Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Which game will be Billy Napiers last? Poll

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by okeechobee, Aug 31, 2024.

Which game will be Billy Napiers last?

This poll will close on Oct 7, 2024 at 2:05 PM.
  1. Mississippi State

41.6%
  2. UCF

24.3%
  3. Tennessee

4.9%
  4. Kentucky

4.9%
  5. During the Gaunlet

6.5%
  6. FSU/Post Season/ He goes the distance

17.8%
  1. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think he wants us to succeed. I believe most if not all ex-gators are pissed off at the way things transpired over the past few years. Unlike Dan Mullen, who basically is ungrateful and resentful of us, Coach Meyer hasn't been negative to us.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. terminator3

terminator3 Sophomore

Sep 27, 2014
    People are funny. Many will do anything to win!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. WindoverG8tr

WindoverG8tr GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Does it matter that Spurrier hated UF so much that he wanted to come back after the
    Daniel Snyder experience in the NFL ? That he dislikes UF so much that he is the Coach Emeritus or Ambassador or whatever his title is? Or that all the old media guys all say Sprurrier loves UF? Yeah he had UF burnout but he would have come back. Same for Urban. Those are the only two that UF would have considered bringing back. You guys who are spouting that UF is some coaches graveyard and that no one wants to come here because the fans are so mean are full of it in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. gatorrob87

gatorrob87 Senior

Oct 28, 2023
    Citra, Florida
    Yeah it’s the mean old demanding fans fault for running all these former Florida coaches off. If we could have been more patient with 3 to 4 loosing seasons like the fans at:
    Alabama
    Auburn
    LSU
    Texas
    A&M
    Tennessee
    FSU
    Miami
    Oklahoma
    Georgia

Vanderbilt
    Patient like Vanderbilt, yeah that’s the ticket!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
  5. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    Hind sight being 20/20 and all, it may have been the president wanted Meyer all along and the resume thing was a way to do that. Having said that, if Spurrier came back, I don't think we would have won 2 nattys.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    The resume fable originated here, on this forum, that and Spurrier's supposed response of "Go look in the trophy case", all made up for clicks

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    I agree that story is probably BS. You just never find out the whole truth in any of these coaching searches. But that is a good story, and sometimes that's better than the truth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I have a ton of patience and game one year three wore that shit out

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    He was asked to go through the interview process like other candidates. Not resume, but same effect.

10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    To not beg him to come back is just plain dumb.

11. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    ALL SPURRIER TRULY WANTED WAS A JOB OFFER
    Mike Bianchi, Staff Reports

Steve Spurrier was asked this question outright Friday morning:

“Were you turned off that Jeremy [Foley] and President [Bernie] Machen wanted you to go through the interview process and a national search to become the next coach at the University of Florida?”

Spurrier’s answer was short but telling.

“Well, Jeremy knows me and knows what I can do and the president knows who I am . . . or maybe he doesn’t. I guess he doesn’t remember meeting me.”

I guess he doesn’t remember meeting me.

That will be the parting shot heard ’round the world, or at least around the Gator portion of the world, over the next — oh, I don’t know — two decades as the Orange-and-Blue masses continue to gnash their teeth about why Spurrier decided not to return to coach at his beloved U of F.

Spurrier’s off-the-cuff quote, uttered during a 10-minute phone interview, was his indirect way of saying he wasn’t going to jump through Machen’s hoops and do a song-and-dance to get his old job back.

Specifically, Spurrier was referring to a comment Machen made at a news conference 12 days ago when Ron Zook was fired. It was there where Machen was asked if he’d ever had any contact with Spurrier.

Machen shook his head no and said he’d only seen Spurrier’s picture.

Except there was one problem: Machen had met Spurrier a few months earlier at the SEC basketball tournament in Atlanta, where Spurrier and his wife, Jerri, sat near Machen at one of the games. When ol’ Sam Donaldson Bianchi here called the president on this discrepancy at the Zook news conference, Machen acknowledged that he had met Spurrier at the basketball tournament and that they had even shaken hands.

