Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What a Difference a Coach Makes

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by doctorg8r, Oct 13, 2022.

1. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Sorry for an "out there" post. I am reminded of what is passed by a LOT (vast, VAST majority actually) of folks as "faith". They say, "I have faith in God, I just need Him to realize how I want Him to do his job." Um, you either have faith or you don't. And no, He does not need our "assistance".

You seem to have that affliction with Napier. Not that you are alone.

2. partdopy

partdopy GC Hall of Fame

Feb 1, 2012
    I'm not really sure I understand your post. I'm also not trying to assist our coaching staff as they know far more than me and I hold no delusions that Billy Napier logs into GC to read my posts.

When I say I have hope it's that he can figure out what he is doing poorly this year and fix it next year. I haven't seen anything to suggest otherwise as this is year one, year two should be a lot more telling. I said nothing of "faith".

If I knew what he was doing wrong and could fix it I'd be making $8M coaching football this year rather than opining on this forum.

3. northgagator

northgagator GC Hall of Fame

Napier clearly knows about the 3rd down issues. This issue is clearly due to a lack of talent instead of coaching. Take a look at the plays and you see players out of position, getting beat (speed and or strength) by better players.

You say that the Gator Offense is getting worse. Please explain how the Gators have scored more than 21 point six out of seven games this year? How do you say that the Gator offense is not better than last year? Richards is have a decent to good season. The running game is improving.

The analogy of the good coach with mediocre talent is flawed. In our case LSU has a ton of talent and they have a history of good coaching. Kelly is not a chump change coach. He has a proven record The Gator Offense came close last night in pulling out that game. With more talent on both sides of the ball they could of won.

How d

4. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    You may disagree with me, but if this isn't negative and showing a lack of faith, meaning it does not meet your EXPECTATIONS, then we just have a different idea of the definition. That is why I used my analogy; faith dies not come with expectations. ESPECIALLY after the 7th game of the first year after an arrogant and oblivious coach.

5. partdopy

partdopy GC Hall of Fame

Feb 1, 2012
    I'm just stating what I see on the field and the obvious expectation of improvement. Overall this has been a negative season but that doesn't mean I'm negative on the team or coaching staff as a whole. Personally, as I've said before, I still think this will turn into a good hire but I'm not overly impressed with this season. Does having eyeballs and reasonable expectations make me a negative fan? I don't think so.

He's a grown man performing a very demanding job with a generous compensation package for it. Is it wrong to be concerned when you aren't seeing improvement 1 calendar year into his hire (technically 11/28/21)? I get yearly reviews from my employer and if I did poorly in certain areas I get fairly criticized, doesn't mean they hate me and have no faith in me to improve and grow.

6. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    My take (not to be contrary to your take per se) is all about "faith". You do not have it, in my definition of the word.

And to me, you are negative, just not the "Napier has to be fired NOW" negative. Again, if you disagree, well that is your prerogative.

7. partdopy

partdopy GC Hall of Fame

Feb 1, 2012
    I guess having any criticism is negative in your view. Odd take but I'll agree to disagree.

I'm not really big on having faith in people I don't know personally, so perhaps you're right, I prefer observing results.

Anyways it looks like a 4 star from buchholz HS decided to decommit today likely based of our recent performances, maybe you should go lecture him about faith as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Vols and esp Rebs have won early and I don't think either coach inherited a better roster than Napier. . However, both have excelled in the transfer portal and have exciting offensive plans. It should not take 3 years in the current transfer environment.

The major positive I see so far is that the team does not quit. To sustain that attitude tho, you need to win for positive reinforcement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    The main point is over, at least for me. Your last point is plainly,

if that is the way he feels then he isn't what Napier wants to build the program around. It really isn't that hard.

10. gatorade

gatorade All American

Oct 21, 2014
    I agree with everything you are saying.
    Not sure what the other poster is inferring.
    Maybe we should start praying for better results?

11. partdopy

partdopy GC Hall of Fame

Feb 1, 2012
    Judging from his odd wording, near incoherence and strange use of punctuation/spacing I think he just never stopped drinking after Saturday's game. Don't blame him I guess.

12. doctorg8r

doctorg8r GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2018
    Yes, I am disappointed in certain aspects of game management. I'm not sure what's going on with Lingard, but he seems too good to be 3rd or 4th string, and he should have stayed in the LSU game more. With that said, I think Napier's the guy! And consider this, two players from Napier's Louisiana team are starting for the Gators. If Napier had the talent that Smart has, he'd be kicking everyone's arse! Not now, but I expect that later on, Napier's coaching will be stellar; he just has to get his player's in his system--a quarterback who can execute and receiver's who can get separation.

13. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    True that. The attitude for the next game should be to come out punching and keep punching for 60 minutes.

14. sas1988

sas1988 All American

Nov 16, 2016
    Denver
    3 loses to SEC teams with coaches in place for more than 1 year that ALL 3 recruited better than our last coach on both lines of scrimmage is not reason to complain, to me anyway. It seems younger fans have less patience than is nec. to turn this program around. We had a chance to beat UT & UK right to the end of those games. Hell, if not for the bogus roughing QB call we probably tie up vs LSU.
    All of this with a terrible D with only two true big timers playing well (LB & DL). We did beat a very good Utah team in game 1.
    Relax and step away from the ledge guys because this train is gonna be rolling soon enough (for some of us anyway).

15. northgagator

northgagator GC Hall of Fame

A lot of those highly recruited Mullen guys flew the coop via the portal or they used up their eligibility. This item alone left the cupboard more than bare.

16. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Not sure I agree. All of our players have been playing the game since childhood. You would have to convince me that they forgot how to play the game. Out of position, yes. Seemingly lost at times, yes. But why? Our coaches are supposed to put our players in position, supposed to disrupt third and long plays, supposed to rise up, sometimes. But the result of their coaching, with these players, is horrendous on third downs. I just can't lay it on the players.

Against USF there were holes five yards wide in our front seven and we could not stop them. Against Tennessee, somehow, our front seven seemed to be sealed inside so often that, when needed, their QB just galloped for huge gains. It just doesn't make sense that our talent is THAT bad. But I agree, at times, it doesn't look like our defense knows how to play the game. Our DBs in coverage don't look like they practice technique. I suggested to someone that part of the problem might be the offensive scheme they practice against. If our offense isn't aggressively passing in practice and running routes similar to what successful pass teams run, then how would our DBs be ready for a team like LSU? Maybe our defense is in position to play against our offense? It's really hard to understand what are the accurate reasons we are so unsuccessful at the moment.

17. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    This is what I was trying to say above. It's surreal. To me it looks like our D plays scared and I can't tell you it's talent or that our staff sees such weakness in practice that they have no choice. But somehow I doubt that's the case. And yeah, sometimes our DB coverage technique is just awful.