Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Who Truly Threatens the Church?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by philnotfil, Jul 10, 2023.

1. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Apparently common sense

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    Jab with Bart Erhman, uppercut from Jan 6 and after weathering intense criticism for some 2,000 years, is sprawled on the canvas.*

If, against the odds, it beats the count, go looking for that Horus YouTube.

3. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Agree with this recommendation. I read his book Misquoting Jesus and found it to be a thorough examination of differences found between the gospels and some of the reasons why. It caused me to read the Gospel of Mark which seems to reveal a more human, less divine Jesus of Nazareth and thus more accessible to me.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    It’s hard to imagine that anyone involved with Jan 6 loved this country or practiced a true Christian faith.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    It was the darkest day in American history.

Dana Raddatz wept.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I am paywalled and have read only the excerpts and discussions on Twitter, but I took French’s point is that the threat is from within, from craving secular power

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    And in justifying to ourselves why we should be seeking after that which is Caesar's.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    Imagine if we could give Christianity the death blow and take away their freedom of religion and speech. Wouldn't that be awesome??

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  9. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    I definitely don't support that, although it's notable that some Christians believe those things must happen to fulfill Biblical prophecy. Brings up questions about free will but also the extent to which those Christians feel the need to focus on their perception of increasing persecution.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Some play the victim card when anyone objects to them ramming their views down everyone else's throat. # youdoyou.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    The cultural advantage that American Christians have long taken for granted has been wrested from them.

They must find a way to live in that world without resting on the unsupported and unbiblical notion of a Rapture to: (1) deliver them from discomfort and (2) set their tormentors to rights.

12. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    CDS

13. tripsright

tripsright GC Legend

Dec 2, 2021
    Florida
    More hypocrites can be found in houses of worship, “following the word” of their chosen deities, than any other place I can think of on the face of the earth. It makes politicians almost seem genuine/sincere. It’s just a bunch of fakes, who have convinced themselves they get to #sin-for-free. You know, because they’re so anointed and sanctified.
    The most prejudiced people I have ever encountered, regardless of their status in the community, at large, were leaders of their respective churches.

Edit: Sorry, not sorry.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2023
    • Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Informative x 1
  14. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Aww, tender heart. Come back to church. There’s always room for one more hypocrite!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2023
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Boomer, too. We joined a church when the kids were little for the same reason. So that they could make their decision by knowing what it is rather than not knowing because they'd never gone.
    Two of the three took part in some really good activities and adventures with the church.

• Like Like x 4
  16. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Our daughter has to attend Mass if she is staying with us or if we are visiting her. She has enjoyed it, even if she doesn't usually attend otherwise.

In LA at Christmas, we went to the Cathedral and toured the various exhibits and the extensive artwork. etc. to Our Lady of Guadalupe, including part of Juan Diego's tilma. But her highlight was touring the crypt and seeing the grave of Spencer Tracy and other old time actors. She and her movie geek friends went back later.

In NYC, during college, she was exposed to parishes in Greenwich Village where the "choir" consists of Broadway performers. Talk about a choir that could sing. Plus St. John the Redeemer (Episcopalian) and their Procession of the Animals of St. Francis Feast Day, which is a sight to see. See pictures at link

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articl...ttan-s-cathedral-church-of-st-john-the-divine

• Like Like x 2
  17. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    I can tell you I've never been to a single church service in my life, but if you don't think a gutted First Amendment could happen, you're ignoring history. You may not support it, but there's an awful lot of squawking in here about Christians merely exercising their First Amendment rights. Standing up to the school board is a fundamental right. Do I want the church in control of what my children learn at school? No, but it's not the state's prerogative either. As discussed, most parents these days aren't religious zealots, so it's a non sequitur. That said, parents have the right and absolutely should be involved with their children's curriculum. One would hope people don't make families with the idea that the state will do the majority of the child rearing, while they work and relax after work. Christianity's waning popularity in the United States isn't something new. That doesn't make them any less deserving of First Amendment protection.

• Like Like x 1
  18. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    all for their 1st amendment rights. not a fan of their welfare status

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    Well, that's fair; we should always be vigilant.

Practically, though, most Americans identify as Christian, and those in the religious majority are at less risk of populist persecution compared to minority groups with less political power, such as Muslims and atheists. There is also the risk that a religious majority may use its political power to promote its religion, which is what I see with the Texas legislature mandating the 10 Commandments be put in public schools, for example.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    IMO, the churches should waive their tax exempt status. Render unto Caesar … the better to also say no to the state. Good read in this regard …