Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What's happening in DeSantistan 2.0

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator_lawyer, Jun 9, 2023.

1. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Depends on whether "parental rights" mean the right to control the material presented to your child in a public school setting that is not supposed to be about individualized instruction (with certain exceptions), vs the "right" to control what other children are exposed to. They mainly care about the latter

Last edited: Oct 19, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Supreme Court said capital punishment for sex offenses was illegal. Desi says hold my beer and ignores the ruling while signing the bill. Is this just set up for the court to reverse the earlier ruling?

“Sign of dictatorship and a slippery slope to executing political opponents”: DeSantis’ death penalty law faces harsh criticism (msn.com)

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signed a bill allowing the death penalty in child rape convictions, despite a U.S. Supreme Court ruling that banned capital punishment in such cases. The law relies on jury votes of 8-4 rather than unanimously. This puts Florida on the map as the most extreme death penalty state, and people are unhappy about it.

In Stoneman Douglas high school shooting in 2018, Nikolas Cruz shot 14 students and three staff members. Cruz, who was 19 then, received 34 consecutive life sentences without the possibility of parole. The case was closed in November 2022, and since then, DeSantis has been pushing for a death sentence without a unanimous jury.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    not Surprised that Chyna Ron thinks BIG GOV is infallible.

4. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 6
  5. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Ron DePsychopath doesn't care if innocent people are put to death.

6. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    I didn't want to set up another thread, since this is linked to of course, Duhsantis. He is fiscally irresponsible. This, by the way, is not new.

Despite billions in surplus, Florida keeps 22,500 families with disabilities on waiting list | Commentary

One section of the opinion piece in case it is a pay link.

And not just any waitlist. Nearly half the families have been waiting for a decade to access services such as therapy, grooming and transportation. Some children die before receiving assistance.
    Seminole County resident JJ Holmes is 19 years old and has been waiting since he was 3.

His mother, Alison, said Wednesday that JJ may get help in about a year and a half when he turns 21. That’s because, as long as lawmakers refuse to fully fund the program, people like JJ, who can’t walk or even feed himself, are not considered a priority until they’re an adult and potentially on their own.

Holmes said the state has basically told her that, until JJ’s 21, he can’t get help “unless he’s homeless or I die.”

Such is life for Florida’s special-needs families after the session of the century.

• Informative Informative x 6
  7. FutureGatorMom

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    More from the article:

It wasn’t always like this in Florida. Back when Jeb Bush was governor, the state fully funded the Medicaid waiver program that provides respite care and other services to these often financially drained families.

Back then, families had sued Florida for failing to meet its obligations. Bush knew they were right. So, before the courts ruled against the state, he beefed up funding to make sure everyone was served. Doing so, of course, didn’t break the bank. In fact, Bush would later say that the full funding “elevated the lives of all Floridians.”

But the GOP lawmakers who have controlled funding in more recent years haven’t felt the same way even when there was money galore. One year, then-Gov. Rick Scott had so much extra money in his budget that he launched a statewide tour, asking people for ideas on how he should spend it all. Well, maybe a lot of the people he asked were chamber-of-commerce lobbyists. Because Scott decided to use much of that surplus on corporate tax breaks … for businesses that already enjoyed some of the lowest business-tax rates in America. The waiting list remained full.

• Informative Informative x 5
  8. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    The Manatee County park named after him

upload_2023-10-19_16-3-58.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 7
  9. FutureGatorMom

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    IMO, things shouldn't be named after politicians until they're out of office at least - probably until they've passed on.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Shaped like a penis and scrotum. Very appropriate for DeSantis.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  12. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The most dangerous people in the US are in Tampa, but they’re scared themselves. The picture shows what a fearsome group they are.

Among the many stories circulating at the national school librarians conference this weekend, there was the one about the Right To Read rally.Guests were told the Friday evening event would be held inside the Tampa Convention Center ballroom.

“Why inside?” asked Claudia Mason, a California school library coordinator and one of 2,000 who attended the American Association of School Librarians’ gathering. “We should be on the street.” Some had heard about security concerns; others voiced fears that protesters would be arrested.

Amanda Jones of Baton Rouge, Louisiana, co-chairperson of the conference, said the issue was indeed security. “We were very worried,” she said. “I myself have had threats.”

Welcome to life as a school librarian in 2023.

Librarians, ready for a fight, land in Florida
    Librarians, ready for a fight, land in Florida - Tampa Bay Times
    IMG_2021.jpeg

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Further to the above, Stephanie Hayes did a great column on the convention, and this was hilarious under suggested locally themed Halloween costumes

IMG_2022.jpeg

14. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  15. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Questions about whether DeSantis is using the state plane to fly to fundraising events for his presidential campaign.

Piggybacking pattern? DeSantis flights blur line between state travel, campaign

• Informative Informative x 4
  16. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    rules are for others. just like the origination of the immigrants or the no bid contract, laws are not being applied to desi out of fear of retribution. but being term limited and obviously never headed to a national office, I suspect the legislature, or at least hope so, will push back more this year. desi doesn't have the covid cash to buy them all into silence this year.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  17. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Woke law enforcement in Miami targeting conservatives

He allegedly told an opponent’s campaign worker, ‘I’ll shoot you and nothing is going to happen to me because I used to be a police officer.’
    Former police officer Frank Pichel is in legal hot water again after allegedly pulling a gun on someone working for the campaign of his political opponent.

Weaponizing the liberal legal system to violate a candidate's Second Amendment and free speech rights as well as regular conservative campaign tactics. Also attacking police perogatives!

18. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Glad the people in Tallahassee want to suppress "woke" speech. There definitely isn't any more racism in this state:
    Man sentenced to 1 year in prison for racially motivated attack at site of Rosewood massacre - WUFT News
    Outside court, Emanuel and roughly two-dozen of his supporters congregated around his truck – a white Ford F-250 donning a Confederate flag, the exact likeness of the vehicle used in the attack.

In an interview Monday, Emanuel said he plans to sell his house and move to another part of town to remain close to his son’s grave.

“I’m not living across from a Rosewood memorial that thousands of Black people are going to come to,” he said.

19. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    It is similar in texas. You get on waiting lists that can last decades. My son has been on list for 5 years. I’d have put him on it earlier if I had known about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017