Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What's happening in DeSantistan 2.0

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator_lawyer, Jun 9, 2023.

1. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Drag ban enjoined

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. dynogator

dynogator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    I especially liked this part:

"Presnell also said the law clashes with another DeSantis priority — the “Parents’ Bill of Rights” — because it allows the state to decide what performances children can attend, rather than leaving that choice up to parents. He added that existing obscenity laws already protect children from “any constitutionally unprotected obscene exhibitions or shows.”

• Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Apparently, homeless people and drug addicts are now "woke." DeSantis is such a clown. Everything DeSantis doesn't like is "woke." I'm waiting for him to rant about "woke" rush hour traffic, "woke" lines at the DMV, and the neighbor's "woke" dogs who keep pooping on his lawn.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    That’s the “Big Liberal city bad” argument. It’s code. Apparently ignoring the Oxy problem and higher crime rates all through red America. Everything this guy does is to galvanize the base of white bigots who predominate in the GOP. It is plain from his hate filled. Autocratic anti-free speech agenda. And his hate filled and illegal laws are found to be illegal, he will shift to advocacy of more extreme right wing Judges like he has appointed in Florida.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    https://supremecourt.flcourts.gov/content/download/871540/opinion/sc2023-0247.pdf This opinion is an embarrassment and dangerous to democracy. That the courts in Florida will allow a governor to remove an elected official because of his political views is shameful. Their critique of the federal judge’s interpretation of what neglect of duty is should embarrass them. And their adoption of a “too late” doctrine that is not tethered to any recognized legal principles is weak. This is the ilk of judges he wants to appoint to the federal bench.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Another opinion on the Medicaid law. The decisions are starting to roll on now in DeSantis’ illegal agenda. More to come when his anti-immigration laws are stuck down as violative of supremacy and the full faith and credit laws. And there will be more. The sad part is that we are spending all this money to defend laws passed that DeSantis knows are illegal to Appeal to his base who hate this who he has targeted

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    When Trump accepted the 2016 GOP nomination, his theme was “I am your voice.” He gave voice to these people to come out of the closet. And there are a lot more of them than you want to admit. They win GOP nominations all over the country and get elected, particularly in the South and rural districts. The politicians would not engage in this behavior of their base did not believe these things. Hate, ignorance and bigotry even overcome financial interest for many of these people.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It was such a hack opinion, embarrassing to sign one’s name too. The current FSC goes beyond even normal FedSoc hackers. The Times exposed how silly they were. Instead of just saying the only remedy is the Senate, a defensible if harsh argument, they went on to give an extralegal opinion on the honor and impartiality of the Florida Senate asa review body for removals, which the Times noted is not supported by recent history

Not only was DeSantis’ claim not true, Hinkle wrote, “This factual issue is not close.” Warren has appealed Hinkle’s ruling.

Justices wrote that Warren still has one option for reinstatement: going to the Florida Senate for a trial.
    There is no reason to doubt that the elected members comprising that legislative body will ‘be just’ in carrying out their ‘solemn duty,’” justices wrote.

Republicans have a supermajority in the Senate, a body that has bent to DeSantis’ will since he took office in 2019.
    That year, the Senate also took up DeSantis’ decision to suspend Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel following the Feb. 14, 2018, shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

DeSantis laid out 10 claims against Israel, and the Senate hired an independent arbiter to hold a trial and review the governor’s claims. The special master, Dudley Goodlette, concluded the governor didn’t prove a single one. Senators, voting largely along party lines, chose to remove Israel anyway, setting an expansive new precedent in the process.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Maybe off-topic, in another post I said that there is no truth in Truth Social, no news in Fox News, and I would add no advocacy for freedom from the Faith and Freedom Coalition.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. dynogator

dynogator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    "Woke," humidity. This is fun. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I love San Francisco, but if any of you have contact with DeSantis, could you please find out for me what street he was on in San Francisco so I can avoid it? Thanks.

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Canady was a Republican politician. He has always been an unabashed hack. And then basically all the rest except Labarga are DeSantis cronies. Barring a citizens' ballot initiative, the Fla. S. Ct. will be a cesspool of right-wing hackery for the next 30 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Warren should have sought damages in federal court. Classic 1983 free speech violation with no qualified immunity and easy proof of public policy. For saying he would not prosecute cases declared unconstitutional under the Florida constitution.

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Florida is a right wing cesspool and it’s going to get worse

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    How did he know people were using fentanyl? Smoking crack? Did he walk up and ask 'em "hey, whatcha smokin?"

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    I drop by this thread every now and then when I need a laugh. This thread is always good for a laugh at expense of the whiny ass posters that frequent this thread.

17. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Glad we can provide a laugh while you're picking up your hood and robe from the dry cleaners.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  18. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Kindness? I'd settle for no overt hatred.

I guess it's the next best thing if you can't go out and find some transgender people to torment in person.

These people aren't harming you, they aren't trying to touch you, they damn sure aren't trying to groom you....they don't really impact your life one iota. If they want to have a parade once a year, stay home. But staying home isn't enough. You have to actively hate these people without even knowing them simply because they are different. Hell, they don't even walk on your lawn, but still you hate. You would have to go out and actively seek them out to even encounter one, yet you hate.

What were you like growing up to kids in school that were smaller than you, didn't wear as nice clothes as you or were provided with free lunches?

Or, maybe you were that kid and you never stopped being angry for being picked on?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2023
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    "Former Maryland GOP Governor Larry Hogan has poured cold water on Ron DeSantis' hopes of being president, saying his campaign is one of the "worst he has ever seen" and predicting a swift end to his bid.

"Hogan said he believes DeSantis has underperformed and has essentially "dropped like a rock" in the Republican leadership race."

"DeSantis had a net approval rating of negative 19 points, with an average of 55 percent of respondents disapproving of him, compared to 36 percent who had a favorable view of the Republican."

"I think it is getting close to being over [for DeSantis]," Hogan said as he reflected on the governor's chances going forward.

Ron DeSantis campaign 'close to being over'—Ex-GOP governor

The more sensible people get to know Ron DeSantis, the less they like him.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  20. littlebluelw

littlebluelw GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    internet wanna be tough guy.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1