Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What’s happening in America today is something darker than a misinformation crisis.

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by philnotfil, Oct 12, 2024 at 10:55 AM.

1. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Oh goodness you still believe the lies they told you!

While in number one you get it was airborne. That is correct. You quickly peddle the lie that masks worked. Seriously. This was known before Covid that masks don’t work for an illness like Covid. But you just said it again in October of 2024. Don’t continue to be this ignorant. As you are showing how powerful the propaganda is with the lies that were used.

Your second is as bad as your first. Just look at the Delta data. Those who had alpha Covid basically did not get delta. Yet if you took the shot it did not protect you a bit from getting delta. By the time omicron came around it did not matter. Shot or natural immunity. But I guess facts don’t matter?

The third is just pure bs conjecture. Covid was dangerous to small segments. If we were going to push a new drug out you do it for those at real risk. The vast majority of the population is not at risk from bad outcomes to Covid. But the dems and msm media lied enough to scare you into believing their lies. Unfortunate reality.

You fourth is just word babble that makes no sense.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Why would you even logically think that?!?! With one day of voting, it makes it far easier to have one group physically threaten and keep another from going to the polls, for starters. And that’s not fantasy, it was a regular occurrence. With mail-in ballots and early voting, the ability to restrict basic, fundamental access to exercise the most basic American right is severely limited.

Voting, and counting the lawful ballots, is at the most secure it has ever been.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Stated differently, you’re one of those who believed the lies you were fed to you about January 6 and Covid, lies that while costly for the biggest purveyors like Fox, are still peddled to this day.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Every single statement that doesn’t fit in their portfolio of force-fed misinformation is, to them, a lie. Regardless of how tested that lie was (like the election fraud lies that failed to convince a single judge in over 100 cases, that resulted in 3/4 of a billion dollar payout by Fox, despite having the best lawyers in its packet book, and despite having access to unlimited discovery and fact-finding). And despite that every country in earth, which independently researched and studied and analyzed Covid, appreciated its dangers, posted its million+ loss of life, and then when the vaccines became available, independently tested, studied and researched the efficacy for its own citizens (you know, because Fauci was their faceplate boogeyman).

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    After all, you—with no degrees whatsoever in science, medicine or virology, are far more advanced and learned than the most highly educated, experienced, published, and studied scientists on Earth. Obviously your analysis and conclusions are far more credible than theirs, and most certainly affords you a seat up front to denigrate those posters who don’t share your definitionally scientifically accurate and full-proof conclusions.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2024 at 4:59 PM
  6. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    And still very effective on folks like Q. They find the (mis)information they want to believe and propagate it themselves, getting others to believe it. It's like a multi-level marketing scheme.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  7. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Oh hey, this turned into a Covid thread, big surprise lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    The very premise of the OP was underscored in these boards today when a poster declared, based on a Facebook account of an unknown, that one of our VP candidates is a pedophile. The poster doubled-down on the “possibility” and soon, sure enough, those who just wanted to believe, started to believe with sickening hope on their heart.

Yes, we have a huge danger to our society, and yes, as adults, we need to address a remedy to the danger.

9. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    umm, in a word NO. Paul Weyrich, one of the godfathers of the conservative movement, co-founder of Heritage Foundation and the Moral Majority famously said:
    I don't want everybody to vote... As a matter of fact, our leverage in the election quite candidly goes up as the voting populace goes down.

This is why it is done.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    This is becoming less true now though. Perhaps post-Trump it reverts back, but the only reason their "populism" is viable right now is due to low frequency voters since college-educated demographics have moved more Democratic. At this point their commitment to making it hard to vote isnt exactly helping them, its just that all the Republicans in power came up believing this (which is why they cant really do populism either, since all the people in office are just going to do tax cuts, union busting and deregulation, not you know, give normal people economic benefits or wealth transfers).

11. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    I’m remembering the polling places moved off college campuses - particularly HBCU.

Advocates say politics motivates moving polling places off campus

RALEIGH, N.C. — Rulings by the State Board of Elections on Monday to close early voting sites at Appalachian State University and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in favor of off-campus locations have some voting rights watchdogs crying foul.

and in counties where there is a significant minority population. Since the Supremes removed the pre-clearance previously required, states have been active in this. Nefarious? Maybe. I do know that the side that wants One Day Voting has been busy removing voting sites.

Democracy Diverted: Polling Place Closures and the Right to Vote
    Arizona, a state where 30 percent of the population is Latino, 4 percent is Native American, and 4 percent is African American, has the most widespread reduction (–320) in polling places. Almost every county (13 of 15 counties) closed polling places since preclearance was removed — some on a staggering scale. Maricopa County, which is 31 percent Latino, closed 171 voting locations since 2012 — the most of any county studied and more than the two next largest closers combined.

