Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What's a record-breaking moment you witnessed in real time?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatormonk, Feb 23, 2024.

1. GatorTWayne

GatorTWayne GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    Tonight when the Orlando Solar Bears set the record for most aloha shirts at an event. I doubt it lasts long.

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I was at a high school state playoff football game and the visiting team featured Emmitt Smith at RB. Every time he touched the ball in the first half he got a first down up to about 2 minutes left in the second quarter. Then on 1st and 10 Emmitt went sweep left and only picked up 8 yards. The home fans stood up to applaud their defense for holding Emmitt to only 8 yards and a second down. Weirdest football moment I can remember.

• Funny Funny x 4
  3. CadGator

CadGator All American

Nov 17, 2008
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    A God given talent for sure.
    An ability so pure and graceful it almost felt like you could touch it.
    The same way it felt watching Ken Griffey Jr swing a bat.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. CadGator

CadGator All American

Nov 17, 2008
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Had it been implemented before 1995 we would have beat FSU by a score of 42-24 instead of 35-24.
    Doeing's catch was a touchdown.

• Like Like x 1
  5. CadGator

CadGator All American

Nov 17, 2008
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    The undisputed greatest NASCAR driver!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. CadGator

CadGator All American

Nov 17, 2008
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    SOS was/is the best Gator
    I remember watching the highlight show after that game and after either a field goal or extra point we had the ball bounced and hit the Bulldog Statue behind the end zone on the head. SOS got the most excited commented "And Watch How The Ball Hits RIGHT THERE"!!! Classic Spurrier.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. gatorpjb

gatorpjb All American

Jan 1, 2021
    Lithia, Florida
    I was at the 1975 Florida Relays when David Roberts set a new World Record in the pole vault 18’ 61/4”.

In those days you had more access to the different areas of competition, so my buddy from Tampa Fire and I got a close up view of the record breaking vault.

Lot of world class track and field athletes wandering around Percy Beard back then (not to mention the future Gator football greats ) and through the years since.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. secondguesser

secondguesser Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    1969 Opening game. UF vs University of Houston(picked by many to win NC). Super sophs: John Reaves, Tommy "Touchdown" Durrance, Carlos "The Cuban Comet" Alvarez. Third play, Reaves to Alvarez, 70 yards. I don't care how much smaller the stadium was, it was as loud as I've ever heard. Of course I was only 9. First game. I've been hooked ever since.

1993 Kentucky miracle. "Doering's got a touchdown." Arrival of Danny Wuerffel.

Tebow's last home game against FSU. Never seen as many camera flashes as were in last few minutes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Me too. A glorious day indeed. Did you join in the Gators for Goff demonstration outside the stadium before the game?

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

David Pearson actually beat King Richard in head-to-head competition

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Kirby

Kirby GC Legend

Sep 14, 2009
    Rocket City
    I saw Bill Elliott come back from over 1.5 laps down under a green flag to win at Talledega (Winston 500) in 1985.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. gbranton

gbranton GC Legend

Sep 3, 2023
    Huntsville, AL
    I was at Talladega in 1987 when Bill qualified at 212.809 (the all-time NASCAR qualifying record) and Bobby Allison went airborne and took out 100+ feet of catch fence, red flagging the race for over two hours. This was the last superspeedway race of the era without restrictor plates, due in large part to Allison’s crash, which occurred just past where we were sitting.

I was also there in 1985 when he went down by nearly two laps due to an early pit stop for a loose oil line and watched him make up the two laps under green and go on to win by nearly two seconds, averaging 186.288 mph over 500 miles (including pit stops), which was a record for a number of years.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. gbranton

gbranton GC Legend

Sep 3, 2023
    Huntsville, AL
    Richard Petty’s 200 wins is one of the most overinflated records in all of sports. Many of those wins came at a time when NASCAR sanctioned races at tracks all over the country, many of which were at tiny local tracks and running three so-called NASCAR events per week. One of his so-called “major series” wins came in 1962 here in Huntsville, AL at our local quarter mile track against dudes who worked day jobs and built their car in their garage. He showed up with factory sponsorship and a built car in a semi truck and raced against guys who towed their car to the track behind a pickup truck. Other times he won such races by multiple laps or came from multiple laps down after flat tires and whatnot to win races, which happens not because you are the best driver, but because you have a car that is leagues beyond what your competition has, there was no parity in those days like there is today (think Bear Bryant). I get a real kick out of watching failed driver Kyle Petty try to poke holes in Kyle Busch’s 200+ wins in trucks, Xfinity and Cup by saying that the truck and Xfinity wins were like playing in the minor leagues when those races were far, FAR away more more competitive than many of Petty’s 200.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  14. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Watched that on TV. What an awesome team they were. Secret cylinder head technology and they didn’t share that with anyone. I’m pretty sure he made up 2 full laps under green - and without the benefit of even one caution flag!

NASCAR in their typical way decided they couldn’t allow one car to be so dominant (especially a Ford), and put an end to their reign

15. EvenParGator

EvenParGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    I was fortunate enough to have been at the '96 Olympics in Atlanta for the 200 meter final with Michael Johnson running 19.32! My Dad and I were so close to the track on the curve that we could hear their spikes on the track! The fastest a human being had ever run to that point in time!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I agree with what you say here.
    Richard Petty was and still is a great ambassador for the sport, and I respect him for sure. I was also in the stands at Daytona for Petty’s 200th win. But David Pearson was actually the better driver and beat Richard more than once on his craftiness and instincts.

Pearson never ran a full race schedule and only raced 42 or more races 3 times — and won the championship all 3 times. The Silver Fox — RIP David Pearson

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I was at that race too. Davey Allison win his first race in the 28 car after that 3 hour red flag to repair the fence Bobby Allison tore up. We were across from the entrance to pit road, and when Bobby wrecked he was heading through the trioval — that Buick lifted off and flew through the air like a styrofoam cup in the wind.

Funny thing with that long red flag — grandstands packed with people who had nothing to do for 3 hours except drink beer in the hot sun. You’d see groups of people suddenly stand up and cheer - and I couldn’t see what was going on until it happened close to us — random women were standing up and showing their tits to the crowd around them. That place was crazy that day

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I was at a Snowball Derby where Bobby Allison wrecked Cale Yarborough and Cale started punching him through his window.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. original zin

original zin Junior

Oct 6, 2017
    Florida
    Here is a funny memory that involves David Pearson.

My father, future wife and I were sitting on the pit wall way after a race. The Wood Brothers are packing up a truck right by us. Dad gives my wife an advertising card of Pearson’s new non Wood Brother team, Chattanooga Chew, and told my wife to go get Delano Wood’s autograph. He looked at her and said “are you putting me on”. He saw us giggling and caught on. He smiled, waved and signed the card. Just one of my great Daytona memories.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Gatorborn

Gatorborn GC Legend

Jul 11, 2014
    South Carolina
    I was at that one too....don't remember seeing you there...lol.

I also recall sitting there thinking how will they turn this venue into a baseball stadium, the next year I went to my first game at Turner Field and was blown away.

Also saw a US basketball game, Barkley dominated!

• Like Like x 2