Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What's a record-breaking moment you witnessed in real time?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatormonk, Feb 23, 2024.

1. Rkb75

Rkb75 Senior

Sep 19, 2015
    Lots of good ones here. Did see several of those, plus “mini Tebow” Frosh Trey Burton scoring 6 TDs vs Ky in 2010.

• Like Like x 3
  2. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    I saw 1/2 of one. Mike Brown of the Bears had pick 6's in overtime in back to back games in 2001. I was at the first one with SF visiting Soldier Field.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    My parents took me to the first ever regular season mlb game on the west coast—SF Giants vs LA Dodgers at Seals Stadium April 15, 1958. I even got to skip school

• Like Like x 4
  4. I saw Henry Aaron’s #715. It was an amazing night in Atlanta. I was in club level 3rd base line

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. StrengthAndHonor

StrengthAndHonor Senior

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa Bay area
    Bill had an unofficial time of 218 that year at Talladega. Restrictor plates and pack racing that soon followed ruined the sport imo.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

NASCAR's rule book was, and still is dictated by GM money. Their restrictor plates were all about slowing down that 9 car - nothing else.

It all started with Elliott's qualifying record of 212.9 mph at Talladega in 1987. After Bobby Allison wrecked at Talladega so bad in the same race (and Davey Allison won in the #28 Thunderbird), out came the restrictor plate rule. Never mind that the Thunderbirds were rock stable at over 200 MPH -- the entire problem was the new GM bodies, in which they took new front-wheel-drive cars like the Buick driven by Bobby Allison, and made rear-wheel-drive "stock cars" out of them. I watched that wreck right in front of me, and that Buick funny car blew around like a styrofoam cup in the wind. But rather than address the stability problems with the new GM cars, they took the opportunity to just slow down the entire field, essentially negating the speed and power advantages the Fords had.

You are right - restrictor plates essentially ruined the sport. Even now, they could take the plates off and slow down the cars aerodynamically, making them more stable in the process with more downforce. But then the Fords would run away with it again because they make more horsepower - always have. And NASCAR will never allow that to happen. They're much happier with Chevie winning something like 25 of the past 24 manufacturing championships. Still a great sport to watch, and Ford drivers have won the driver championship the past 2 years in spite of NASCAR's silly rules -- but the rules will always be rigged to help the GM teams.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 3
  7. Saukuf

Saukuf Freshman

Dec 11, 2010
    Lake Sinclair GA
    0-10-1
    Go Gators in all kinds of weather.....

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. incoldblood

incoldblood GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2016
    Emmitt’s record 316 rushing yards vs New Mexico in 1989 on an unusually chilly Gainesville October day. He also broke other UF records that day, among them career rushing yards and tds in a season, and likely others I can’t remember.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Adding one more. I was apparently at the Bucs game where Jan Stenerud broke George Banda's all time FG record when Green Bay beat Tampa 12-9 in overtime In 1983. I remember the game, but had no idea he set the record.

Was You Tubing old games that I attended as a kid and stumbled across that one. Stupid Bill Capece missed an extra point that cost the Bics the win in regulation.

• Like Like x 1
  10. original zin

original zin Junior

Oct 6, 2017
    Florida
    Capece is kaput - John Mckay Bucs hc.

11. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I grew up in the big city, so i didn't have much Gator exposure as a youngster. I would often go up to Yankee Stadium by subway with my friends ( about an hour and half ) and sit in the general admission seats. ($1.25). Memorable moments were opening day 1967 against the Red Sox. Carl Yazstremski made "the catch". I found a video on Youtube.

The Red Sox pitcher Rohr was pitching a no hitter the day of the catch. In the 9th inning, the last batter was Elston Howard, who went to 3 and 2, 2 outs, bottom of the 9th.. Next pitch Howard hit a single up the middle to break the no hitter. Next batter made out.

I also saw Mickey Mantle hit one of his longest home runs 500'+ in center over the 30' screen on top of the fence. We were sitting in the upper deck right field. When he first hit it, the ball was so high it looked like a pop. The fence at the point where it went out was 460'. The center fielder was few feet from the fence when it went out, so he he had a lot of time to run back as the ball came down from the stratosphere.

Going to the gators in 1996, i saw the gators crush LSU with about 6 different players scoring a TD. Favorite part of the games in those days was when Eugene Mccaslin came in as i knew SOS wasn't going to take his foot off the opponents throat. I really liked the way Mccaslin ran and he got a TD that day.

My morganna the kissing bandit story I'll save for another day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I came here to post this...
    I was there that night as well.

• Like Like x 2
  13. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    My brother-in-law played in that game. He was on offense, though, so, no flop.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    I saw Carl Crawford steal six bases in one game against the Red Sox at the Trop. I didn't realize until the next day that it was a record.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Saw her at Cheetahs in Windsor, Ontario. It was interesting

16. iwannaperfectseason

iwannaperfectseason All American

Dec 5, 2009
    I was at Texas Stadium on my birthday watching Emmitt break Walter Payton's rushing record in 2002. He needed 93 yards and ended up with 109.

I was there in Atlanta when the Gators notched their first and only perfect regular season with a victory over Arkansas. Fortunately, I missed the Nebraska fiasco and did see the live Semis thrashing for the NC the following year.

• Like Like x 4
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  17. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    You just missed Roy Jones by a decade

18. real_dpm

real_dpm Freshman

Sep 18, 2023
    I was there too, but could not for the life of me figure out why fans were chanting "WIIIIIIIIIIIILBUR". Of course he deserved to be celebrated, but why pronounce his name that way? Someone eventually told me about the '60s TV show "Mister Ed".

• Funny Funny x 4
  19. real_dpm

real_dpm Freshman

Sep 18, 2023
    I loathe the announcers for telling us how disgusted they are with Spikes for that . . . "just downright selfish". As in, the announcers who were being paid $$$$ due entirely to the efforts of the players on the field who weren't being paid at all. Fscking hypocrites.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

They don’t like us

• Agree Agree x 1