Courts have found intentional discrimination in at least 10voting rights decisions since the Shelby court decision.

Georgia, a state where 31 percent of the population is African American and 9 percent is Latino, has 214 fewer polling places. Georgia stands out because its counties have closed higher percentages of voting locations than any other state in our study. The top five closers of polling places by percentage were Georgia counties:

In a February 2015 memo, the office of Brian Kemp, who was then serving as Georgia’s secretary of state, encouraged counties to consolidate voting locations. He specifically spelled out twice — in bold font — that “as a result of the Shelby vs. Holder [sic] Supreme Court decision, [counties are] no longer required to submit polling place changes to the Department of Justice for preclearance.”

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Yeah, no doubt that this is happening and will continue in the near future. But them touting their gains among low-frequency voters and minorities while also doing stuff that makes it much harder for those groups to vote presents some contradictions for them. None of those people are reliable members of the coalition yet, all who could easily leave post-Trump, but if they keep trying to do the right-wing populism thing, they will need those people to vote and it will be in their interest not to make it a debacle, particularly if Democrats keep making gains with the most reliable groups of voters.

13. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I believe you know nothing about Covid compared to the medical experts in the government. I also believe that you think you know more than they do because you saw some things on a right-wing propaganda site.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Sorry to point this out to you, but you seem to be arguing with yourself. You might want to edit. :)

15. JustaGator

JustaGator Sophomore

Sep 6, 2015
    N95 masks do work, others are less effective, but what you fail to take into account is we don't breathe the virus itself in and out. It rides on the moisture in our breath. Yes, the virus theoretically can pass through a mask, but it doesn't because it is attached to moisture from our breath. Which is why masks always offer protection, but depending on how much exposure you receive they might not prevent you contracting COVID.

As far as vaccine effectiveness, ask the 7 million dead how effective having no vaccine was. Yes, vaccine induced immunity and COVID exposure based immunity are the same, the difference is the second might have killed people who never got the chance to gain the immunity. Are you telling me you can tell who will die from COVID by looking at them? Perfect healthy people died from COVID!

You forget how COVID almost overwhelmed the healthcare system. The vaccines and masks slowed it down enough so it didn't completely collapse.

Yes, TRUMP GAVE OUR TESTING EQUIPMENT AND VENTILATORS FOR PUTIN'S USE DURING THE PANDEMIC WHEN AMERICANS WERE DYING - why do you think he did that? Because Putin is his handler.

You need to stop getting your information from garbage propaganda sources which are more and more turning out to be paid for by Putin or his pets.

• Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  16. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Come on. Who is at the polls intimidating anyone. That is why you have representatives from both parties there.

Mail in for no reason is ripe for fraud. We should all show up on one day and allow those who can’t to absentee.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    I have not watched fox in decades at this point. Probably closer to 15 years. And when I did I also watched msnbc to see what the other side said. Now I watch gma to keep an eye on what is being said. And they peddlers Jan 6 lies at an alarming level.

Go talk to any doctor and honestly look at things. It is sick what the msm and left did when it comes to Covid. And it sucks that so many had their healthy kids take the shot!

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Well there is a key statement here. Sadly you listen to the minority and not the majority in medicine.

“medical experts in the government”

I am not looking to listen to people with an agenda. I am looking to listen to people who are trying to provide evidence based medicine!

19. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Go take your shot lol.

That said I would suggest talking to a doctor before you do…

Love the switch to the n 95 which is not practical at all especially considering the number one place the disease spreads is at home. Let alone the harm an n 95 can cause wearing for extended periods of time. And knowing most are not at any real danger from the disease. It is a joke of an option.

Live in fear my friend. But it is not good for you!

***and spare us the BS 7 million died FROM Covid that you try to insinuate…any honest person who lived in fear of Covid knows at this point that is a pure lie***

Last edited: Oct 14, 2024 at 7:51 PM
  20. JustaGator

JustaGator Sophomore

Sep 6, 2015
    You are correct, it is only 7 million directly attributable to COVID - the are another 3-12 million estimated excess deaths that occurred during the COVID pandemic according to the spreadsheet of data I downloaded and crunched from the WHO here: Download data

COVID-19 Map - Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center

COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

I'll even throw in one from FOX News in SLC:

https://www.fox13now.com/news/national-news/coronavirus/coronavirus-tracker

Our World in Data — Coronavirus (COVID-19) Deaths - Our World in Dataourworldindata.org

World Health Organization (WHO) — The true death toll of COVID-19 estimating global excess mortality who.int

World Health Organization (WHO) — COVID-19 epidemiological update – 9 October 2024 who.int

Last edited: Oct 14, 2024 at 9:28 PM
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1