Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What a Difference a Coach Makes

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by doctorg8r, Oct 13, 2022.

1. doctorg8r

doctorg8r GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2018
    For those who hate reading articles, the quote below REALLY stood out and should give Gator Nation hope for the future. Napier is eventually transforming and growing this team! The last three coaches at UF didn't show GN they had any concern for player discipline or designing personal player growth. Frankly, I think they thought their playcalling would be the difference and were they ever mistaken.

“I think your off-season program is where you create these intangibles,” Napier said during media availability on Monday. “I think if you're intentional about — what I say is its design difficulty. Everything that we do from a training perspective is both physically and mentally, we're trying to design difficulty for the players. It's the only way that you can create growth is to make it hard. Harder is better. I think we work hard and try to do that in the off-season program.”

Napier Credits Gators’ Mental Toughness for Early Success In One-Score Games

Last edited: Oct 13, 2022
    • Like x 11
    • Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Off-topic x 1
  2. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Some will dismiss as coach speak. But if you are consistent with your message and follow through then it is real.

This is not the first time he has said the above. He has said the same since the beginning.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
  3. always_and_forever_uf

always_and_forever_uf GC Legend

Jun 20, 2022
    Napier was the best choice for HC for us, and that will continue to be proven in next few years. We hit the jackpot.

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. kes

kes GC Hall of Fame

May 26, 2007
    DeLand, FL
    Decepticon for sure!

5. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia

Thanks Doc - This is why I am so "On-Board" with coach! Rome was not built in a day!! Neither Was Tuscaloosa or Athens!

What have we all been (WHINING) about for the last 3 years.....
    RECRUITING!

I'm on board that the primary reason UF is not a top tier program is..............recruiting.

The University has put all the things in place for UF to emerge from the shadows:

Money
    A Hugeeeee Staff! lol
    Infrastructure
    NIL
    Media Market
    Enthusiasm
    Booster Support
    Gator Collective

And they hired a guy that seems to understand that it takes relentless effort at all levels to get where we want to go.

Here UF is, in what is arguably the most H.S. talent rich environment in the Universe outside of LA and probably even exceeding that.

We all know UF fell behind in several areas as compared to Clemson, Bama, UGA, Ohio State and a few others.

Well, its all in place now.

"WE" - The fan base just need to exercise a little bit of patience and let CBN harvest the talent locally to get us back on top.

Sure, it's going to be bumpy a couple of years, but it's not unattainable. It's right in front of us, I believe that.

Just let coach "Saw Wood" for a couple of years and the fire will be burning bright for UF football again!

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. doctorg8r

Dec 11, 2018
    I read too many articles to remember the source, but someone recently criticized Napier as not being interested in player development, just winning ball games (and the context was about all coaches, and, according to him, Napier was no different). That writer, and many others are full of shite! Napier has already gotten the team to drastically reduce penalties as well as introducing a winning culture. If people can't see it yet, their just not paying enough attention!!! BTW, I'll go so far as to say we already have the offense to beat anyone, including Georgia; although our quarterback isn't consistent enough yet to make that boast. And our defense can't stop the elite teams, otherwise we would have come away from Knoxville with a W!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. doctorg8r

Dec 11, 2018
    ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, AGREE!!! I expect Billy Napier will eventually be seen as a coach that can recruit as well as anyone else; and before long we will realize he is a better coach than most for his emphasis on the intangibles--player development off the field which contributes to a much better mental game. I think we are all tired of players making stupid mistakes because their head isn't in the game!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Well, except for Mike Shannahan, Bill Belichick, Andy Reid, and a few others who were dying to become our next HC. But we will never know...

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    You left out Stoops .............. and of course Vince Lombardi.........

• Funny Funny x 4
  10. eightiesgator

eightiesgator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2017
    This is, of course, the key. But one can have the greatest system in place and the soundest philosophy, but if these don't translate to wins and losses, it won't really matter.

11. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Yeah those wins and losses ...

12. bike1014

bike1014 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2010
    Every coach has a plan - all of them. And they all sound the same. From Saban to Mullen - they all had a "plan to win". The plan is no longer a secret sauce - it's right there for all to (try to!!) copy.

