Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Who Truly Threatens the Church?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by philnotfil, Jul 10, 2023.

1. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    upload_2023-7-14_10-0-29.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    Before people protested tampon machines it was protesting baby changing stations. When a transgender person comes to my door and try to convince me to get the surgery I will worry about it.

3. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    One thing’s for damn sure …

you don’t need laws to utterly ruin people’s lives.

4. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I was tongue in cheek, but the finances are a separate issue. In my Church at least, I love what Francis is doing. And while it would never be justifiable today to spend money on grand edifices, it is inSpiring to be in such structures. I love to visit in other cities , but get to worship in one regularly, one beautiful enough to be a minor tourist destination

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...cred_Heart_Catholic_Church-Tampa_Florida.html

• Like Like x 1
  5. danmanne65

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    I thought about the renaissance artwork and the beautiful churches. I like to think that there would have been at least their equal without them but I wonder.

6. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Speaking only for myself, I do find myself moved. It's usually my favorite place to go in old cities, especially European cities

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Misuse of the word hate, even in an analogy, is still misuse.

8. tilly

Lol. No they dont. You couldnt catch the 3 women in my house dead in the haven of bad aiming, not replaced seats and pee covered floors that is a men's public restroom. :D

9. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    I may have missed it, but I’m not aware of any adultery rights groups tarring their critics as haters and angling for positions in church leadership.

10. tilly

"I took my friend to a restaurant one time that had bad food, so thus most restaurants must have bad food and I won't eat out anymore"

Nonsense.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. tripsright

tripsright GC Legend

Dec 2, 2021
    Florida
    No, sir. I’m 53 years old, and minimally capable intellectually, at least. Ridiculous you would assert I’ve formed my entire view of religion, pro or con, based on a singular, personal anecdote from 1986.

Edit: To say that, based on the stupidity of your response, I must assume my statements were somewhat familiar/relevant to your own experiences. Or, maybe your church is the only one without hypocrisy? Congrats, if so.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    The term “religion” is so quaint. Say what you mean. Identify the people who are being mean to you.

Process of elimination: nobody on this thread is addled about Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists or even Scientologists.

Okay, maybe Zoroastrians.

13. tilly

Stupidity? Stay classy San Diego.

I was basing my point off of your own words.

My experience is based on a lifetime. My father has worked in vocational ministry for almost all of my 51 years. I have literally been surrounded by thousands of followers of Christ living it daily.

Your bias is not my concern.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. tripsright

tripsright GC Legend

Dec 2, 2021
    Florida
    With no hint of hypocrisy in sight.
    Now who’s writing “nonsense”?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    saw the chicks at red rocks last Aug. seemed I was the only guy in the men’s room

• Creative Creative x 1
  16. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    Back to the title of the thread.

Science, critical thinking, and social freedom.

• Like Like x 2
  17. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    I know that is one of the Two Hot standard answers, but the reality is that there are many prominent scientists who have faith, many critical thinkers who have faith, and many socially free people who have faith. So none of those three threaten religion.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. danmanne65

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    It’s been decades since I have had to clean a public restroom but in my limited and outdated experience womens restrooms are dirtier than men’s rooms.

19. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    The thread title is about threatening the church, which I took to mean the church’s existence. Your post puts on the qualification that those three factors might challenge certain religious doctrines. That’s narrowing the focus quite a bit.

A given religious doctrine can be challenged without that being a threat to the existence of the church. I have no problem accepting that. But the continued existence of the church is in no way threatened by science, critical, thinking, or social freedom.

Looking to your last paragraph, it’s not the three factors having influence, but it’s people who do not believe having influence. There have been skeptics and unbelievers and challengers to faith the entire existence of the church. They have all failed in wiping out the church. Why should that change today?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. tilly

I never said there werent hypocrites did I?
    You said "most" Christians. That is insulting and flat out made up.. THAT is the nonsense.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1