Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Who Truly Threatens the Church?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by philnotfil, Jul 10, 2023.

1. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    The Ten Commandments are so tepid.

2. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    I have no problem with religious non profits getting the same tax treatment as secular non profits so long as they're held to the same rules and standards. Religious organizations and churches shouldn't be treated any better or any worse than their non religious counterparts in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    I appreciate the generosity. On the other hand I think the churches would be better off not asking for special favor. Indeed, historically, at least in its early days, the church was considered an enemy of the state.

4. mrhansduck

Nov 23, 2021
    I don't see it as a special favor if others are getting it, too. Maybe your concern is that churches being afforded certain "favors" opens the door to other forms of government oversight and/or regulation. I could see that concern. I think the more likely issue at this time is politicians and government using Christianity for their ends, resulting in a watering-down of the message and blurring of doctrinal distinctions to make it the most universal and palatable to the masses as possible - in a somewhat similar way as we've seen the commercialization of Easter and Christmas take the focus from the spiritual aspects of those holidays.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    I couldn’t have said it better!

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    I used to view things like the 10 Commandments being put back in school as ridiculous and laughable. As if the kids give a damn about the 10 Commandments, right? Also, I thought this may violate separation of church and state. I'm assuming what's being proposed in Texas largely amounts to a symbolic effort and that the 10 Commandments aren't going to be the wallpaper on every school-issued tablet and required to be recited at the start of every day. In that case, I am not sure it violates church and state. I think what Texas (and others) are doing is pushing back on the leftist propaganda which is being funneled in via the state. The symbolic inclusion of the 10 Commandments is essentially seen as a buffer to further radical indoctrination.

I cannot fathom that the active Christians pushing such legislation actually believe it will indoctrinate children. The children are going to ignore it. They can't ignore instructional indoctrination, because their test grades require them to pay attention to the material. In other words, I don't think the right is attempting to indoctrinate children at school the same way leftists are attempting to do so. I think the Christian right, in this case, is taking out an insurance policy that they will always have a seat at the table.

7. mrhansduck

Nov 23, 2021
    The current Court might not view it as a separation of church and state problem, but I think prior courts would. I just looked and it appears that the Texas House didn't timely vote on the bill, so I guess it's dead for now although it wasn't actually voted down either. I'm sure many Christians were uneasy about it, too.

8. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Are these fools seriously ok with putting religious documents on school walls, or only THEIR religious documents? I mean, I'm sure out of the pure goodness of their blessed hearts they would be ok with passages from the Koran for example? asking for a friend....

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    I personally don’t want my religion anywhere near your state.

10. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Politically bent Christian conservatives, the GOP and their financial power brokers like the corrupt and sinful SBA have an agenda allright.

Control of the Supreme Court and by association changing the laws of this country from secular to religous. This is of course a direct contradiction to the will of the founding fathers and the charter of the Constitution.

Control of (or elimination of) secular education.

Domination and control of Female persons, in particular reproductive rights.

I'm wondering when consumption of medicine and vaccines will give cause for legal public stoning.

Science? Rectified with wooden stakes, alot of brush and torches.

Thats all!

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  11. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Anti-vax and conservative Christians …

upload_2023-7-11_16-41-10.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Not sure where you go to church. We built a (previously planned) new auditorium in 2020 and now have two services just to hold the crowd. And we are a church that is the opposite of faithless.

Church is running almost 1k after just 11 years. Its amazing what a group of believers that love Jesus and love each other can become.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. tilly

Clueless post. You're better than that.
    Most of us dont live in any fear. Stop believing the noisy minority.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    We did the same with our kids until they were 18, then they could decide on their own

• Like Like x 1
  15. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    So, Christianity isn't being weaponized. Yawn.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    I think you both are probably wrong. Everyone has fear. Fear is a powerful motivator. Fear keeps you and your loved ones you safe. A healthy fear of heights causes a man or woman to take certain safety precautions in the workplace. A fear of the unknown causes a man or woman to think twice about gambling. A fear of evil causes a man or woman to watch carefully over his or her children. A healthy amount of fear is essential to survival and prosperity.

For the most part, I have observed fear not being the main motivator of spirituality or Christianity, more specifically. Most faithful churchgoers of today were brought up in the church to some extent. If a man or woman has sought out Christianity on their own volition, I would say it's typically due to a yearning for truth, meaning and good faith effort to become a better person. I am not a Christian, but I get Christianity, I think. If it makes you a better person, why isn't that a good thing? The country would probably be a better place if everyone made a conscientious effort to observe Christianity, if for no other reason, so as not to be out for only themselves or their loved ones, but for all of mankind.

Until that happens (and it never will), I will continue 'doing as the Romans do.'

17. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    Of course, most christians don't live in fear....that's what the blanky is for.

18. tilly

Yep. Clueless. And I still contend you are better than that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    you celebrate the ultimate absentee father. I thought you were better than that. subtlety does not equal love

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  20. tilly

He is anything but absent my friend.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1