The difference between Saban and and the others is leadership/presence, consistency, communication skills (huge! Can you take the complex, and convey in a way that moves people), and in short, likability (I don't mean personality, I mean...can you sign top recruits).

CBN seems to be executing well on his plan so far (easier said than done), and one data point for that is recruiting. All 5 of our top true freshmen are playing/starting and playing really well. He closed on 4 of them after he joined us (going off memory). That's already better than our last 4-5 classes - which are loaded with whiffs.

If he can close this class strong....Then we'll be very relevant very soon.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  13. bposs

bposs GC Hall of Fame

Sep 3, 2010
    Woodstock, GA
    That writer doesn’t know squat! I’d say Napier is the exact opposite, if he lays down the foundation of player development, the winning will come. New coaches are typically given a year or two, then fans want to see winning. Mullen won early, but never recruited or built a program that was sustainable. He thought he could coach his way out of a mess, but that will not work in this league. You need top talent year in and year out. In my opinion Napier is the right man for the job. HS coaches seem to love him as well as the players.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    You forgot Paul Brown and Knute Rockne. I understand ole Knute is turning quite violently for the potential to exorcise the name "Urban" from football and Roman Catholic infamy.

I understand your lack of nuance. You are young, you will learn.

15. always_and_forever_uf

Jun 20, 2022
    We were fortunate that LSU went ALL IN on Lincoln Riley. We got the HC we wanted, ranked #1, while LSU whiffed. Who knows what would have happened had we gone toe to toe with LSU over Napier?

LSU "settled" on Brian Kelly. We "won" with Billy Napier.

And over the next few years, we will beat LSU on the field and on recruiting. And not only that, beginning in 2024, we will be comprehensively relevant for a Title, and it'll stay that way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    If I may opine (ie, totally ignorant take), your argument is more aligned with when we hired Urban and Notre Dame and not Napier and LSU. Just because Napier was a coach in the same state does not mean he had a heart for all things Louisiana. His background is Georgia. My belief is that, while he would have seriously considered the merits of LSU, when Stricklin came in with his ideas for the future we would have come up on top.

Not that we have better fans (read these threads) but rather the folks in LA are, um, convinced that they can buy happiness. Not to be Too Hot, but the states of Illinois and Louisiana have been neck-and-neck with which one who can proclaim being THE most corrupt state in the US for quite some time. That is just the way they are wired.

I think Napier is smart enough to recognize that aspect of the state. JMHO.

17. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    Probably the lone concern I had with CBN was that it seemed like he had a LOT of 1-score games at ULL. Hoping he develops a roster that 1-score wins are the outlier, not the norm.

18. lerxst6

lerxst6 GC Legend

Apr 11, 2007
    Naples
    Mullen and Mac completely missed the boat in the off season programs as far as we have heard.

I think Muschamp started OK there but the wheels fell off pretty quickly. Didn’t help that he lost a great strength coach (when Mariotti followed Urbs to tOSU).

Seems Napier really does have the plan and executes it thus far. Starting with the off season. He said from the beginning to be patient.

19. always_and_forever_uf

Jun 20, 2022
    Lincoln Riley was LSU's first choice, and Billy Napier was ours. While LSU was TRYING to land Riley, Stricklin was LANDING Coach Billy. Correct me if I am wrong, but I am close to certain that Stricklin never pursued Lincoln Riley. Granted, LSU may never have had any interest in Napier, and vice versa.

Who knows? You may be right that Napier would have chosen UF over anyone else. I am certainly not any of these coaches, but if I were, I would accept a HC job at UF long before LSU or Southern Cal, for a lot of reasons, in addition to the ones stated by you.

20. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I heard from the beginning that LSU wanted a splash hire. They were not interested in Napier one bit.
    So for LSU I don't think it was Riley then Napier. It could have been Riley, then Kelly, then another big name.
    But I don't think Napier was on their radar.

edit: 62 just posted the exact same thing in the LSU/ Florida thread.

• Agree Agree x 1