Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What's happening in DeSantistan 2.0

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator_lawyer, Jun 9, 2023.

1. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Just got my property insurance renewal. My premium is going up 50% after going up 33% last year. This is just absurd.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. SotaGator

SotaGator Junior

Apr 4, 2014
    Am holding my breath, my renewal comes up soon.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Ouch. So glad we have Amica. They don't have many policies in Florida so their exposure is limited so our rates have went up $450 +/- in 25 years

4. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I had Farmers. They pulled out of the market. Now, I have Citizens.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2024
  5. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Griffin partnering with Desi to try and kill legal MJ. He must be invested in for profit prisons or alcohol sales

This billionaire is spending millions to defeat recreational weed in Florida (msn.com)

In a Friday op-ed for the Miami Herald, the billionaire founder of Citadel hedge fund wrote that he had pledged $20 million to various Florida politicians and the effort to block Amendment 3 from being passed. The Herald clarified in a later article that $12 million would be pledged to defeating Amendment 3, with the rest of the funds going to local candidates.

"Passage of Amendment 3 would create a monopoly for large marijuana dispensaries and permit pot use in public and private areas throughout Florida," Griffin, who lives in Miami, wrote. "That will help no one other than special interests — and it will hurt us all, especially through more dangerous roads, a higher risk of addiction among our youth, and an increase in crime."

Griffin wrote that "skyrocketing crime, suffering among children," and "a decline in the quality of life in Florida's vibrant neighborhoods" would be inevitable if Amendment 3 passed, citing similar initiatives in California, Colorado, and New York that he called "mistakes."

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. G8R92

G8R92 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 5, 2010
    Medical dispensaries are another big opponent. There are some wealthy people making a killing on the current business model in Florida.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    These are "the markets" speaking. Just be happy with the 50% or so you added to your house value over the last decade.

8. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    He might as well light it on fire. I don't see any way this doesn't pass. Ditto for the abortion amendment.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  9. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Try shopping it through a bundle with your auto insurer. When Tower Hill dropped us, we called State Farm, and our agent—basically as a favor— tried to write the policy and State Farm took it. Our homeowners insurance, with the bundle, stayed basically the same.

10. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    The biggest medical dispensary is spending tons of money to get recreational passed. Many on the medical dispensary business are finding it very difficult to turn profits.

11. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    That sounds nice for a person who has owned their house for a decade. I've owned mine for only a few years.

12. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Dummer Bude! Bottom line is their risk only increases by the day due to this, hurricanes, etc. Everyone is crying for "the government" to do something, but the only thing they can do is subsidize it or force companies to cover at a loss (which I think would be illegal). So, here we are. . . . Though I have to chuckle when guys who always whine about welfare (not saying you) start crying for the government to subsidize their insurance.

13. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    No, I'm criticizing the government because what they did was stupid and ineffective. We will soon reach a point where the choice is either going to be the government providing affordable insurance or people will start leaving in droves due to cost of living. And my views on this issue are consistent with my views on healthcare and social safety nets.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    I was speaking more generally (not targeted at you). And your assessment is dead on. No offense (I hope you can stay), but the latter sounds really appealing to a native like me. Honestly, I think we're too full as it is and certainly don't need to add any more people. Unfortunately, our state is owned by developers and real-estate folks, so they'll get the government to subsidize their future profits, just like they always do.

15. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    That's the price we pay to protect our kids from woke, DEI bathrooms

• Funny Funny x 4
  16. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I wouldn't be sad if some of the old retirees left. But odds are that it'll disproportionately be younger native Floridians who opt to go. Two close friends of mine and their infant child are moving out of state for this very reason. Not really the folks we want to see leaving Florida (young, highly educated professionals).

17. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Yep. They're chasing us out. I know several similar stories. Colorado or NC/Tenn (mountains) is usually where they go. Reality is they've pretty much ruined it and it will never again be the place it was. In 20 years it will just be Miami from top to bottom.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    Homeowners insurance, Medical insurance, Auto insurance they are all going sky high. I blame the Lawyers for it, they are the ones on TV who are sue Happy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  19. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Better building standards which are in effect
    Tax break or subsidies for shutters, gable support systems would help.
    We have had two cat 4's and 5 or 6 other storms and had one roof claim with Ian. But we have shutters and no gables, no pool cage,

• Like Like x 1
  20. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Of course you do. So did the Republicans in Tallahassee. Yet, changing the law to stick it to the lawyers didn't fix the problem. You're going to need another scapegoat.

• Winner Winner x 1