Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What will it take for DJ to be named the starter for the remainder of the year or at least aTm?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorfan828, Sep 5, 2024.

1. gatorfan828

gatorfan828 Sophomore

Dec 8, 2016
    Orlando, Florida
    To be named the starter for the remainder of the year or at least the Texas A&M game?

I fully expect Lagway to have a good game against Samford. I think they will gameplan enough for him to have some easy reads, and hopefully we are getting open on some deep balls. I think he will have a good day.

However, I still will be shocked to see BN keeping Mertz out if he is healthy.

So realistically, what would it take on Saturday for DJ to completely take the job from Mertz?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    First, he needs a "magical" game against Samford. I predict that Napier and Co (if there is one) will play it close to the vest instead of letting him make mistakes against a weak team. And then the defense has to effectively shut Samford out. If they are pissed then that is possible.

I don't expect Lagway would be the starter against aTm but he could easily be considered the long reliever who is warming up in the bullpen. And then he can easily be the starter for the remainder of the season if he shows better than Mertz.

But no play calls for Lagway until Mertz was injured is pretty damning as to what Napier is wired to do.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  3. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    DJ will get all of Samford. If Mertz is healthy he will get A&M. However, if he has another crappy game then I think DJ comes in and if the offense clicks under DJ then I think it's DJ's job for the rest of the season.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  4. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    I like the thought, and the premise of the question. And if it weren't for Billy's stubbornness, a brilliant performance by DJ might have some real impact. Unfortunately, I don't believe BN's going to bench Mertz for good, no matter what DJ does. That level of flexibility and bold decision making would surprise the absolute hell out me, coming from BN. On the bright side, I've been wrong before - recently. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. gatorfan828

gatorfan828 Sophomore

Dec 8, 2016
    Orlando, Florida
    That is what I think will happen. I think we try to make it simple and just let DJ get his feet wet. Not forcing him into anything. But.... the fans want to see some fireworks. I think we need some style points, so how do we do that while also keeping it conservative with DJ?

6. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Running all over the place and taking advantage of a week defense definitely will not do it nor will hitting wide-open receivers down the field. He’s got to show that he can throw from the pocket and make high-level throws that Mertz has not been making.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    He started Waites at right tackle. He looked just like he did in the bowl game a couple years ago. I just can’t imagine that out of the 12 or 14 offensive lineman that we don’t have that somebody cannot do better than that. I don’t like to be down on a kid, but it just looks like he does not belong out there.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. lerxst6

lerxst6 GC Legend

Apr 11, 2007
    Naples
    If we are going to have as lousy of a season as Miami game showed … getting Lagway as many reps as possible is the best thing to build for future.

BN would probably benefit in that it will likely be “more exciting” offense to watch and build a case for keeping him another year.

So even if we still stink, fans will have something to be excited about.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    Mertz retires or enters the transfer portal, that is the only way.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    Still listed as an "or" starter... people need to accapet this guy doesn't see anything wrong with what he is doing or his decision making, so we will continue to see the same mistakes until he is no longer employed.

11. benton_quest

benton_quest Sophomore

Nov 7, 2023
    If DJ has a great game Sat, I see Mertz' protocol getting "extended" a week to see what Lags can do against a team with a pulse. No QB controversy that way.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. magnafides

magnafides GC Hall of Fame

Aug 1, 2009
    South Florida
    I don't think Billy would do that, mainly because it's his nature to play Mertz if available. But even then, artificially keeping Mertz off of the depth chart would mean that we're one Kam-Waites-missed-block away from Clay Millen taking snaps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gatorfan828

gatorfan828 Sophomore

Dec 8, 2016
    Orlando, Florida
    I think that is what is happening this week. I know concussions are serious, but most of the time we see players come back the next week. It makes sense not to risk anything since we are playing Samford, but if it was A&M this week, I strongly believe Mertz would be playing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    He lights it up Saturday...and
    [​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    Mayo, FL
    If DJ balls-out I see a scenario where he gets one or two possessions per half A&M game. With it possibly growing from there. If Mertz is healthy any game I think he’ll be the starter the rest of the season.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Agator88

Agator88 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 7, 2014
    I expected DJ to get a series or two against Miami, but it looked like that wasn't the plan at all and he would not have played if not for the injury to Mertz. So that leads me to believe when Mertz is ready to go, he will be the starter again. Maybe we see DJ a series or two against A&M, or if Mertz just stinks you may go to DJ against A&M.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    Have you seen this defense play the last few years?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    If DJ defies the conservative play calling and is responsible for 6-7 TD's this game it will be hard to keep him off the field against Tx Jr.

• Like Like x 1
  19. 06GATORS08

06GATORS08 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2009
    I doubt he starts against the Collie Cult. I hope he does but I doubt it

20. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    I don’t think the game versus Samford matters even a little, good or bad for Lagway. To see Lagway versus aTm, either Mertz does not recover in time or he gets hurt during the game. Nothing about Napier indicates he is willing to try something new unless he absolutely has to. Miami successfully game planned against on the basis of last year’s film.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 5