Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What's happening in DeSantistan 2.0

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator_lawyer, Jun 9, 2023.

1. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Also vetoing flood mitigation in Dade

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I’m not sure this is off topic, considering that Ron DeSantis played baseball at Yale and was hated by many of his teammates.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    It's also not off topic considering DeSantis specifically stated that the reason he vetoed funding for their Pasco training complex was because the Rays spoke out against gun violence.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

DeSantis said that? Not saying that wasnt the reason, just asking if he actually admitted it.

5. dynogator

dynogator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    DeSantis allies set up a school to train a $100 million door-knocking army

Don't you just love it when political solicitors show up at your door, ready to pummel you with talking points? DeSantis going old school now with low tech, but high cost--100 million, to be exact. Maybe he's skittish about employing tech in his campaign after his lamentable Twitter launch.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/06/16/desantis-door-knocking-super-pac/

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    I was getting things a little mixed up with the Rays and Disney where DeSantis has been far more open about his reasons for punishing them. DeSantis didn't specifically say the Rays tweet was a reason. But he implied it by saying it's “inappropriate to subsidize political activism of a private corporation.” in relation to his veto of the Rays training complex.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Gotcha. I dont like his pandering, especially if it hurts the Rays. (Selfish I know). I just thought I recalled hom being pretty careful with his words there.

8. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Direct retaliation. What can be done? Will the senate grow a pair and override?

9. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    I really hope im home when they knock. They are likely to quit or seek a big raise after i get done with them

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I’ll be happy to share my thoughts on DeSantis to any rube who comes to our door shilling for MBR.

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Door knocking is an effective outreach strategy. But yeah, if a DeSantis door knocker knocked on my door, I'd tell them that I'm not interested and to have a nice day.

12. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Much too polite

13. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Just to warm up for the future door knocker…

What don’t I like about DeSantis?

He is a big government anti jobs anti conservative - he attacks one of the largest employers and economic engines in the state of FL because of petty politics.

He is a big government anti business RFK liberal conspiracist - he is deploying government to attack Pfizer on completely fraudulent charges.

He is a big government anti free speech zealot - he attacks individuals, corporations, schools, colleges etc for speech he doesn’t like.

He is a big government nanny state Christian Taliban Jesus freak - his advocacy of forcing my family members of what choices they have in their health care - such as six week abortions and other medical care.

Incompetent executive - he hired the most incompetent Surgeon General in perhaps the history of any state - Lapado is an outright fraud who should lose his medical license and be criminally charged with disseminating intentionally false information.

But but his Covid handling was so great……???

Bullshit. He didn’t allow business to make their own decisions (big govt anti business ), didn’t allow school districts to make their own decisions, and for whatever the merits of having open schools, which was correct, student testing performance didn’t show any benefit. Also, while freedom is great, approximately twice he number of people per capita died of Covid in FL vs other more restrictive states, so it did come with a cost.

- Enough with woke, trans, etc. I don’t give a shit.

- He is a wimp. Trump is shitting all over him and he sits there with his mouth open. He can’t stand up for himself. Imagine how the like of Putin or Xi will make him their bitch.

-He wears white boots

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I've volunteered for campaigns, I have friends who do it, and I know people who do political organizing for a living. I would hope that people on the other side of the spectrum would treat my friends with the same courtesy. So I'll treat the DeSantis people the way I'd want to be treated and the way I'd want my friends to be treated, no matter how much I dislike their candidate.

If Ron himself knocked on my door, yeah, I'd criticize him to his face. But there's zero chance that's happening.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Amen

16. dynogator

dynogator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Is it? It seems annoyingly intrusive, to me. The best thing I can say for it is that it creates jobs, although $100 million is a shocking amount of money, imo.

I wouldn't be rude to them, though. I don't even answer the door unless I know who's there. Is that rude? :emoji_thinking:

17. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Face to face communication is far more effective than any other form of communication.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    MBR? Medical beauty research?

19. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    And the aforementioned are his good points.

20. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Meatball Ron.