Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What's happening in DeSantistan 2.0

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator_lawyer, Jun 9, 2023.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Exactly. I'm not the one tossing that grenade into the fray. I am however sending it return to sender.

2. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    I don’t care what you do or who you claim to do it for. I’m referring to your bs post which you are desperately spinning away from. People always reveal who they are if you pay attention.

3. tilly

Yep. You are a white elitist that wants to move away to a rich white island instead of actually help anyone. I mean since we are judging people only on a few message board posts right?

No, people are who they really are. Every day. 9-5.

Enjoy the Mediterranean or wherever.

4. Sohogator

Aug 22, 2012
    I see your confusion. Not being an annoying evangelical Christo type I don’t go around loudly braying about all the good things I way or may not do for anyone.

Just to let you know I held the door for to a woman yesterday. Total smoke show and I got a radiant smile. My kindness was my reward.

5. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    If Ukrainian people opted to flee instead of fighting, I wouldn't lecture them about it either. Of course, it's very a different situation when a foreign power is attacking your country versus your own government attempting to harm its own people.

6. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    So your response is that you are returning the vitriolic hatred that you have endured?

Is that your assertion? If yes, that is comical on it's face.

And very Christian of you to boot, turning the other cheek and all that..

7. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    No, I think seeking to prevent trans adult and minors from getting life-saving healthcare is harmful. I think forcing trans people to choose between arrest if they use the bathroom of their gender and physical attack if they use the bathroom of their biological sex is harmful.

I think arresting and charging people (who were disproportionately Black) you told could vote for voting is harmful. I think putting teachers in constant fear of losing their livelihood if they say something that could be construed as "woke" is harmful.

I think stirring up anti-LGBTQ sentiment with laws and messaging, including accusations of gay people being "groomers," is harmful. I think tricking people seeking asylum into getting on a plane and then dumping them in a spot with no warning or resources in place for them is harmful.

I've had gay people tell me about being called slurs when they're shopping for groceries in their own communities. I've had Black people tell me of their outrage that their children will be taught the benefits of slavery. I've had transgender people talk to me about the difficulty obtaining their meds and how going without them will do damage to their mental health.

So don't come in here and spout bullshit to try and downplay the harm being done to people. It's easy to understand why these folks would want to leave. Nobody wants to live in a place where they're not welcome. Nobody wants to live surrounded by bigots who hate them.

Oh yes, Tilly, we're the ones "harming" minors by allowing them the option to get gender-affirming care---care that has proven to save lives, care that is backed by all the leading medical associations, and care that is very much voluntary and left to the patients, doctors, and families. You and the bigot brigade are definitely looking out for people when you try to strip them of that choice.

Hahahahahahahaha, sure. "Allowing" kids the choice to read award-winning novels that libraries determined to be appropriate for their age is so dangerous, Tilly.

News to me. Did we decide to teach about the benefits of slavery? Did we block the AP African American studies course? Did we try to outlaw college professors and students discussing "woke" concepts?

You view freedom as harmful, which is why you support taking it away from the folks you don't agree with.

I'm sure you will. That is, of course, why folks want to get away from the people who think like you.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. tilly

Ah a little liberal chauvinism to keep us rolling. ;)

You seem to be unable to follow along. I brought up my career choice in response to your unfair and inaccurate accusation.

I felt that as a matter of fact, I needed to set the record straight.

There is no confusion on my part whatsoever, but i did however respond to yours.

Enjoy Cypress or Crete or wherever.

9. tilly

The bigot card. Congrats. Feel better now?

Ok since you want to speak for me, I am not against adults having freedom to do whatever they wish.

"Award winning novels" means nothing to me. I think most books should be left alone. But are you actually going to say we should have no test for age appropriateness in school libraries? What's next in your "fReEdOm" crusade?

You seem to not be able to differentiate between reasonable debate on specifics and an all on approach.

Parents should decide what is 8n a school library, not a single librarian. My guess is a devout MAGA librarian would not get similar support and for good reason.

Maybe you are against content blockers on school computers too?

No limits?

10. Sohogator

Aug 22, 2012
    No accusation. Your post spoke for itself. It’s Spain or Portugal. I’m checking out Panama this week but I”m an elitist so I’ll probably end up in a more cultured place.

11. tilly

No man. I dont condone hatred in any form. I was returning the grenade of "but that guy" that you mentioned.

As in, when a post about how "harmful" one side is, I will gladly remind someone that both sides are viewed as harmful.

Hate is a very strong word that has been co-opted for political gain.

I don't hate transgendered people just because I support an age limit on reassignment surgery.

I don't hate minorities if I found affirmative action to be counter productive to society as a whole.

I dont hate freedom because I think books in libraries should be age appropriate for the school they are in.

But around here, that makes me part of the "bigot brigade" as a certain "tolerant" poster pointed out upthread.

So yes, some return fire will exist.

12. tilly

Quote my post and tell me what it "spoke".
    Try and do it without twisting the words though.

13. tilly

Sort of how you feel when someones religious liberty is at stake?

Or should we maybe stop making blanket accusations and have a real conversation?

14. Sohogator

Aug 22, 2012
    Wut? The bold bits. The race bit was a nice insight as well. Seems like they spoke to everyone else too.

15. tilly

They spoke to the same small group of closed minded people whose biased interpretation of my points is on them.

Your "white nationalist" accusation is the most entertaining fantasy of all your posts so far.

16. Sohogator

Aug 22, 2012
    Sure thing dude.

17. tilly

Lets start with this one...

So I am a white nationalist because I think affirmative action hasnt been the best approach?

18. Sohogator

Aug 22, 2012
    While the race bit raises interesting questions I didn’t call you a white nationalist. Pretty clear though that you’re an aggrieved “Christian” white dude. NTTAWWT.

19. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Maybe we should get back to the topic of this thread, which is what a complete POS DeSantis is.

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    As opposed to, paraphrasing Bono, using thread interactions to "play Jesus, to the lepers in your head."