* QBs is a good thing look at Alabama or Georgia's roster QB room stacked with 4 and 5 *. Everyone on here wants to be like Alabama and Georgia as far as recruiting and Talent. Now that Uf is in the mix for top ,elite QBs now it's OMG don't bring in another high quality elite QB to compete with the Elite QB we hopefully sign this cycle. OMG what is Billy doing.......he's building talent on top of talent backed up by talent just like the other guys yes we may lose some guys but in the long run MOST(Lagway) of these recruits are not scared of competition, it's what they do compete win the job and excel.
    Why do you think top elite 5* recruits commit to schools like Ohio state,Georgia, Alabama and sit behind other 5*? Because thats how you build a champion! Stacking talent on top of talent. How many times have I said to myself Dammit Georgia,Alabama,Ohio state got another 5* WR/QB/RB/CB/OL/DL they are stacked! I think Billy knows how to do this recruiting thing.
    There will be bumps, tough losses and guys we thought were ours and they choose someone else, but I like where Billy has us headed and I hope one day soon I can say "man we are STACKED with talent"

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  3. gatordadx2

Dec 24, 2017
    Just a reminder I can remember when we had Leak, Tebow and if not for the slightly warm pc, Cam Newton back to back to back did we then say no don't bring that talent, no UF was stacked

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017
    A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Finlake48

Finlake48 Sophomore

Jul 19, 2017
    “Just staying in High School” is a viable strategy. However..grey shirting (which he probably wouldn’t agree to) is also a viable strategy in that he can learn the offensive..be in a higher level weight room etc etc. so we can disagree…but don’t act like it’s a dumb idea.

6. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

How about a bush in the hand?

• Funny Funny x 5
  7. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    you are right that he wouldn’t agree to it and why would he. Grey shirting typically happens for one reason - the school doesn’t have enough counters or open scholarships to accept the signee at that time. Players that grey shirt are NOT part of the program. They cannot practice with the team. They cannot attend meetings. They probably cannot be provided a playbook. They go to class and all that but cannot be part of the team.

Having Simmons okay neither high school football nor play/practice at UF is no help at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017
    Ahhh, the 80s.

• Funny Funny x 7
  9. Finlake48

Finlake48 Sophomore

Jul 19, 2017
    Ok. I didn’t realize he wouldn’t be a part of practice etc as a Grey. My bad

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    It is a dumb idea, sorry.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    They go to class on their own dime too. It makes no sense at all in this situation.

12. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    Not to detract from your point but Those 3 weren’t on the team at the same time.

13. gatordadx2

Dec 24, 2017
    I know they where in succession Leak and Tebow then Tebow and Cam I believe is how it went stacking talent

14. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    U
    Unfortunately seems kind of like a blip now. Having 5 stars transfer out is a whole other level.

15. Finlake48

Finlake48 Sophomore

Jul 19, 2017
    Ok lil B.
    another internet titan. I bow to your superior intellect.

16. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    Don’t get salty because you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Grey shirts rarely make sense, and hardly ever happen. They’re a tool/trick used to get around limited schollys/counters, usually a counters issue. Counters aren’t an issue for anyone this year, you can take as many counters as you want (assuming you have the scholly’s available). In years where counters are actually an issue, it’s still of minimal benefit to use a grey shirt because the kid then counts against the following years counters, which means less counters available the following year. It’s just a silly thing that gets talked about a lot as if it’s common, but it rarely makes any sense for the school or the athlete, and is not very common at all.

I don’t know what you thought would be beneficial about trying to get Simmons to grey shirt. I think you just don’t know what it means. It doesn’t bind him to the school. No loi is signed. He can’t participate in team activities. He has to pay for his own tuition, books, room and board, food. There’s just zero benefit. Like I said before, he might as well stay in high school and continue to play ball.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  17. easycoastgator

easycoastgator GC Legend

Dec 26, 2018
    The guy admitted he didn’t fully understand what a grey meant. I’ll admit I guess I didn’t know either until now. It could have been left alone at that point without piling on how dumb of an idea it was etc unless you have a past history with this poster

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  18. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Tebow spotted the less mobile Leak on running downs as a freshman.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1