Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What's happening in DeSantistan 2.0

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator_lawyer, Jun 9, 2023.

1. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
  2. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    desi outlaws permanent alimony. he wants stay at home moms and he wants them to know their place. lot of conservative divorcees just got screwed over

Gov. Ron DeSantis signs new law putting an end to permanent alimony in Florida (wpbf.com)

While supporters say this law won’t apply to existing alimony agreements, opponents say that could happen. DeSantis signed this bill Friday night. The new law went into effect Saturday.
    "I put an amendment on to say that this bill is not retroactive, and they would not accept my amendment, so I worry that even though they have made representations that it’s not retroactive that there are parts of it that will in effect have the same effect as if it was retroactive,” said Berman.

The founder of the First Wives Advocacy Group, Jan Killilea of Boca Raton, says the organization was disappointed by DeSantis' decision to sign the bill.

“We believe by signing it, he has put older women in a situation which will cause financial devastation," said Killilea. "The so-called party of ‘family values’ has just contributed to erosion of the institution of marriage in Florida."

• Informative Informative x 5
  3. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    he’s such a vile human being. The nicest possible wish I have for him is that Karma hits him like a fright train. He deserves everything bad that comes his way. I will give him a starring role in tomorrows 2 minutes of hate.

4. rock8591

rock8591 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Here's a brief list of his accomplishments:

*Born to middle class family. Had no connections to anyone in politics nor Hollywood. No athletic scholarship. Graduated from Yale after taking out student loans. He did it by busting his tail.
    *Later graduated from Harvard with a JD; both his Yale and Harvard degrees were cum laude (3.5 GPA or higher, which is a B+ to A- average).
    *When he could have worked for whomever he wanted, made as much money as he wanted...instead, he served the U.S. military and became a Lieutenant. Deployed to Iraq. Awarded multiple medals and received an honorable discharge.
    *Opted not to receive his congressional pension.
    *Pardoned the Groveland Four.
    *Co-sponsored Kate's Law to increase penalties for repeated unlawful entries into the U.S. after being deported.
    *Modified the FSA.
    *Expanded the availability of Spanish-language ballots to assist Floridians in exercising their right to vote.
    *Reduced the state's unemployment rate far below that of the national average.
    *Signed HB1557. Prohibits talk regarding sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity in classrooms from Kindergarten to 3rd grade. Given the age group being ages 5-8, this is extremely reasonable. Excluded from the act are courses pertaining to biology and reproductive health (also very reasonable).
    *Won the 2022 gubernatorial election in a landslide of 59-40%; this includes traditionally blue counties like Palm Beach and Miami Dade. This is a textbook example of a Centrist who crosses party lines, not a right wing dictator.
    *Signed the FL constitutional carry bill. Nervous? Criminals have been doing this illegally for decades without us knowing!
    *Signed Senate Bill 450 that allows juries to impose a death sentence if at least 8/12 jurors agree, after the Parkland School Shooter was given life in prison.
    *Signed a law allowing the death penalty for those convicted of child rape.

Ronald Dion DeSantis is my hero. As I said, everyone will get my respect 100%, unless he chooses to lose it.

In his case, he has 100% earned it.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2023
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. Sohogator

Aug 22, 2012
    Lots of people like corrupt, fascist, racist bigots. As a group they’re known as GOP voters.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    I feel sorry for you if that man is your hero. Perhaps you are willfully blind to the hatred and bigotry that he routinely demonstrates and the number of people he has hurt to settle his petty grievances, not to mention the sheer number of laws he has passed that hurt the citizens of Florida all to reward his patrons. Thankfully, many of them are being found unconstitutional by the courts as they work their way into the federal system. The Florida election is not an example of him being a centrist but an example of the national democratic party abandoning the state and the state party being dysfunctional. Your post reads like praise from the Jonestown community right before they drank the koolaid. Teachers quitting leading to teacher shortages, migrants leaving the state so labor shortages getting worse, OBGYN's leaving the state so the women in your life will have an increasingly hard time finding healthcare,... I could go on but there are none so blind as those that refuse to see. Good thing is the nation has seen him for what he is and he will go no further and is termed out in Florida.

• Like x 3
    • Winner x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  7. rock8591

rock8591 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The PEOPLE of Florida beg to differ with you. People are moving here, not leaving. The masses are voting for him, not against him.

Those who nitpick at his perceived faults are unhappy with their own inadequacies.

• Funny x 4
    • Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
    • Creative x 1
  8. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    While this is a positive thing, the Groveland Four all died before the pardon, so he didn't free any innocent people from prison.

That law doesn't prohibit talk about sex. It prohibits discussion of sexual orientation or gender identity. And due to DeSantis, it prohibits it through 12th grade. Nothing reasonable about it.

One of my family members is as pro-gun as they come. He's retired federal law enforcement and spent many years instructing federal agents how to shoot. He vociferously opposed permitless carry. It will make things more dangerous for police officers. It will lead to more gun crime. And it will lead to more gun deaths.

Florida is #1 in the nation in people exonerated from death row over the past 50ish years. In fact, the two of the three surviving members of the Groveland Four were sentenced to death before the Supreme Court overturned their sentences. (One was sentenced to death again, with the governor of the state commuting his sentence to life. The other was murdered by a cop before he could be retried.)

You're touting as an accomplishment lowering the threshold needed to impose the death penalty. This will lead to more innocent people being sentenced to death. So much for learning from the legacy of the Groveland Four. And the fact that the Parkland shooter was given life is of no consequence to me. He'll die in prison. What's the difference?

Don't just take it from me. Take it from Herman Lindsey, an innocent man sent to death row by an 8-4 vote in Florida:
    FL death row exoneree opposes death penalty measure — more innocent people will go to death row

A law that is unconstitutional. What this law does is encourages child rapists to kill their victims because they are already facing the death penalty.
    Kennedy v. Louisiana - Wikipedia

You really seem to love unconstitutional laws and the death penalty, so I'm not surprised DeSantis is your hero.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2023
    • Winner x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
  9. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Nah, we're unhappy with bigoted buffoons attacking our free speech and democratic rights. But feel free to continue with your far-right lovefest.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Sohogator

Aug 22, 2012
    he’s not eligible to run again in Florida which he good for him because his net favorability has collapsed among non assholes.

Ron DeSantis' approval rating has collapsed

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    People have been moving here long before desi and will continue to do so as long as we have warm winters, beaches, no state income tax. I am a person in Florida and me, and my entire family, loathe the man and his goal of forcing a relugious right agenda on the state. One daughter has left (one less physical therapist to make your wait longer) and the other has decided not to pursue teaching here in the state.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    peeps love their BIG GOV.

13. rock8591

rock8591 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    You confuse me with Robert Kraft. Which I never claimed to be. :D

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  14. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    There are worse things to be than a billionaire who likes a happy ending. ;)

15. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    it doesn't require a doctorate degree to get a handy but it does to be a physical therapist. hopefully you never need one and insult them like that but it should be expected from someone who thinks desi is a hero

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  16. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You don’t have my respect.

• Agree Agree x 6
  17. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    You ever notice how people who love vile right wing politicians really want to see a lot of people killed as a matter of public policy?

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Can you list his failures as well?

19. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Nobody is confusing you with Robert Kraft.

20. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Not enough space, although to be fair, he losted a host of his failures which he sees as positives.