I thought it was peculiar then that Machen didn’t remember meeting the most famous alumnus and legendary figure in his school’s history.

Spurrier obviously thought it was curious, too. Was it a memory lapse, or Machen telling Gator Nation that Steve Spurrier is no big deal to him?

And if Florida was serious about hiring Spurrier, don’t you think Machen should have called Spurrier and expressed that sentiment?

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again: If Steve Spurrier had immediately been offered the job at UF, he would have taken it in a Micanopy minute. I’m even more convinced of that after talking with him Friday.

Spurrier, predictably, took the high road when he released a glowing statement Thursday removing his name from UF’s job search. The man loves UF too much to intentionally drag the school through the mud. But the real story became clear Friday: Spurrier backed out because he wasn’t going to be just another name on Machen’s short list.

Question: “Steve, if UF had come out of the box and offered you the job, would you have accepted it?”

Spurrier hemmed and hawed before answering: “Let’s just say we never got a chance to cross that bridge, OK?”

I asked the question again another way.

“But, Steve, what if they had said, ‘It’s your job if you want it.’ Would you have taken it or not?”

“We just never got a chance to cross the bridge,” Spurrier said again without actually answering the question. “I’m not going to say anything bad about the University of Florida. I think this is the best thing for everybody. I just think with me hanging around, it hindered Jeremy and the president’s search process. Now that I’m out of the picture, they can go interview the coaches they have on their list.”

Twice, Spurrier had a chance to say, “No, I wouldn’t have accepted the job even if it had been offered.” Twice, he wouldn’t say it.

When pressed again about whether he should have had to interview for the UF job, Spurrier was reminded of something he said back in the 1990s.

“Yeah,” he recalled, “when those NFL boys used to call me about interviewing when I was coaching the Gators before, I used to tell them: ‘If you want to offer me the job, I’ll consider it. But I’m not interviewing.'”

Spurrier obviously wasn’t going to take a number and wait in line for a chance to return to the alma mater he almost single-handedly placed among college football’s elite. He didn’t have to interview 14 years ago when he took the job; why should he have to interview now — six SEC titles and one national championship later?

I can just imagine how the interview process would have gone:

Machen: “Steve, give me an idea of what you think the job description should entail.”

Spurrier: “Well, actually, Bernie, I created the job description. And it entails winning lots of games and making the school lots of money.”

Foley was adamant again Friday about how imperative it is for UF to conduct a comprehensive search to make sure the Gators hire the best coach available. Maybe he’s right, but I believe he’s wrong. Foley, who knows better than anybody how Spurrier thinks, surely had an idea that this “national search” likely would cost UF a chance to bring back Spurrier.

I give up on trying to figure out the modus operandi UF uses to hire football coaches.

Three years ago, the Gators rushed through the process and hired the wrong coach. Now, they’re taking their sweet time, and it likely cost them the right coach.

Originally Published: November 6, 2004 at 12:00 a.m.

ALL SPURRIER TRULY WANTED WAS A JOB OFFER – Orlando Sentinel

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    I’m not sure about that. What he was able to do at SC was amazing. I would think with the resources and recruiting footprint of UF, he would’ve continued to be successful.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2017
    [​IMG]

Kiffin express derailed by people stuck in 1996. Many such cases.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Hall of Fame

Jul 24, 2010
    Incorrect, but nice try.

15. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Hall of Fame

Jul 24, 2010
    Tail end of his approach.

16. eightiesgator

eightiesgator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2017
    Elaborate.

17. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    If it came to that, I’d rather be a giver than a receiver

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I don’t necessarily believe that. Had Bella check not ran into Brady, he may be a failure also. That’s the tricky thing about the NFL is Bill Walsh also genius or is Joe Montana and Steve Young just bad asses. I think it’s both but you get my drift.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. foot

foot Senior

Mar 24, 2008
    All normal people respond well to great leadership no matter how demanding. If urban came back to Florida this place and recruiting would go electric.

20. eightiesgator

eightiesgator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2017
    I don't disagree, but then you are saying that coaching in the NFL is irrelevant...