Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

WHAT Will/Needs TO HAPPEN IN YEAR THREE!

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by doctorg8r, Jan 11, 2024.

1. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Calm down....Billy's getting his year 3. What he does with it and his future is mostly up to him.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. burtjeffson

burtjeffson Freshman

Jan 11, 2024
    so many false/misleading claims all rolled into one - let's start from the top:

1. "dumpster fire" is how every offseason looks for every team now, and so far BN's recruiting has been ranked almost exactly where DM was ranked

2. using what is said in pressers is dubious - talk is cheap, who cares what he says (or rather, verbally dances around) at the microphone?

3. ever heard of fireronzook.com? it was literally the first internet campaign against a sitting coach

4. harbaugh went 10-3 his first 2 years, his only losing season was 2-4 in pandemic 2020. dabo has had 1 bad year at climpson and it's actually equal to BN's best year at UF (6-7) - so not only are these bad comps, but you are arguing in bad faith by not using data and just naming people

5. this is the only solid argument that you have, and unfortunately it's because BN sounds like lyle allen "butch" jones when he personally and specifically boofs the ending and loses an SEC game and then talks about how "it's been a good week for a lot of reasons"

again, this is a chat forum. nobody on their keyboards mashing away on this site has anything to do with recruiting, especially in the NIL era. folks can just use their eyes and watch us lose to Arky because BN can't process information fast enough, they can turn on any sports analysis on TV or the internet and only hear negative when they hear about the Gators.

you can "smfh" or do whatever you want to do with your head on this board, don't worry - it doesn't matter a hill of beans in the real world.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    You might want to tweak your comparisons:

Smart won the SEC championship in his second year....please point out the fanbase that would run off such a coach that had done that and was recruiting the top 1 or 2 class every year?

Additionally, I'm not sure comparing us to the UT model is a good argument unless you can tell me which of the following coaches you think UT should have hung on to:

Derek Dooley
    Butch Jones
    Jeremy Pruitt

Don't forget that the Lane train left them at the altar, not the other way around.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    The 3 coaches you listed were a combined 56-25 .691 in their first 2 seasons. Napier is 11-14 .440. I would hope I don't have to actually say anything else as to why the chosen comparisons are terrible.

So, lets ask the same question with some other comps that are closer.

Willie Taggert 9-12? Didn't even make it to year 3, I would say his replacement has done pretty good, of course that changed quite a bit in the last 24hrs.
    Brian Harsin 9-12? Also, 2 years and out. Jury still out on Freeze.
    Jeremy Pruitt 13-12? I believe you would be hard pressed to find a Vol fan who would take him over Huepel.
    Matt Luke 11-13? Forgot this guy even existed between Kiffen and Freeze.
    Jedd Fisch 6-18? Here's one that you should have used. 10-3 year 3 and is top 10 in the ESPN too early preseason poll for 24. UF alum for those that don't know.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. gatorwalrus

Sep 24, 2022
    Every player I listed except Ewers (TBD) was at, or will be at, the school they transferred to for 3 years or less. That would be the same or less than the BN tenure barring a firing that 100% will not happen, outside some extraordinary circumstances, before the season.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Agreed. Here come the disagree bacons. It was not too long ago when sports fans were criticizing Florida’s culture of winning on the field despite the off-field issues. It sucks losing football games but it sucks more when your alma mater or favorite team is known for off-field issues. Somehow the previous coaches allowed the culture and foundation of the program to rot. If Napier cannot get it done, the next athletic director and head coach will at least have a better foundation to build upon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    With the schedule, if we go 6-6 BN should be SEC coach of the year. The schedule is likely to doom BN

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    “1."dumpster fire" is how every offseason looks for every team now, and so far BN's recruiting has been ranked almost exactly where DM was ranked”

Was Napier brought in to recruit almost exactly like Mullen ?

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    I miss the days when other schools saw UF on the schedule and penciled it in as an automatic loss.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I posted pretty much the same and was countered with "6 - 6 is not the Gator Standard" (Whatever the hell that actually means).
    I haven't done the analysis yet but by my way of thinking the only truly 'accurate" way to measure the "Gator Standard" is count
    every win and loss since the inception of football and come up with "reality". Not just factoring the Spurrier or Meyer eras.

Based on that, I would be quite shocked if the "real" Gator standard is even 7 wins.

Anyone can "cherry-pick" a certain era to come up with a Gator Standard, but for my money, the true measure is to look at the historical facts
    of the won loss record in total.

