Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Who is in charge

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by lagorcegator, Sep 18, 2024 at 10:52 AM.

1. lagorcegator

lagorcegator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    While I read all the comments,there is two major questions that needs to be addressed,who will do the firing and then who will be the interim if fired mid season
    Our AD who was brought in from Miss State has failed miserably as he brought Mullen whom he knew could not recruit so he is not capable and will not make the decision
    The AAU is to have the majority of the blame for the state of our program and we have no President to make the decision and on top of all we have not one coach on staff who could serve as interim.
    Huston we have a problem!!
    GO GATORS

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'll just leave this nugget here. Lol... :rolleyes:

He might make a good DC somewhere one day... But not in Gainesville.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2024 at 2:06 PM
    • Dislike x 3
    • Funny x 3
    • Informative x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  3. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Re successful big name coaches who have been out of the game, we need a new coach with energy ready to rebuild the mess Napier's going to leave. I cannot imagine an Urban or Gruden coming in and being committed, really committed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. gatorfan828

gatorfan828 Sophomore

Dec 8, 2016
    Orlando, Florida
    Jeremy Foley is in charge

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Boosters footing the bill is in charge.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. lerxst6

lerxst6 GC Legend

Apr 11, 2007
    Naples

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    Question for the board: Does an AD have to have knowledge about the game of college football or is he just interviewing and basing his decision on how the candidate answers the questions?
    Seems like he should know how the game works with portal and NIL etc. and even some knowledge about schemes and who he is interviewing.
    Any coaching candidate can just say what they think the AD wants to hear and if the AD doesn't know any better, we get Napiered.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree, just posted it to get more dialogue going... :D;)

It worked...

• Like Like x 1
  9. gatorfan828

gatorfan828 Sophomore

Dec 8, 2016
    Orlando, Florida
    He was not hired without being vetted. SS is a professional and I am sure he is qualified to run an Athletic department at a major university. His job goes well beyond just hiring coaches unfortunately. His resume outside of hires, is probably as good as any ADs resume out there.

It has been outlined in other articles that this stems all the way back to the Urban days. Foley thought the name/brand would sell it self, while the other schools were starting the arms race and creating football programs that made NFL teams looked bad. UAA is proud of our success in ALL sports, and has been unwilling to sell their soul to Football like the other schools.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2017

11. Mikog8tor

Mikog8tor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2010
    Hire a Mississippi AD, get Mississippi results.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. always_and_forever_uf

always_and_forever_uf GC Legend

Jun 20, 2022
    Unfortunately, Billy Napier ultimately resulted in a colossal failure as UF HFC. In the beginning, I had high hopes for his potential success, and I supported him as he dealt with the horrendous mess he inherited from smartest man in the room Mullen (who, yes, is a GREAT offensive Xs and Os strategizer----FAR, FAR superior to Napier). Yadda, yadda......as Napier's tenure unfolded, the results on the field crumbled to the extent that there is no more uncertainty bolstered by patience. Napier HAD to go.

Who is up next? I do not know. What I do know is the next man up, to be successful, can not be solely driven by money. Next man up is going to have to be able to navigate today's college football, which is as different from 1990 (or 2005) as then was different from the days of West Point and Red Blaik in the 1940s. Moreover, the next in charge will need some luck, good fortune with recruits and most importantly, something inside the gut that ETERNALLY BURNS for on field success-----at FLORIDA. HERE, in North Central.

I love and shall continue to love The University of Florida. I owe The University of Florida for everything I have. Outside my family, nothing is as dear to me.

In all kinds of weather.....It Is Great To Be A Florida Gator.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    It’ll bite their ass in the future if they don’t give football . It’s already has in the product they’ve been selling us and it’s going to bite them in the wallet in the near future if they can’t get it together.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Glad you support SS. But I don't believe blaming Foley for Stricklin's poor hires is fair, even though most of us believe Foley mismanaged the Football program.

What do you mean by "sell their souls"? Seems to me you are saying the UAA "does it right" while the Texas, georgia, alabama, ole miss etc don't, and that we are better because we fail. I doubt that's going to fly.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach

• Winner Winner x 2
  16. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Correct but we still can’t be always searching for the bargains.

17. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Glen started the bad hires and it’s only continued under Napier. I question if’s financial commitment.

18. army_gator03

army_gator03 Senior

Oct 5, 2019
    Who is Glen?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 4
  19. always_and_forever_uf

always_and_forever_uf GC Legend

Jun 20, 2022
    I agree completely, Wanne. We most likely are going to have to pay. I got no problem with that, as we do not care how much it costs, we care about how much it makes (real and figure of speech). We have the money, it is just that our next hire cannot be just wooed to the highest bidder.

Next man up may be an outsider or an insider. Regardless of either, next man up is going to have to want success for UF Football second to nothing (next breath analogy). It can be done. There are those out there. We got to find one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2017
    Money narrative is nonsense anyway. Look at the top 10 teams and what the coach got at the time of hire.