Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What Freshman

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Jul 9, 2024.

1. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Do you.pick to have the biggest impact this season. Only pick one and give the reason. My pick is Tank Hawkins. He is the fastest guy on tje team and will impact the return game in a very positive way. At some.point i think he and Wilson will need to.be on the field at the same tome. Major headache for the other team.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2024
    • Like Like x 5
  2. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Early on…idk but by the end of the season…..LJ McCray

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. r0r080

r0r080 Senior

Jul 31, 2019
    I think you meant "Tank Hawkins", and if so I agree this young man stands a very good chance of having the same kind of impact as a freshman that Wilson had last year.

• Like Like x 4
  4. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    yea that speed gonna be tough to hold back but if EW3, Badger, Jean, Mizell, Dike, Jackson steps up….we may be able to slowly bring em along

• Like Like x 1
  5. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Hope it's Lagway.

Spot duty sure. He can bring something different and get good experience. But as we saw with Tebow as a freshman, he has the opportunity to energize the whole team, the fan base and recruits. And perhaps he does some things 0n the field to help us win some games.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. r0r080

r0r080 Senior

Jul 31, 2019
    Bobby, despite my generally negative outlook about the upcoming season....I really like the over-all talent of this team. I would like to see everyone of those guys you metioned step up! The WR position the last few years in as far as the infusion of preceieved talented recruits, hasn't lived up to even moderate expectations. I place blame at the feet of the coach and his staff, and is why my hopes for the upcoming season are tempered...........I'm not seeing much change except for Roberts on defense.

I'd like to see Napier succeed, because the reality is if he doesnt....... Florida probably isnt going to be able to hold the team together. Success has to be more than just wins and losses though, the product on the field has to dramatically improve too. I believe we're already seeing early recruiting setbacks, as a result of negative recruiting.....can you imagine what recruiting is going to be like with a season that looks similar to last year?

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  7. candymanfromgc

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes i did, getting old has its challenges.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    All valid but I just assume it's all coming together. Napier learning on the job people hate that but with new SEC landscape, portal, NIL, etc it's to be expected. Mostly I think it's the set of notebooks he has with a thousand details that take time for a broke program.

If he doesn't make it at UF It will probably because he's a victim of bad timing for the reasons above and also staff crap. You can blame him for that but if the defense is decent we'll have a good year.

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    That’s who I am thinking and not only because he is a very talented player, but it is something sorely needed by our defense. Get back there and disrupt that backfield.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Exactly!!! Need a situational pass rusher that every other top team seems to have on 3rd down/passing downs. Even if they’re a true freshmen, just throw em out there and tell em to get to the QB.

Collins and Searcy KIIINDA were that, but they had to play more snaps than they should have and we saw them wear down as the season went on.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. 4RoswellGators

4RoswellGators GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Jadan Baugh - he has the body and plays a position with no proven depth in front of him. Just like ETN passed Nayquan Wright, he could pass Webb.

LJ McCray is my second choice.

The fact that are only a few answers to this question is a good thing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. gatormonk

gatormonk GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Jadan Baugh

• Like Like x 5
  13. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    right. I dont expect much out of this true freshmen class as a WHOLE but not in a bad way. I think we finally have a balance of young redshirt freshmen/true sophomore’s and experienced upperclassmen that we won’t need to rush this class like we did last year outside of injuries/desperation

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. 4RoswellGators

4RoswellGators GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Most of this group will redshirt...and I'm happy for it.

Lagway, McCray and Baugh will not redshirt.
    Graham, Chiles and Tank could go either way.

KD Daniels is my dark horse. His body might not be ready but I think RB2 is up for grabs.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. r0r080

r0r080 Senior

Jul 31, 2019
    I base my feelings on leadership on my own experiences. In the space of 11 months, I went from a craft employee in a small office in Athens, GA, to a District Manager of a operation in Atlanta that generated 1 billion dollars annually, with oversight responsibility of 148 offices as well as a direct staff of 41 employees. I wasn't prepared for Management at that level and its responsibility, but I probably knew the job better than anyone in Atlanta at the time. I had niether time nor much paitence on the part of my Superiors to learn as I go. The 1st year was very rough, I made changes, implemented training programs and in fact used a football analogy with my staff.......That a good coach can take a losing team and turn them into winners within a year! For those that complained about what we had to work with. We were highly sucessfull, by my last year before retirement my Atlanta operation was rated 3rd nationally and I had the VP's in DC constantly in contact with us, looking for input and guidance.

Billy's had benefits and paitence afforded to him, I never saw. Billy's product on the field has shown absolutely no improvement from one year to the next. I've also had the benefit of being around coaches, that won no matter where they went or the circumstances they faced. I just dont see those tpye leadership qualities in Billy, I dont have to be up close and personal to make that determination......Ive seen his product on the field for 2 years now. At this point I'd be happy with Doug Dickey type results......I was a kid back then but enjoyed those years, because there were so many kids from the Manatee, Sarasota and Tampa area always well repersented on those Gator teams. I believe Florida should and must get back to where its a major player for Florida's best talent! That's not the case presently. Florida could probably pull through another couple of years with Napier pulling off Doug Dickey type winning results, but I dont believe at this point Napier is the long term answer to what Florida needs to become a national contender. But Napier putting together a couple of years of competitive and winning football would stablize Florida football enough to endure a coaching change, at the point a change becomes necessary to elevate to the next level.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    not big on Webb like that or think KD/Baugh may just be THAT good?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    And they are both solid players and possibly have the NFL in their future, but they are not complete disruptors. We need somebody to cause some havoc.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. 2oldgator

2oldgator GC Legend

Jul 14, 2021
    Dunnellon fl
    Treyaun Webb seems to be flying under the radar. I think he is a very good football player with a Gator pedigree to boot. I like the fact that we are loaded with talent at RB but, I’m not sleeping on Treyaun.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. candymanfromgc

Apr 3, 2007
    RB is loaded

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. 4RoswellGators

4RoswellGators GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    I’ve been a big fan of KD since he committed but Baugh got my attention at the OB game. I think both are that good.

Definitely not knocking Webb. I think one of the freshman RBs are going to emerge.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2