Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What happened to this week's midweek game?

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by uf1998, May 12, 2024.

1. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm not so sure a midweek game would have helped. Not sure playing the two games against St. John's would have helped. We need 13-17 in the SEC and a +.500 record. After all we've seen, there's still a path.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

2. uf1998

uf1998 Senior

Aug 19, 2023
    Our record stinks, but we've proven we can play with anyone. We haven't exactly been blown off the field, especially recently. It's time to WIN these close games, and take two of three from UGA.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    As far as the UGA weekend goes we need to take a page out of our opponents book (with regards to how Cags has been pitched).

Condron is batting .454—go ahead and circle his name on the lineup card. This is the guy who will not beat us. I’m not saying to intentionally walk him every AB — but conveniently wild can be an effective tool. See if he’ll get himself out by getting impatient. If we have any chance to win two out of three he’s got to be a non—factor. That team feeds off of him. You cannot miss over the middle on him, he is locked in.

Their team pitching staff carries a 5.31 ERA and a 1.50 WHIP so they can give up some runs. We have to do our part to take advantage of this.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. uf1998

uf1998 Senior

Aug 19, 2023
    The problem is UGA has other excellent hitters besides Condon. Overall they have six guys hitting .300 and another at .297. We have nothing like that, especially with Evans out.

I think you have to pitch to him, but yes nothing in the strike zone and hope that he chases.

UGA is an excellent offensive team, so we're going to have to score some runs. The Evans injury really sucks, so we have our work cut out for us. But maybe we'll finally catch some breaks, they hit it right at us, their fielding implodes, etc.

Just two 1-run wins is all we need.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Even with our bad record, we're still #29 in the RPI. Just need to get 3 more SEC wins (combined at Georgia and in the SEC tournament). That would guarantee a record above .500 and 14 conference wins. 13 SEC wins would get us in with our RPI & SOS, but I don't think we'd be above .500 with only 2 more wins unless we get them at Georgia.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    2-1 at Georgia really seems like the only "realistic" path and that's going to be tough.
    If we went 1-2 at Georgia, we would have to go 3-2 or better at the SEC tournament to stay above .500.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Agree.

8. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Don't see an upside for UF adding.a game. As others have noted simply need to win the Georgia series which gets the team to 13 sec wins and 2 games over ,.500. After that RPI/KPI or any other metric and reputation will get the team a 3 seed somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  9. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    My understanding is 500 is all we need.....so 1 win at UGA and 1 in Hoover would put us at 500 (2-3 assuming a loss in game 2 in Hoover)

10. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 1
  11. KendallGator922

KendallGator922 GC Legend

Mar 27, 2015
    Anything can happen. I think Scott Moss said that.

12. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    I appreciate a more accurate assessment of where we stand. In spite of what seemed to be good potential, the team has has what for hundreds of teams around the country would be a decent season, but for the Gators is an off year. Some people see it as an opportunity to gripe more than usual and, for change, there is more justification than usual. A few weeks ago, I reviewed the schedule- whom we beat, which games hurt us and such.

There are two teams- noles and scUM- on the sched every year that often are the only major conference team Gators face in the regular season. Sully has spoiled us by consistently pounding both over the past several years, but both are tough programs with histories near the top of college bsb. This year, scUM still is slumping, under .500 both in conference and overall. Even when they're losing, they aren't cupcakes. The noles arer havingtheir best season in many years and for a change, swept the Gators. Those are half of the midweek losses.
    The other midweek losses were to three in-state teams that the Gators beat the majority of the time, but they REALLY love to get wins from time to time and those losses were perfect examples of the Gators' failings this season, pitching mistakes and not enough timely hitting. JU and Stetson actually are having good seasons, tied for second in their conference. I almost forgot that UCF now is in a major conference and their Big XII record is not great- still better than Gators' SEC record- but their overall record is good. They're projected to be a Regional 3 seed.

So who are the cupcakes and how bad are they? The StJohns loss was annoying. D1Bsb and others have written that the Big East is performing wellenough this year to be ranked ahead of Big 10 and Pac 12. StJohns is in second and is having a good year, also projected to be a Regional 3 seed. The Gators swept Columbia, but they were good enough to Win big in the Ivy and already have clinched a Regional bid. Gators had mixed play against StMarys, losing one. Gaels have had a good year, finishing second in the WCC, a one-bid conference. Gators swept two from UNF, who are mediocre in their league. I put them somewhat ahead of the two in-state teams I consider true cupcake- FAMU and BCC. Each of those has one win ever against the Gatorsbut still are among the state teams that play tough. They rank first and second in the SWAC, FAMU is favored for the Regional bid.

FWIW I believe the Gators true problem is in the SEC. Nothing was more galling to me than the sweep at Mizzou, a truly awful team. There have been some other close losses, but the sweep showed the Gators at their worst.The flaws that led to two extra-inning losses to KY were the flaws that cost them the early losses to StJ, StM and the FL teams.

Last edited: May 15, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. burley

burley Junior

May 27, 2007
    What the Boss said! Just wait 'til next year! Always use this during a bad season.

14. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I walked out of the game on Sunday talking to a scout and said that we might set a record for intentional walks in the three game series this weekend. He just chuckled and said "Probably".

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Big one today.

Jac to Jake to Fisher and some timely hitting. Gotta keep Georgia from scoring early and our at bats have to be quality every inning.