Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Who will Harris pick as VP? It’s Walz!!

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by WarDamnGator, Jul 21, 2024.

1. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Someone in the media needs to do some vetting...99% are running cover for both of them.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You must give Fox News credit, they sensationalize a molehill into a mountain. All for the benefit of making people less informed.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Hey @gatorpa, are these women lying too?
    In new complaint, Texas women say delayed care due to abortion laws endangered their fertility

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. enviroGator

enviroGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Fair and Balanced. Yep.

Can they not be sued on false advertising? It should be easy to prove they are neither fair nor balanced.

5. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Please show me where I said they are lying.

I clear said the article that was posted days ago is short on details.
    I also noted that in my experience patients who present to the ER must be properly treated and evaluated.

If I had a nickel for every time I hear “I went to the ER and they did nothing” only to find out people had full detailed work ups but didn’t get the answer they liked I’d be sitting on a beach earning 10%.

Now what it seems based on your latest article is proper care wasn’t rendered as the law allows. So that’s med-mal issue and if was the hospital policy that caused it they should pay through the nose. Since Texas law allows treatment for ectopic pregnancy and no sane medical provider should consider surgery to remove and ectopic and “elective abortion” they clear should have been treated. Side note they may have lost the tube anyway as that does happen with an ectopic.

Now do people go to ERs and get crappy care, sure it happens. It’s not impossible and I’ve seen some doctors do some stupid things like refuse to give any care to someone who wants to sign out AMA.

So once again show me where I’ve the are lying as you suggested.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2024
  6. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    You didn't directly state it. You implied that we shouldn't trust the articles that include women reporting their experiences. And the med-mal argument is bullshit. This is what I told you days ago. Republicans drafted these shitty laws. Hospitals and doctors can't confidently say what they can and can't do. So they are stuck between a rock and a hard place---between potential criminal liability and potential civil liability. Unsurprisingly, they err on the side of not giving charged with a crime.

The sad thing is that Texas women went to the Texas Supreme Court and begged them to make clear what doctors can and can't do. Those right-wing a-holes tossed their claims out and basically said, "Well, just tell your doctor to read the statute. Durrrrr."
    Dozens of pregnant women, some bleeding or in labor, are turned away from ERs despite federal law

Last edited: Aug 13, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The communists are coming for you, Rick.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Texas women denied abortions of ectopic pregnancies file complaints

AUSTIN, Texas — Two Texas women have filed federal complaints against hospitals that denied them abortions for ectopic pregnancies, saying they nearly died and suffered losses of fallopian tubes after they were repeatedly turned away for treatment.

Texas law allows doctors to terminate ectopic pregnancies, in which a fertilized egg grows outside of the uterus where it cannot survive. They are the leading cause of maternal mortalityduring the first trimester and one of the most common complications, occurring in two of every 100 pregnancies.

"For weeks, I was in and out of emergency rooms trying to get the abortion that I needed to save my future fertility and life," Kyleigh Thurman said in a statement Monday. "This should have been an open and shut case. Yet, I was left completely in the dark without any information or options for the care I deserved."

While the bans have exceptions for when a pregnancy endangers the mother's life, doctors have said the complicated wording of the new laws and severe punishments for performing abortions – including up to life imprisonment in Texas and elsewhere – have stirred fear and confusion.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Did you have anything to add other than quote the article?
    It clearly says ectopic are allowed under law.

It also suggests that it’s the hospital system that’s the issue.

Is the confusion a good thing hell no but from what the article shows it seem pretty damn clear the procedure should have been allowed and I hope that the hospital gets hammered from not complying with the law.

I can’t see how any DA would bring a charge against a doctor for removing an ectopic pregnancy when it’s clearly allowed under law.

Seems like some places are looking for an excuse to not render care and clearly it’s bullshit.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    In Texas, the court gave Kate Cox's doctor permission to carry out an abortion, and then the state attorney general publicly declared he would file criminal charges against any doctor that participated in providing the abortion that the court allowed.

I can see why doctors in Texas are a little wary of the legal system there.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Sometimes laws aren’t clear or are conflicting. If a doctor has a choice of maybe going to jail for the rest of their lives or hospital getting sued, they will go with hospital getting sued.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. vegasfox

vegasfox GC Hall of Fame

Feb 4, 2024

13. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Sorry if the law said I could do it, the court said I could do it and it was the right thing to do I would do it. F the AG.
    It would be the right thing to do regardless of the law being on your side, furthermore you would have scores of defense attorneys lining up to defend you.

An ectopic that needs surgery is life threatening the life and safety of my patient takes precedent over some douce bag no nothing AG. Most doctors I’ve worked with over the years would agree.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    But if they don’t render care they get sued too.

Seems like from the post above the court ruled it could be done, the law said it could be done.
    Above all it seems like it was the proper medical treatment.
    As I noted above I would have done it as would most doctors I have worked with.

16. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    getting sued is better than life in jail

17. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    The problem with your theory is that the AG isn't "do nothing." He's a corrupt asshole who has consistently run to the courts to push culture war nonsense. The threat is real. And the doctors weren't stupid. Because after the lower courts gave them the okay, the "do nothing" AG appealed to the far-right Texas Supreme Court, which overruled the lower court and issued the bullshit ruling I mentioned earlier.

It should surprise nobody that doctors don't want to be at the mercy of a MAGA AG and MAGA judges.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Not if your patient is dead because you didn’t do your job. IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The Ohio legislator who introduced this absurd bill is not dissimilar from a hypothetical overly aggressive prosecutor who could prosecute a doctor for performing an abortion on a woman with an ectopic pregnancy. While irrational with no basis in science or medicine such a prosecution is not beyond the realm of possibility.
    Ohio Bill: Transplant an Ectopic Pregnancy or Go to Jail

20. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Taking the 'childless people don't have stake in America' to another subject. Walz and his wife sold their home when they moved into the governor's mansion. They also reported owning now stocks, bonds or securities.

Note: MediaMatters says most Americans don't own stocks. I've read numbers that disagree with that.

Right-wing media attack Tim Walz for having the financial portfolio of an average American

https://www.mediamatters.org/fox-ne...z-having-financial-portfolio-average-american