Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What's happening in DeSantistan 2.0

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator_lawyer, Jun 9, 2023.

1. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    1st comment I saw on X nails it:Yikes. Maybe he needs to consult with his new campaign manager on wether he should still love his kid

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Trump is charged with 91 felonies and is getting 57% of R voters. Clearly what DeSantis needs is some felony charges if he wants to compete.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This could really go on about 70% of the threads here. It is the unified field theory of political disputes

A recent New York Times/Siena College poll found that Republican voters nationally and in the early primary state of Iowa preferred a candidate with a law-and-order message and talk of strong borders to one centered on battling “woke ideology.”

From 2020 to 2021, Republican perception of local crime spiked. The number of Republicans who said crime was up in their area went from 38% to 67%, according to a Gallup poll. Democrats and independents saw an increase, too, but nothing like the jump among Republicans.

The violent crime rate in the U.S. remained largely unchanged in recent years, though the murder rate did increase in 2020 in both Democratic-run cities and Republican-run cities, according to The New York Times.

When people talk about how much crime matters to them, it’s not really tied to the crime rate,” said Jon Gould, a professor of criminology, law and society at the University of California, Irvine. “It’s actually tied to how comfortable they are with societal changes.”

An eye on law and order
    An eye on law and order - Tampa Bay Times

For more great content like this subscribe to the Tampa Bay Times app here: https://subscribe.tampabay.com/

• Informative Informative x 3
  4. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    I guess saving money on energy is woke:

With a stroke of the pen, DeSantis had wiped out the seed money needed for Florida to get what would have been $346 million from Washington for Milligan’s heat pump and other energy-saving programs, the email said.

“He’s hurting millions of Floridians,” Milligan said, identifying himself as a lifelong political independent.

DeSantis offered no explanation for axing the energy programs in his veto message.

DeSantis veto cost $346 million in energy-saving programs for Florida

• Informative Informative x 8
  5. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Just refusing DC money that will now go to a different state to own da libs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. dynogator

dynogator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    In the article, he mentions college football, and that he went to college in Florida, but no shout-out for UF or the Gators. GINO.

7. mikemcd810

mikemcd810 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm sure the Biden grandchild pearl clutchers will be along momentarily to be outraged about this

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    He didn’t go to college in Florida.

9. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Hey, you can fly a lot of migrants around the country with $346 million.

10. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    True, but Florida will not be getting the $346 million from the federal government, nor will they be providing assistance with energy saving products.

11. dynogator

dynogator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    My bad. I think it was this quote in the article that mentioned the Rays: “I grew up a Braves fan in the Southeast and then when the Rays came, I was in college, so I was kind of getting into them,” DeSantis said.

12. Gator40

Gator40 Avada Kedavra

Apr 3, 2007
    He's a libbie. He went to woke Harvard.

13. StrangeGator

StrangeGator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Yale undergrad (he's a Bulldog) and Harvard law.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. dynogator

dynogator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    That's quite impressive. Sadly, his top-shelf education doesn't seem to inform his decisions and actions.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    It’s not impressive because he goes out of his way to criticize and disparage the education.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    alienated people leaving the state in the face of intimidation upsets me. Rather than standing up for themselves and changing the momentum, they fold and leave and make the state even redder. The silent majority in the pub party know they are better than this. Why do they allow it to grow?

Proud purple to angry red: These Florida residents feel unwelcome in 'new' Florida (msn.com)

There exist widespread reports of people abandoning the state because they no longer feel welcome here. Following her family's exodus to Pennsylvania in May, former Brevard County resident and Democratic Party activist Stacey Patel told FLORIDA TODAY, "It's like breathing, you know? After holding your breath for a really long time."

Nikki Fried, the state's former commissioner of agriculture and current Florida Democratic Party chair, predicted 800,000 immigrants had left the state after DeSantis signed SB 1718 into law. It imposes strict restrictions and penalties to deter the employment of undocumented workers in the state.
    "It's very, very upsetting. We've lost all sense of sanity, logic and civil discourse. It's so difficult to sit in on meetings because it's such a clown show," Siebenaler said. "People are so dramatic, so theatrical. It makes me just so sad that we have gotten to the point where the average person doesn't want to go to these meetings, where all people do is yell and scream."
    Eighty-three percent of the Hernando County teachers with three years or less experience were among those who resigned, said Dan Scott, a former World History teacher at Springstead High School.

Scott, who was in his third year of teaching, was one of "13 or 14" at Springstead alone who chose to pursue another occupation, in large part, "based on the overhead decisions in the government of Florida," he said.

@tilly ..does it bother DeSantis supporters that this is the culture that has been created and is disenfranchising a large part of the populace?

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    Wut? 62% support Trump, 16% support DeSatan. 6% support that freaking punk Ramaswarmy. The silent GOP “majority” are all Independents now and there not too many of them.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Boy does Kareem nail it

Warren is White, and Worrell is Black, so why is the suspension of Worrell racist? Because it’s about perception. Worrell is Florida’s only Black female state attorney, so by suspending her, DeSantis is making it clear that he can control all Black activists (as well as unruly women). She was elected with 67% of the vote, which signals to DeSantis’ base that he’s not bound by voters’ preferences, especially Black voters. His accusations that she was soft on crime do not hold up under examination, but the people he’s appealing to don’t want to examine. They want Daddy DeSantis to make the scary Black people go away and to take uppity women, whiny LGBTQ+ people, and dirty immigrants with them.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Why would people stay in a state that is either actively attempting to harm them (LGBTQ community and people of color) or is making them miserable? It's completely understandable why people with options would choose to walk.

And I'm sorry, man, but there is no "silent majority" in the GOP who opposes this. This is what the majority in the GOP want, and they continue to make that clear with their adulation of Trump and DeSantis (at least until he decided to go against Donald).

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

The culture of speculation? Because Fried made up a number? Because of "widespread reports"?

I mean does it bother you that Newsome runs off red voters from California?

My point is that we are so polarized that people run from disagreement. I live in a state with a liberal governor who I disagree with on many things. I'm not moving my family around the country because of it.

What if the people in the article moved to PA and in the next cycle PA elects a hardline red governor? Do they move again?

I have been honest about disagreeing with RD on several things, but I still think he is the only hope to unseat Trump. (Albeit a fading hope it seems.)