Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What role, if any, should the government have in regulating dog breeding?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by mrhansduck, Oct 10, 2024 at 5:14 PM.

1. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    I'm not exactly clear what this guy in Scotland is doing or if it's significantly worse what some other dog breeders around the world are doing. But it's purportedly resulting in lots of particularly unhealthy dogs.

I've seen dogs here that have all sorts of health problems that I suspect were largely related to breeding practices. Someone I know who got a miniature teacup yorkie at a charity auction comes to mind. I have wondered about regulations. Do we typically require licenses here? To what extent can/should we regulate this? I have no problem with people who like certain breeds and do it the right way, but this seems close to animal abuse.

Thoughts?

https://www.themirror.com/news/uk-news/twisted-dr-dna-brags-creating-740767

Gary Hemming, who has no veterinary qualifications, sparked outrage after his intensive breeding techniques created spotty pups that are a cross between the two breeds. He claimed he is creating the animals to satisfy growing demand for "designer dogs " despite calls for this practice to stop as pups are doomed to live short lives beset by illness.

Due to the growth of unethical breeding practices, the Scottish Government has announced a major legal crackdown that will outlaw unlicensed dog breeders like Hemming.

He claims his "Pokadot" factory has invented a "new breed" of spotted French bulldogs which he hopes to sell across the globe, according to the Daily Record. Hemming - who was previously exposed for producing genetically damaged Frankenstein pups in a BBC investigation - recently posted an online video of one miserable looking pup, with a distended belly. He claims the dog, "Mr Pokadot", will be the future of the new breed.

British Veterinary Association President Dr Elizabeth Mullineaux has told of her concern over breeders like Hemming. She said: "Vets across the UK are extremely concerned about a number of unscrupulous breeders ignoring the health and welfare of animals by cashing in on the huge demand for 'fashionable' puppy breeds that have been bred to have extreme features like excessive skin wrinkles or flat faces.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Making dogs suffer is a cruelty I won't abide.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Wish I had the answer. Not sure how it would be regulated enough to stop it or what parameters they would use to deem a particular cross breeding unethical. Do they stop cross breeding altogether? No more Pomskys? Doodles? How do you even correct the Frankensteins that exist like today's version of a pug or Frenchy?

Today's pug is almost unrecognizable from their ancestors.
    images.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 10, 2024 at 5:54 PM
  4. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Animal cruelty?

5. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    Thanks. Your point is part of what I was getting at. I feel like "I know it when I see it," but that doesn't seem like a workable standard either.

• Like Like x 2
  6. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
  7. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    It's awful but I don't know what to do about it. Just try to encourage adoption of rescue shelter dogs and try to decrease the demand for pure bred dogs. I've only ever had rescue dogs and they are the best dogs. It's win/win/win. You give a dog a badly needed good home, you get a great dog, and you don't pay hundreds or thousands of dollars for it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  8. ElimiGator

ElimiGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Jax
    Great example. English Bulldogs can't even give birth naturally. Golden Retrievers are known to develop cancer. Labradors as well, and prone to hip dysplasia. Yet these three examples are very popular dog breeds without regulation, just breed standards. If somebody wants it, somebody will make it. This guy obviously doesn't care about the quality of life he is creating. A lot of breeders don't. If anything, he should be charged with cruelty to animals but I don't know what role the government should have in pet breeding.

9. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Rescue dog owner here. That second part isn't always true. :(

10. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Very true. My sister in law decided to adopt an old "sweet" chihuahua based on a flyer at Pet Smart. Fast forward and he hates everyone (but thankfully is tootheless), refuses to be potty trained, and has caused her other animals to be stressed out. I love rescues but it isn't all peaches and cream.

11. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    The issue with so many of them is they spay/neuter them at too young of an age. This is for understandable reasons, but I think it messes with development of the animals, including brain development.

We have a 75 pound brindled mutt that is as sweet as can be in the house, but is completely and udderly afraid of everything in the world and that anxiety manifests in aggression.

We did all the appropriate socializing. Puppy play groups, beach and city walks, etc. Then at around 9 months, he just went cray cray.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Nothing is always true. But you can find a great dog at your local animal shelter.

13. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    100%

Don't mean to dissuade anyone from going that route. It's just a risk, but so is getting any dog from just about any where.

14. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    Cross breeding has been going on for hundreds of years. Today's breeds are due to someone in the past crossing breeds to obtain certain traits from each parent breed.

My Brittany named Spider is here today because a couple hundred years ago an English nobleman was invited to hunt pheasants in the Brittany region of France. The Englishman's dog of choice was a Pointer the French nobleman's dogs were French Spaniels. One of the English Pointers bread with a French Spaniel and the offspring turned out to be better bird dogs than either breed. Upon returning home the Englishman further bread them with other Pointers and Setters. The result was the Brittany Spaniel. Although a pure bred Brittany Spider dog owes her existence to cross breeding.

15. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Waaaay back on NYPD Blue Sipowicz got a lesson in how English Bulldogs are bred (manually, because they can’t do it themselves), and he said “I guess that’s what all the tail-wagging is about.”

• Funny Funny x 1