Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Who thinks BN will be HC in 2025?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorfan828, Sep 3, 2024.

1. SmootyGator

SmootyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 17, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    I can't, but stranger things have happened. I wouldn't bet on us winning 6, but you never know. If he ends the season with 3 or less wins, I would think he's 100% gone. 4 or 5 wins, I would think most likely gone, but that's where the contract stuff might become a factor.

Things will change week to week. As my old man says: you never know what's going to happen next!

Things could get better.... but they could get worse! :mad:

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I think Stricklin can rightly point to the sustained success of the overall athletic department, and that should be popular and appreciated.

His job has two major functions: hiring head coaches and maintaining the support structure necessary for those coaches and their programs to succeed. Stricklin inherited a top overall athletic program (consistent top 10 nationally since the early 80s) and it's stayed there. So the second half of his job looks to be well done. And frankly, that's a huge job in and of itself and honestly deserves credit. But the first half is where the trouble seems to be.

He's had two disastrous hires in women's sports that ended early in scandal (basketball and soccer) and has now had two hires for the prestige money making program in football that look to end in early failure. But also telling is that from the list you quoted about top UF teams, he didn't hire any of those coaches. Every one of them were here before he arrived. Remove Todd Golden at basketball (who looks to be building something good but hasn't hit success just yet), and which of his hires have worked out? Eight years seems to be enough time to have demonstrated how well you do or don't in that first half of the job description.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    He had a chance to survive at 5 or 6 wins due to schedule. If FSU is this bad it means the schedule is slightly easier so our standard should go up.

4. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 8
  5. gatorfan828

gatorfan828 Sophomore

Dec 8, 2016
    Orlando, Florida
    This made me laugh. I saw on the reddit page that we are already tracking flights. Flight went from Gainesville to Oxford apparently. We are in the offseason already

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    This really isn't about one game though. It's about the same game over and over. Especially after an offseason of praise by the head coach. The team had the chance to set the tone for the season. Why should they have to be in react mode now?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Kiffin's team has a legit shot at the playoffs. I highly doubt he is taking calls from programs wanting to hire him right now.

8. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    Like I said, I don’t have as much disdain for him as others. He’s kept our athletic dept at the top of the heap during his stint here. It’s a tough job.

Football is undoubtably the grease the keeps the wheels turning though, and you don’t see an AD get an opportunity to hire three football coaches very often. I just feel like he’s lost the confidence of the fanbase about as much as Billy has. I do not really know if the money feels the same way, and that will likely be the driving factor at the end of the day. If Condron is happy with Scotty, there’s probably a good chance Scotty gets to stick around.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. urbangirl

urbangirl VIP Member

Oct 15, 2007
    I believe the recruits have been sitting in that area of south endzone (not in stands, but seating just field side of perimeter wall) for as long as I can remember. Moving forward, at least 1-2 UAA/Staff members and/or UPD/ACSO should be with Katie Turner. Saturday’s “display” had some bad optics. On the other hand, the tactlessness of Miami players shouldn’t go unnoticed. It’s doesn’t matter the outcome of game. Their involvement is simply not acceptable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. 1975Gator

1975Gator All American

Jan 5, 2012
    I think you are wrong. I think any coach out their would entertain inquiries anytime of the year.

11. gatorfan828

gatorfan828 Sophomore

Dec 8, 2016
    Orlando, Florida
    I am not sure I want him either. Although Ole Miss has been working out nice for him. I am not sure if he can sustain success for 5-7 years. Through 4 seasons he actually has the EXACT same record that Mullen had here after 4 seasons. I hear that he does not like to recruit either. But maybe NIL actually helps him. He can just throw money at the kids and work the heck out of the portal.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    Critical Role is more entertaining than what we've got under Billy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I would not count that chicken yet. At least not until a few more games play out.

14. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    Or we can follow your prescription and flounder, sink to the bottom of the SEC, lose fans and revenue from merchandise, stay home from bowl games, become everybody else's homecoming game and rarely be seen on TV. Hmmmm, I'll go with Uftaipan.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    And Kiffen has won exactly how many NFL Division or Conference Championships? College Division or Conference Championships?
    I would also refer you to his departure from the Raiders and the Vols, as to their experience. Perhaps even his "ex" wife.

Not saying the man can't coach, especially offense, but I don't see much hardware in his trophy case, but I do see alot of bitterness
    at previous stops. Buyer beware, IMO.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  16. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    A loss to Samford would be more than sufficient, a close loss to A&M might not. But another blowout at home in week three should absolutely be the end of the line, then and there.

17. sierragator

Apr 8, 2007
    This early in the season?

18. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    This reeks of a McElwain 2.0

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  19. gatorfan828

gatorfan828 Sophomore

Dec 8, 2016
    Orlando, Florida
    Thats what I am getting at. He has had some strong teams during his HC career, but we have yet to see him get his team into the big picture. What will Ole Miss look like in a 6th or 7th season under Kiffin. Can he sustain high levels of success? If he replicates what they did last season tho, they will make the 12 team playoff and his style of offense gives him a chance in every game.

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. sierragator

Apr 8, 2007
    That is a concern with Kiffin. Spirit animal squirrel/flash in the pan versus building a consistent, sustainable program?

• Agree Agree x 1