Back on topic, my hope is 6 - 6 and a bowl invite. I think anything less means coach may not be around for season #4. I like Napier,
    but he's already on the hot seat. Gator Nation does not want a 4th consecutive losing season and your right, given the schedule,
    by my own personal opinion, 6 - 6 and a bowl invite will suggest some improvement and hope for the future.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    I know some on these boards don't like Jeremy Foley, but it was under his tenure that Gator athletics was elevated to elite status, where we started winning conference and national titles across our athletics programs on a regular basis. We're the ONLY D1 school who has been in the Top 10 of the Director's Cup standings ever since since its inception and normally we're in the Top 5. That's the Gator standard I think most of us are considering. For the last 30+ years or so, the Gator standard has been that all of our sports teams are consistently in the hunt for an SEC title, thereby making us a regular national contender. Football and basketball are no longer living up to that standard and I think that's what has many people frustrated and concerned. How we can back there in our 2 major sports is the thing that we're all arguing about, but I think all of us want the same thing.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. ufstrong57

ufstrong57 Junior

Nov 13, 2023
    I think it says this college won't tolerate underperforming coach. We are not about mediocrity, we are not about being in the middle of the pack in the SEC, we are not a school that tolerates failing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. gatorwalrus

Sep 24, 2022
    No UF coach (not counting interim) has had a sub .500 record for their tenure in the past 73 years. So, I would say .500 is the MINIMUM, let alone the standard.

Since 1950: 565-287-17 overall, 65% win %. Would be 7.8 wins a year for 12 game seasons. Since we are so demanding, lets round that up to 8-4. I think that is a reasonable standard. How about we hear the arguments as to why given the resources available that standard is unrealistic?

Addendum: .623 in the SEC, which is 5 wins a year in SEC play in same time frame. BN has 6 in 2 seasons. He could go 8-0 in 2024 and still be short of the average.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  14. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We've tolerated 13-14 years of sub-par performance as can be seen by the outcomes since Urban left. So whatever you are saying about not tolerating underperformance doesnt match reality. With CBN IMO the idea was instead of remodel let's rebuild, devote the resources, and get off the hamster wheel of coaching turnover. As fans it's a tough process to go through this but we need to let him finish what he started. If it doesnt work out in the end we can get back on the 3 year hamster wheel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. ufstrong57

ufstrong57 Junior

Nov 13, 2023
    Take our last 3 failed coaches, did we really want to leave them be and if so where would we be? Muschamp - who got fired from usce? Mac - who is just so so at a smaller school and who fakes death threats. Mullen - who has no real interest in recruiting and who probably rather be an OC in the NFL. Is UF supposed to keep such coaches who turn out to be duds? Or find a coach that actually is good?
    I think UF has given coaches enough time to see if they are worth keeping. BN gets another year to prove himself as in hey win more than you lose.
    If this merry go round has shown us anything it's with the AD in both selecting and giving away the bank to basically projects. Maybe next time use incentive based rewards on top of a base pay.
    I hear the argument of we won't get anybody we really want with that approach. Has the approach we've been on working? No.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. gatorwalrus

Sep 24, 2022
    What tangible results are superior to the 3 year hamster wheel from Billy Napier?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    No doubt UF has disappointed the last 4 years. Nor do I think 6 - 6 is much to write home about, however given where the program is, if UF could at least make a bowl, (6 wins) given the schedule, the fan base may see it as a sign of improvement.

I am like everybody else, I want UF to compete for the SEC East, the SEC Championship and to become a playoff contender.

I am on the fence now regarding Billy. 14 losses in two years has "spent" UF's patience. A corner needs to be turned, improvement seen, wins added.
    Numerous posters have "seen enough" already. I'm not sure that is fair, but very little is "fair" in College Football.

Hopefully, Mertz, DJ, player maturation, and the transfer portal all add up to a better squad next year. The old "give em at least 4 years" has morphed into 3 it seems.
    Well Billy is headed into season 3. I want it to work out!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    If (key word) BN is doomed, it won’t be due to the that schedule, BN will be doomed due to BN. He should’ve done more the first 2 seasons, imho, then the daunting 24 schedule would not be so daunting and would not be such a potential pivotal factor in his future here. Billy is an operations process guy, not a field general, again imho. He needs and should’ve hired high quality experienced coordinators on both sides of the ball. That’s exactly what the very best in the business that just retired this week always did. Even though he was a defensive wizard, he still had a really good DC running it. Billy has no one to blame but Billy.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
  19. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Well this is the bottom line now isn't it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I don't disagree that the buck should still "stop" with the head coach. Billy, the way I see it, has one more pre-season guaranteed. I'm not sure he is guaranteed
    anything beyond the first few games of the 24 regular season. UF is currently on a 5 game losing streak. A poor start to 24 may very well get him canned sooner rather than later.

I hope it works out. We will find out in the fall.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1