Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Who is in charge

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by lagorcegator, Sep 18, 2024 at 10:52 AM.

1. 2oldgator

2oldgator GC Legend

Jul 14, 2021
    Dunnellon fl
    Yes, and we need to pay what it takes. Taking another “promising” young coach at a lesser price has cost us money in the long run. It’s like spending a dollar to save a dime. And as you alluded to it’s going to start hitting us at the gate. Attendance is bound to drop if we can’t at least be competitive on the playing field. Watching this team so far is very painful.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Yep, do we want to compete or not? If not then that is an entirely different conversation and outcome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. gatorfan828

gatorfan828 Sophomore

Dec 8, 2016
    Orlando, Florida
    Hire a CEO/GM to run this thing outside of the AD. Give me Ran Carthon

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  4. staticgator

staticgator GC Legend

Nov 27, 2016
    Not to get racial but that was the impetus of the Rooney Rule in the NFL. People in hiring positions naturally feel more comfortable and respond better to people who talk the way they are used to talking, whether whoever you're hiring actually has the goods or not. You end up hiring someone because of how they talk and not what they can do. It seems Napier talks a great game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I honestly have no idea. But at the time Mullen was hired, there was a perception that he had done well at MSU considering it’s MSU

6. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    MSU fans, and I know several, thought Mullen was great. But they have lower expectations. Still, he did win enough there to keep the natives happy.

Re: DAK. He wanted to go to LSU or Texas, but neither offered, so Mullen picked him up. He was a 3 star recruit at the time.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2017
    So you have no idea about Dak's recruitment but he says hello for reasons unknown o_O

8. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    Lots of conclusive statements with nary a fact. During his 6-year tenure, we have won 50% fewer conference and national championships compared to Jeremy Foley's last 6 years. The only bright spots have been championships in Baseball and Men's Golf, won by coaches he did not hire. Worse, he ignored or buried serious allegations of player abuse under Newbauer. Stricklin stated “we failed about this misbehavior - although he knew about it and did nothing at the time (and a student attempted suicide)! Report: Florida’s Stricklin repeatedly informed of allegations of Newbauer’s abuse

Stricklin has not led us to championships in minor sports, failed with the Mullen hire despite him being well known to SS, grossly overpaid BN for time versus performance leaving us with an absurd buyout of a colossal failure, and perhaps more. And now he wants boosters to pay $400M for stadium upgrades? Let’s see - a winning team and coach or seat backs and WiFi?? Are you kidding me - put the money into hiring a great coach and NIL. Talk about fiddling while Rome burns.

I think Stricklin’s resume is far from impressive, with Todd Golden being the only potential bright spot..

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2024 at 5:54 PM
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  9. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Hey . . . You got something against friendly folks? LOL! :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That's why he hasn't been fired yet. He will be though.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Mullen landed Dak Prescott while HC at MSU. I couldn’t care less about the details of his recruitment, and I seriously doubt you know that much about it either. Go find someone else to bicker with

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I agree with you that the AD job is far more than hires and Stricklin has done very well at the top of this very complicated machine to keep it running the way it is. Yes, he inherited a top athletic program, but keeping it there for 8 years is a testament to his managerial ability and success. The problem is that hiring head coaches, while only a part of this complex job, is an absolutely essential component of the position. And his hires have been modest at best (currently zero conference or national titles), with roughly half being down right disastrous. Many ADs would be dismissed after their new hire in a women's sport was terminated for abuse allegations. He's had TWO. Couple that with two failed hires in the premiere money making program, and the championship successes of the coaches hired by your predecessor don't seem as sustainable. Maintaining long term, overall departmental success simply can't be separated from your ability to hire effective replacements for those older coaches who will inevitably retire or move on.

• Like Like x 1
  13. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF

just because you and others don’t know who is in charge doesn’t mean that no one is in charge.

by the way, our former president came back for 18 months and he was always engaged

everyone can speculate, like you can, which is fine. Someone is in charge but isn’t running out to scream into everyone

14. LS1

LS1 All American

Sep 9, 2015
    Marysville, OH
    Just for the record, Gruden came from an offensive background (there's a joke in there somewhere).

I don't believe he ever coached defense at any point in his career.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. gatorfan828

gatorfan828 Sophomore

Dec 8, 2016
    Orlando, Florida
    I do think he needs to go. Personally I would like to see the position created specifically for the football program. Some form of a CEO/GM that reports to the AD. CFB has become so complex with so many moving pieces, the management of it needs to evolve at the same rate. IDC at this point if SS stays or goes, but I want to see someone else in charge of the football program

16. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    There’s always a Glen at the heart of the problem

17. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    John Huston could be of no help.

18. LS1

LS1 All American

Sep 9, 2015
    Marysville, OH
    Are you thinking of Monte Kiffin? Lane's father?

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Lol... yeah, I've been talking about these two and fused them into one.... But if we did get a new coach, then I guess Kiffin is better suited to lead the Gators moving forward.

Gruden would be a temporary stopgap measure as an interim if Napier is let go during the season. Might be better suited for a transitional ONLY coach... a temporary/interim... but I would not like to have Gruden as our head ball coach come 2025 or thereafter. For me, it Kiffin all the way. But he's busy all year and we need an interim coach.

20. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    6-11 Titans GM?
    0-2 in 2024