Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What a Difference a Coach Makes

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by doctorg8r, Oct 13, 2022.

1. tbtwnsnd

tbtwnsnd Premium Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Memphis
    Let’s win some games first

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree. Ultimately it is about wins. But to have a coach that runs a better than solid program and who is not full of bull is on its own an improvement. I do not believe our struggles are only of talent. Have to believe Coach knows what's up, but there are a lot of aspects of the program he's managing. We are in-season and changes at this time will not help us win or hold a great class together.

3. 31g8r

31g8r GC Hall of Fame

Oct 20, 2013
    I really hate doing other people’s homework for them FYI

We had 4 passes for 218 yds and 7 others that went for 18 yds or more the average was around 23yds

our yds per completion was definitely skewed by this one game.
    Remove this game and 5th place ranking falls a lot

4. 31g8r

31g8r GC Hall of Fame

Oct 20, 2013
    Not sure what your point is. Our current rank of 5 in yds per completion is based on the EW game.
    We had 4 completions for 218 yds. We also had 7 more completions of 18 yds or more with an average of around 23 yds.
    I’m not disparaging the offense just pointing out we aren’t slinging the ball down field link in the spurrier years. That’s ok as long as we continue to improve

5. 31g8r

31g8r GC Hall of Fame

Oct 20, 2013
    Ok I’m confused we won’t maintain the 5th placed rank for the aforementioned stat throughout the season, no biggie. The offense is improving but neophytes touting a meaningless stat that was skewed by a single game isn’t indicative of our ability to throw the consistently throw the ball well

6. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Take out EW and our average yards per completion goes from 14.90 to 12.90. As i said for someone who doesnt understand how this works, you would have to do the same for all the other teams who played inferior opponents.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. 31g8r

31g8r GC Hall of Fame

Oct 20, 2013
    Provided other teams were dropping a large number of bombs on the the inferior teams an assumption you can’t make

8. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    What? Whether teams were "dropping bombs " on inferior teams makes absolutely no difference. What matters is whether they played those inferior type of teams or not. What they did or didnt do against them is absolutely pertinent to these numbers. I'm not happy with our inconsistency but you can't cherry pick numbers.

9. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Some here were trying to make the case that our team is only doing dink and dunk type short passes and we don't throw the ball down field (apparently this opinion was formed with out any type of research or watching our games). We are better than AL and GA Passing yards per Completion calculated for all games and even calculated for only play against FBS schools (adjusted for FBS only competition we are top 20% (24 out of 131 for all teams). In addition as a side note, we are rushing for over 200 yards a game adjusted for only playing FBS schools. I think we can agree that we are designing plays to throw the ball down field. Also, if you factor in the numerous incompletions due to AR having issues when receivers were open running down field, it further dispels the notion we are a short passing team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. 31g8r

31g8r GC Hall of Fame

Oct 20, 2013
    Not cherry picking. So to recap our 11 passes for almost 400 yds didn’t inflate our yds/comp ranking is that your position?

We throw for less than 100 against Mizz and I supposed to believe our passing game is good b/c we have a #5 rank in 1 category, smh

I understand that every game is its own entity and week to week comparisons are meaningless as BN strings together wins while moving the team towards 2023 and beyond. We gave many warts and improving technique and talent will be our salvation long term.

To close I’m not wrapped up in statistical rankings this year in like the OP pages ago.
    Show me open field tackling, reasonable coverage on defense, LB attacking the LOS, competent kicking game, improved passing game. yes I is it’s a long list but one a nationally competitive team can demonstrate.

At this point in time BN has demonstrated his ability to address these issues let him roll.

11. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    I'm not trying to be argumentative. You literally said we can't assume other teams have been dropping bombs against inferior schools. Again, what their stats are against those type of opponents is irrelevant. Another poster commented that other schools have also played those games and some have more than once so to disregard the EW game while not doing the same for the other schools and then reranking us irrespective of those facts is cherry picking. That's not really debatable. If you want to throw out the EW game by all means go ahead but then do the same for all the other schools before you rerank us and make any claims based on statistics

12. gatorich

gatorich GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Pensacola, FL
    This right here, especially the last sentence!
    Look no further than the arrogance of making statements like “I can win with my dog at QB”.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. gatorich

gatorich GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Pensacola, FL
    That 453 yards passing and 10.1 per pass against that cupcake Tennessee really helped bolster our stats too.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The "chatter" before we hired Billy Napier was that Riley's and Kelly's agents wanted an interview with the Gators for the head coaching vacancy but Scott Stricklin poo-pooed that idea and after his first interview with Billy Napier... and settled on Napier.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. 31g8r

31g8r GC Hall of Fame

Oct 20, 2013
    Actually that reduced the number posted in the EW game which is my point. We had 16 for 393 a 24.5 average. More than double our average which was the point

16. 31g8r

31g8r GC Hall of Fame

Oct 20, 2013
    Not sure why so many are debating the OP opined he thought our 5th rank in the yds/comp was do to catch up football in games we trailed. I pointed out it was related to the EW game. Dude it’s really simple it’s not the total yards it’s the 16/393 for 24.5 average comp more than 1.5 our average from the Tenn game. I’m sure many here can do simple math, the category requires long consistently completions to improve the average

Removing the EW game puts tied for 42 which was kind of the point I made in passing, pardon the pun.

We haven’t done that all season out side of EW. That game moved the needle for us nationally

It’s all good we play tonight I hope we hammer LSu

17. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Anyone who's interested, here's the website which will give stats for only FBS teams.

College Football Stats - College FB Team Yards per Completion | TeamRankings.com

My original post citing the fact that our team does throw the ball downfield, and also many intermediate passes, was directed at the poster who said about CBN, " I mean that he likes to run and short-pass and doesn't go up-tempo much". CBN does not have a designed game plan to ''short pass'. Let's just understand that.

18. G8R92

G8R92 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 5, 2010
    As we watch yet again poor game and clock management, jackpot is not quite the term that comes to mind.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. crescent_beach

crescent_beach GC Legend

Sep 25, 2016
    Can’t stop the games. They’re coming.

20. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    So far not so much

• Agree Agree x 1