Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What a Difference a Coach Makes

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by doctorg8r, Oct 13, 2022.

1. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    It seems to me that we are going to continue to have a lot of those by design. I think that was Muschamp's downfall, but, he could never put a good offense together. And, Napier's whole risk analysis thought process seems to be much different, so I'm hoping for a higher percentage of wins in those close games now.

2. always_and_forever_uf

always_and_forever_uf GC Legend

Jun 20, 2022
    Glad we got him. For me, Napier was the one I wanted, and it wasn't even close.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Hope Napier returns our defense to the suffocating group it once was.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I really hope its not by design. I much prefer stepping on the opponents neck when they are down, demoralize them, and make them subconsciously quit. Spurs used this method and typically inferior teams were mentally spent and run out of the gym by halftime.

I really hope that when our talent improves we aren't keeping the score close just because we go into a conservative shell....that method just makes the other team think "hey...maybe there's a chance."

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. royalewitcheesee

royalewitcheesee All American

Nov 20, 2016
    Sounds like that writer got Napier confused with Mullen. Napier is ALL about player development inside and outside football.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  6. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    I do think it's by design, but, when I say that I don't mean he is intentionally sitting on a one-score lead and going conservative like Muschamp did. I don't see that at all. I mean that he likes to run and short-pass and doesn't go up-tempo much. That often burns a lot of clock on longer drives and doesn't give either team much chance to score much more than 30 points, or so. I don't see us running a lot of plays in a game or generating all that many explosive plays with this style either. All that leads to very few blowout games, but, I do think we'll eventually start getting slightly larger win margins.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    When you mention 'short passes' FYI we are 6th in the nation in Passing Yards per Completion. CBN also mentioned not going up tempo - alluding to Defensive issues in todays press conference.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    That does surprise me on the short passes. Some of the longer stuff was probably in catch-up mode on the two games we lost, I would think.

9. MCB51

MCB51 Moderator

Nov 23, 2015
    FL
    Good news going on in Awesome Recruiting to address this

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. 31g8r

31g8r GC Hall of Fame

Oct 20, 2013
    I think the EW game propped up the yds/comp stat

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Which is bad college football strategy for elite programs. Our ultimate goal is to lose 1 game a year. More close games = more variance = more random losses.

Lower tier programs want closer games, not bigger programs.

That being said I think CBN will adjust

12. gatorfanbill

gatorfanbill All American

Feb 7, 2018
    I’m glad the Gators had some fun scoring in the EW game. They felt what it was like to win and win big. It’s good for the soul, and we all needed that. Now they need to keep improving.

We are certainly loading up with good recruits/players for next year and beyond.

Go Gators!

13. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Most quality teams have played an 'EW' to date. Georgia has played 2 and Alabama has played 2. So in many respects, they had more of an opportunity to pad their stats. You have to consider the whole body of work and if you want to drill down to only quality teams you have to do that for all teams. The point is we are not throwing only 'short completions'

14. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Huge blunder on their part. He's a bad fit culturally. We got lucky and I would say at this point our AD deserves a lot of credit. That said, the only thing imho that will prevent CBN from having us in the NC hunt most seasons will be his key assistants. We shall see what happens there. Need a better D and at this point it's not all about lack of talent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. sas1988

sas1988 All American

Nov 16, 2016
    Denver
    We played Utah (#6 ranked at the time) in the place of our normal cupcake first game. Stats would be much better had the reverse been true during BN's very first game. I can't think of another first year coach at a major program that had a test such as that in the first game.

16. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    if this continues he needs to hire an OC to help him put up points, even run happy Alabama with all the five stars stacked 3 deep, know how to run it up, this is what I want and there are more wanting this then being conservative all the time.

17. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    they have beat us three years in a row. This is where he earns his money, if PT can’t get the defense stopping third down passes, then we will have to demand a new DC, this is where we went into a shell on 3rd down with Grantham and Mullen. We can do better, this passive scheme gives up first downs/points and keeps average teams in the game. With any momentum, the opposing team wins. Just getting recruits help but doesn’t solve the passive scheme. I like coach Napier, but if he wants to stay and build a championship team, there are going to have to have some coaching changes. This is where Mullen failed big time along with his recruiting!

• Like Like x 1
  18. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    As did our peers, similarly speaking. You are what your record says you are.

19. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Tend to agree. We have decent DBs, I'm sure. Absolutely no reason to be out of position or slow to react. If PT said he likes pressuring the QB and playing man, then let our players do it. The ten plus yard cushion does not wins games nor inspires players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    Yep, I agree with all that. I don't think he's going to ever go wholesale air-mail explosive bomb approach, but, I do think he will adjust to 2020s SEC-style offensive play some. I also think his defenses will improve over time as he loads the D-line. That will open up the scoring gap some. I couldn't stand watching Muschamp always play for a three-point win, and losing half of them when a turnover or missed kick surfaced.