Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What is going to happen in this mid-term election?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator_fever, Oct 11, 2022.

1. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Legend

Nov 3, 2013

Curious what people think is going to happen in this election? I have my own ideas which aren't quite as rosy as some on the right but I think as usual you will see that many polls in these races are off in the last month. We will see if they correct many of them soon so they they don't have real big misses with many of their final polls.

• Like Like x 1
  2. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    Ask me after October the 14th

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The special election for the open seat in NY's 19th district could be telling. In most of the polls leading up to the election Molinaro, the Republican candidate who was also the County Executive of the largest country in the district was leading in most of the polls. Ryan the Democrat ended up winning. Molinaro focused on the economy while Ryan focused on the Dobbs decision overturning Roe v. Wade.
    Democrat Pat Ryan wins bellwether special election in New York’s Hudson Valley
    Marc Molinaro leads Pat Ryan in NY congressional race: poll
    Republican Dutchess County Executive Marc Molinaro leads Democrat Ulster County Executive Pat Ryan for Delgado’s vacated 19th congressional district seat 49.5% to 39.7% with about 11% undecided, according to the Triton Polling & Research survey conducted for Freedom Council USA.
    A survey released six weeks ago for the same independent, right-leaning GOP firm, Freedom Council USA, also had Molinaro leading Ryan among likely voters 51.6% to 38.4%

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Legend

Nov 3, 2013
    I will just say anyone thinking special elections might be predictive nationwide in 2022 might want to look at 2018. Sometimes polls get crazy with those and predicting turnout for each side can be very hard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

1. Welcome back.
    2. I'll tell uou what isn't going to be the deal the left wishes it was. Abortion.
    They need it yo take the attention away from the economy, but abortion just isnt a day to day issue for 99.9% of Americans, but gas and housing is.

How that translates in our polarized society, I have no idea, but my gut tells me it wont be a great day for the blue team.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    In before "COVID will go away in June 2020" comments.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Of course Ryan's team lied about Molinaros record on abortion which has actually been more moderate than the false ads depicted.

The dems are doing the same to Michael Lee here in NC. Lying in ads about him allowing exceptions for health and rape.

Its a desperation move to distract from what most Americans are worrying about daily.

8. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Legend

Nov 3, 2013
    Yep I think abortion only gets a few more Dems to the polls that might not have went otherwise. I think the vast majority of Indies don't have that as a priority. Grocery prices and Utilities are crushing many people now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    I haven't looked at polling lately. Seems people have been saying Rs will take House and the Senate will be close. I have no gut feelings or bases to believe I know what's going to happen any more than anyone else. The Democrats are obviously hoping the Supreme Court swing brings out a lot of new or less consistent voters. Republicans are hoping the voters blame Biden for gas prices and inflation. Historically, the party in the WH doesn't usually do well in midterms. If the Democrats were somehow able to hold the Senate, I would consider that a moral victory if not a practical one given that judicial appointments and impeachment trials happen in the Senate.

• Like Like x 1
  10. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The R's take the House and immediately disband the Jan 6 cmte. Then they start having hearings about Hunter Biden, that the Jan 6 cmte was formed in the first place, and introduce articles of impeachment on Joe Biden. The Senate? who knows. I don't see either party gaining a super majority.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    Gee, what a head scratcher. Pubs & dems will win, America will lose. Same policies, diff outrages.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
  12. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    By the way I still think that the Republicans will regain their majority in the House although not by a very large margin.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Legend

Nov 3, 2013
    I think they will get somewhere in the 230 area +/- 5 seats so 225 - 235. Right now I am leaning to Reps getting 51 in the Senate but want to see what happens the next few weeks.

14. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The Republicans are going to win.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    Any Repub that loses will claim voter fraud or that things were rigged

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    In the list of what’s most important to voters, I’ve noticed one that I’ve never seen before: Future of Democracy in the US. Take that and the reality that women make up a sizable majority of newly registered voters, and several Bozo candidates and I’d have to say I don’t have a clue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    As per usual

18. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    My guess

Democrats hold the senate, republicans narrowly take the house.

This really should have been a slam dunk for Republicans but between Dobbs and new abortion bans, Trumps continued idiocy and some horrifically bad Republican candidates it will likely generally split down the middle.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Not so sure on the abortion dynamic. It motivates more young voters to vote, who other wise may not, and is also going to pull some suburban soccer mom types who aren’t really keen on these nuts getting involved in their reproductive rights.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Legend

Nov 3, 2013
    Massive Red Wave? Another Democrat Group Abandons Key House Races

"Now, another Democrat spending group — the House Majority PAC — is doing the same in the latest bad sign for vulnerable Democrats who see their national support dry up in the final stretch of the campaign. The lack of funds for races that have been key to Democrats' 2022 plans comes as Republican groups have expanded the midterm election map significantly, spending money in a range of places where Democrats didn't plan to need defensive action."

"In races that are competitive for Democrats — ranked as "toss up" contests by the Cook Political Report — candidates in Biden's party are finding themselves without any outside help to keep their campaigns afloat and on the airwaves in the final days of the consequential election cycle as GOP groups spend heavily in attempts to expand the likely Republican"