Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Who will Harris pick as VP? It’s Walz!!

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by WarDamnGator, Jul 21, 2024.

1. jhenderson251

jhenderson251 Premium Member

Aug 7, 2008
    He's just an incredibly gifted speaker.

His ability to quickly get his point across, even in a hostile or unfriendly environment, is remarkable. Obviously Jon Stewart is not a hostile interview or environment, but Buttigieg repeatedly goes on Fox News and succinctly dismantles their nonsense without getting pulled off message.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. cluckugator

cluckugator VIP Member

Aug 16, 2007
    I’m on the Kelly bandwagon, and this isn’t great for Shapiro but 1) it’s not an allegation against him and 2) it’s an isolated incident. If Shapiro is on the ticket it will be to get low/lower middle class (mostly) white voters in the key rust belt states. They are the most important swing votes in this election according to everything I have read.

People on this board (some at least) don’t like the look of this, but that voting block has so many struggles in their daily life they don’t give a shit if one of his aids got accused of something.

And nobody can make an intellectually honest argument that Shapiro is unfit to be VP because a member of his staff was accused of a sexual incident when Trump has been ruled in a (civil) court of law to have done much worse.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. jhenderson251

jhenderson251 Premium Member

Aug 7, 2008
    One could even make the case for a strategic move to pick Shapiro in part daring the GOP or Trump campaign to bring it up... "Yes, let's have a conversation about sexual harassment and sexual abuse."

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. cluckugator

cluckugator VIP Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Haha, Trump would convince his supporters that Shapiro is a predator and the accusers, judges, lawyers, and jurors in his numerous SA cases were jealous of his wealth, golf skills and they all hate freedom and want the US to merge with Mexico. :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  5. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Jokes aside, this election will be for the true swing votes, not the consistent straight line voters in either party.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    Pete was my preference in 2020, and I'm a fan. Don't know enough about Kelly to be honest. Carville, for example, has been talking up Shapiro for awhile, suggesting he's potentially a Clinton or Obama level talent. I watched Shapiro the other night having not seen much of him before, and maybe it's not new, but I feel like he (intentionally or unintentionally) sounds a little like Obama in terms of the rhythm and cadence of his speech. Looks like there's some current buzz around Shapiro being the pick but no idea how much weight to put on it.

https://www.axios.com/2024/08/02/josh-shapiro-harris-vp-running-mate

No one who really knows is talking. But White House, campaign and party sources tell Axios that all signs point to Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro, 51, being picked as running mate for Vice President Kamala Harris.

Why it matters: Virtually all roads to 270 electoral votes run through Pennsylvania — one of the few things the Harris and Trump campaigns agree on.

While Harris could surprise everyone, she seems to be headed toward a pick that a wide variety of sources — Republicans and Democrats — think is both shrewd and straightforward.

• It's a combination of math and logic: Pennsylvania's 19 electoral college votes are the biggest swing-state prize on the map, and its Democratic governor has a 61% approval rating.

7. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    JD vs Shapiro

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. HeyItsMe

HeyItsMe GC Hall of Fame

Mar 7, 2009
    Like I said, anyone Harris picks for VP will easily dismantle Vance in a debate. Trump’s campaign is on life support, and it’s not looking like it will get any better. Vance is a woefully inadequate running mate, and if Trump replaces him, it brings into question his decision making picking him in the first place, so he’s screwed if he keeps him and screwed if he replaces him.

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    But he could replace and most people wouldn't care. Trump has a long history of picking great people and turning on them (Mattis) or just picking idiots.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. vegasfox

vegasfox GC Hall of Fame

Feb 4, 2024
    Sen Casey (PA) would have helped Kamala the most so I'm glad she picked Shapiro. It was leaked that a Shapiro commercial had already been shot but he was still available at 50% on the live prediction markets. My friend cashed out at when Shapiro rose to 75%. Robert Barnes and and Rich Baris @peoples_,pundit had the inside info on this bet. Kamala could change her mind about Shapiro but that might anger the G9v,, who is needed in Penn for his electioneering expertise. The Harris campaign believes Pennsylvania is the key state to win.

11. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

12. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    If Shapiro is the pick, I'll understand the decision. I have nothing against him, but Tim Walz is the guy I'm favoring. I've listened to Shapiro speak, and he just doesn't do it for me. Maybe it's the whole discount Obama thing. I don't know.

Walz moves me. He comes off as authentic, which is a hard thing to do in politics. And he's the one who came up with the "weird" line of attack on the Republicans that has really gotten under their skin. His messaging has just been on point.

This is an ad he cut back when he was running for Congress:

There's something to be said for a person who knows how to hit the right notes.

• Like Like x 3
  13. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    We can play this game all day and you'll lose every time.

Here's Trump talking about the Continental Army taking over the airports in 1775. It is no wonder well-educated voters historically shun him. Remember, Trump's comments were made 5 years ago, well before he entered his more recent alarming downward spiral of mental decline.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Looks like Beshear and Buttigieg are out. She is said to be having face to face interviews with Shapiro, Walz, and Kelly today.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  15. DawgFanFromAlabam

DawgFanFromAlabam GC Hall of Fame

Apr 18, 2007
    What he said.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    And Trump was supposedly reading off a teleprompter.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Won’t picking Shapiro risk alienating the Hamas loving liberals

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  18. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Not sure it will piss them off, but it will give trump and jd more talking points (in between the kfc and couch humping).
    I think she has a lot of good options and unless she reaches for something like a russian pedophile that beats his puppy, it will be a step up from jd. Possibly the worse pick of all time and that includes Palin. At least with Palin, there was somewhat of a plan.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. HeyItsMe

HeyItsMe GC Hall of Fame

Mar 7, 2009
    Kelly also stood up and applauded Bibi during his speech and is overall a rather conservative corporate Democrat - not a fan. If Harris wants to maximize the youth vote, Walz seems like the clear choice.

20. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Trump picking Vance apparently didn't alienate his pro rape base.

• Funny Funny x 1