Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Who will Harris pick as VP? It’s Walz!!

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by WarDamnGator, Jul 21, 2024.

1. cluckugator

cluckugator VIP Member

Aug 16, 2007
    I was in favor of Shapiro solely because of his state and popularity within the State / Region. I agree with GatorLawyer’s post above and your thoughts. Kelly has better vibes than Shapiro IMO. It’s really hard not to be a Kelly fan.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. BobK89

BobK89 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    AZ governor is Katie Hobbs. You may be thinking about Sen. Mark Kelly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I’m really starting to like Kelly more and more. I am concerned that Shapiro is too pro-Union.

4. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Kelly should have been the nominee but not DEI enough to get selected as VP. Him and Whitmer as the best the dems have going right now and would win the election hands down

• Like Like x 1
  5. enviroGator

enviroGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    To be honest, any democrat is going to be viewed as very liberal by the right. Especially after Fox News gets after them.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Yep, they'll get called a radical America hating communist. Regardless of their actual policy positions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Stop with the DEI bullshit.

It’s the go to for white men when another white man doesn’t get the “job” Like white men haven’t been getting jobs because of their race and gender forever.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    What is the "DEI" that gets a person selected as VP? LOL. The problem with Kelly is that picking him requires them to defend a crucial senate seat in both 2026 and 2028, instead of just 2028, if Kamala wins. That is better avoided unless he's absolutely necessary to victory. I don't think he is.
    The states they need to win are very pro-labor states. So if you're anti-union, odds are you're not going to like the VP pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I 100% agree with this. But Shapiro appears to me to be strongly pro-Union, which is generally perceived as a negative to the independents and moderates — the people that will control this election.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    that kind of thinking is why the dems never put their best leaders forward. how does being DEI get you selected as VP...hmmm..let me think

if you want equality, pick the best person, not the best dei person, appearances be damned. dems alienate a lot of people with that pandering to the base

Pressure Grows On Joe Biden To Pick A Black Woman As His Running Mate : NPR

Biden says he is considering four Black women to be his running mate | CNN Politics

Biden vows to select a woman as his running mate - POLITICO

11. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    You're misunderstanding the question. No VP candidate is chosen based on "merit." They're chosen for political reasons, generally based on aspects of their identity that the top of the ticket needs. Trump didn't choose J.D. Vance and Mike Pence because of "merit." Obama didn't choose Biden because of "merit." McCain didn't choose Palin because of "merit." Bush didn't choose Cheney because of "merit." And so on and so forth. Although, Biden choosing Kamala is looking pretty damn good right now. He won in 2020, and she flawlessly pulled off replacing him in 2024.

That's all besides the point, though. What part of "DEI" is preventing Kelly from being the VP pick? Kamala is looking almost exclusively at white men, like Obama did, because she knows, like anybody else, that identity matters. I'm sure you'll be calling whomever she picks a "DEI" selection, though, right? You've often called Pence a "DEI" selection, right?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    I'd like to see Tim Walz.

Shapiro is a great choice but he will inflame the Gaza sympathizers part of the party.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I'd say that it depends on what part of the country you're in. In the part of the country they need to win, I'm not sold that's true.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Perhaps I wasn't clear. Kelly should be the nominee, not the VP. He is more accomplished and qualified. DEI and politics prevented that. Being a black woman with qualifications got Harris as VP over a white man with qualifications. They didn't make the best choice, they made the best political choice. That prevents the best from rising to the top and alienates those of us who believe that qualifications matter more than sex or skin color.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  15. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Why do you think Kelly was a better choice? She was an elected DA, an elected AG, and an elected senator. She has served as VP for four years. She is qualified for the nomination. You may not like the choice but she is accomplished and using DEI as a pejorative is beneath you.

In addition, you’re ignoring the fact her getting the nomination as opposed to a nasty convention fight is the right call.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    What? How is Kelly more accomplished in politics? When Biden chose Harris for VP, Kelly had never even held political office or won an election. He wasn't even in consideration for the position. He had no qualifications for it. And Kelly certainly isn't the most qualified now. Griping about "DEI" because a less qualified white man didn't get chosen is something.

• Agree Agree x 6
  17. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    I am curious what you base this on? I respect his service, and he's apparently popular and well-liked, but he's been in elected office less than four years.

18. vegasfox

vegasfox GC Hall of Fame

Feb 4, 2024
    JD Vance was Trump's best option. He's the real deal. Listen to this video, especially the last 10% l. This is a naturally gifted speaker who connects with the blue collar working class Trump needs to win Wisconsin. Michigan and Pennsylvania

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    his accomplishments prior to office, being an outsider is a bonus to me, his communication skills. Buttigieg is another highly qualified and better communicator than Harris. Dems cheated us all by not having a real primary

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  20. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    qualifications stretch well beyond politics to me. Harris is and always has been a political animal and I don't value politics much. She is smart, and savvy enough to capitalize on what she has to work with, but not the most qualified dem available, not even close. It is what it is, better than Trump, but that shouldn't be the bar.