Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What has happened to Kelby Collins

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by oneatatime, Sep 17, 2024.

1. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    3 Mullen Olinemen are starting for other teams.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  2. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    FSU can have Leonard. He looks the same there, which is not a complement. Harris hasn't looked great but better than Leonard. That was an upgrade for UF. Braun would be starting here and that took him decommitting when Pittman became coach for AR, where he ended up transferring to, so Mullen/Hevesy got us a short rental. Mincey could be starting. I liked his athleticism for an OT. The biggest deficiency in recruiting with this coaching staff has been OT. We can't pretend though that Mullen was nails recruiting OL.

3. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Sorry, I was wrong...4 Mullen OL starting for other teams. I forgot about Mincey. Tarquin is at Oklahoma.

Your point is correct that none were lights out, but given the sorry state of our OL, at least a couple might still be starters here, and the others could provide experienced depth.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    to be fair, 4 other Mullen o linemen are starting elsewhere- Leonard, Mincey, Tarquin and Braun. Not stars (though Braun does well) but that would make 6 Mullen O line guys starting.

You are correct that usually upperclassman o lineman start over young guys. But several of the O line recruits Sale missed on are already starting elsewhere - Seaton and the two in Miami. So, GOOD young o line talent will start over upperclassmen. What Sale has brought in may develop over time but we needed some top flight help in the early recruiting classes.

Mullen o line recruiting was below average. But… 6 are currently starting at major college programs (FSU, UK, OK, and Ark and two at Uf). With the current staff whiffing on immediate GOOD help in the portal and highly rated high school kids, it would have been smart to not push out the prior staffs kids and /or convince them to stay (with NIL, whatever). Maybe easy to say now post ipto facto.

What frustrates me is also the type of linemen Sale has brought in - they don’t fit the scheme. Billy runs a zone run blocking scheme which historically needs fleet footed and quick o linemen to pull and get to the second level. These are almost always “smaller” o linemen. Yet, we seem to mainly get portal additions and recruits that are towering in size and weight. This is NOT what zone blocking teams use personnel wise. Waits, George, Manuel, Westphal, etc. are giants and will never succeed in a zone scheme that requires them to pull. There is occasionally a unicorn that size who can pull but there is like one every 5 years.

It’s no surprise to me that Barber and Slaughter are more successful in the current scheme - they are built for it. Ironically, most of the Mullen guys who transferred fit the scheme better.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2024 at 10:32 AM
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  5. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Very good post spike

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Thank you. Really a shame. Bad hires by Napier. He's really a mess.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. kryptonite

Dec 12, 2008
    None of them wanted to be depth here. Tarquin washed out at USC and is part of a worse OL than ours. They all didn't want to be here, so it is irrelevant what they could be.

8. kryptonite

Dec 12, 2008
    I don't know that we can say it is a coincidence that those 5 programs are some of the worst OL and offenses in P4.

I agree with you that I don't know what the staff is trying to do with the OL scheme and personnel. So far it just works against bottom feeders and no one else.

On the 5 star OL, we keep whiffing on them, but so does almost everyone else. If you have 2 on your roster, you are probably an elite or high NIL paying school. Miami ones we missed on are just 2 on their team. They have had to develop guys. They did a better job. I'm not sure that Seaton would be starting here. CO's OL is really bad.

• Like Like x 1
  9. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017
    Right. I said if he is playing that is a very bad sign and here we are. Those goal posts have been moved, but who cares.