Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Who Truly Threatens the Church?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by philnotfil, Jul 10, 2023.

1. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    In this particular example, I believe we are talking about what the Christian should be compelled to do by law, so the Christian is the object of the legislation, not the pusher.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 2
  2. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    About a thousand logic errors in that formulation come up basically what we are trying to do is enforce public accommodations law under the same framework we've used for 50 years until last week, part of living in a pluralistic society. There's a lot more than I could say, that I've said many times on this board, but it'd be a waste of time

3. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    To me, it seems reasonable that if the government is providing the service, the line should be least restrictive of the customer; where a private entity is providing a unique service, then the line should not be as restrictive. I don't think this is a straight binary either as some services are more unique than others.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

4. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    You believe I’m among the deluded because I believe in something that doesn’t exist.

So’s your uncle.

5. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    The law I think in Colorado was that to get a business license you had to agree to be accommodating to all people. So do you not agree with the law in this case. The twists here are confusing me.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    The Colorado baker is being forced to accommodate a deluded patron …

DENVER — The Colorado baker who won a partial U.S. Supreme Court victory after refusing to make a gay couple’s wedding cake because of his Christian faith lost an appeal Thursday in his latest legal fight, involving his rejection of a request for a birthday cake celebrating a GENDER TRANSITION.

Question: why are people so dead set on cramming their beliefs down the poor guys throat ? Why can’t they live and let live ? Why can’t they just go to any number of other bakeries that, for the money, would be more than happy to accomodate the plaintiff’s delusions ?

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    I think it's important to be on the same page in terms of what "accommodating to all people" looks like. Did you see my questions from post 160? I think that your answers will help us better understand each other.

As an example, if I produce Santas, and if I refuse to produce a "Black Santa" does that make me a racist? The Santas I produce are for all types of people including those who may have different beliefs than me.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

8. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Anti discrimination ordinances are discriminatory.

• Like Like x 1
  9. altalias

altalias GC Hall of Fame

Aug 13, 2008
    I agree. It's why I rarely vote for a Democrat.

As the JK Rowling tweeted,

"You have a perfect right to believe in unprovable essences that may or may not match the sexed body, but the rest of us have a right to disagree, and to refuse to adopt your jargon."

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Indeed, for all the angst about Christian tyranny these days … who’s oppressing whom ?

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. danmanne65

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    I think that would make you a stupid business person. Painting 10 percent of your Santa’s darker would cost you almost nothing. It would increase your business. I have never thought of Santa as being racist before. Perhaps if I wasn’t melanin deficient I might think different.

I think god and Santa are similar here. God is typically portrayed as a white male. Santa is portrayed similarly. I think Malcom X was drawn to Islam because god wasn’t portrayed as black or white.

12. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    So should we compel people by law because we think a business practice is "stupid?" I think it's useful to point out a logical distinction between how we think people should act and how we think the government should compel people to act.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    Atheists are seemingly quiet on the contradictions inherent in their views of the non-falsifiability of God and the non-falsifiability of gender identity. Treating gender identity like a belief system helps me to have respect for people that want their space to identify however they want to based on whatever that view means to them. Like with religion, the only problems that would arise come in the way of handling to what extent should my views be forced on you.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. danmanne65

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    I am vaguely libertarian. In a society designed by me. Every business would have to post on their front door any people and practices they don’t want to do business with. That way everyone could know if they were doing business with wackadoodles. I suspect most businesses would find it better to be inclusive. I guess there would be a market for people who are haters. I wouldn’t do business at these places.

15. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    If you created those kids, and some pompous ass who could scarcely build a paper airplane cane along and criticized your work vis a vis the children you created, you probably wouldn't think much of their opinion.

16. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    I guess I’m just more tolerant than yourself. If an atheist chest-feeder whipped up a really good dark roast latte I might pony up $5 and wouldn’t insist on Jesus latte art on pain of lawsuit.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Pedophiles are ppl.

You run a business in Colorado that caters to kids.

You can't exclude Pedos.

I guess it's open fishing season on the kiddos at your business?

Theives/ retail stores...

Alcy's/ multiple DUI offenders...bars/ liquor stores...

How about evangelizers, Jehovahs witnesses, Mormon missionaries....do they get to bombard your patrons with the word if God?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2023
  18. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Your side's disbelief facilitated the unbridled extermination of 60 million babies in utero.

Their rights appear to have been infringed upon in the most egregious way conceivable.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Thank you.

20. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Solid listen

The language of “religious freedom” is often used as a code for the preservation of traditional White Christian privilege in the US. But it is also used as a code for efforts to use religious ideology to influence the secular government, so that the beliefs of a minority of White conservative Christians in the US is forced onto the population as a whole. Dan explores this dimension of the contemporary code of “religious freedom” in this week’s episode.
    It's In the Code Ep. 57: Religious Freedom Part II - Straight White American Jesus

• Informative Informative x 1