Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What’s happening in America today is something darker than a misinformation crisis.

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by philnotfil, Oct 12, 2024 at 10:55 AM.

1. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    "Even in a decade marred by online grifters, shameless politicians, and an alternative right-wing-media complex pushing anti-science fringe theories, the events of the past few weeks stand out for their depravity and nihilism."

"Right-wing media complex? LMFAO! PROJECTION. Anti-science? Who is anti-science, and what "science" is the OP talking about?

But the most ridiculous part is the projecting of nihilism... The Left and their actions are the reason why that word was invented in the first place.

I did NOT even need to waste my time reading the rest of that tripe.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta VIP Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Gallatin, TN
    Since the hurricanes I haven't been watching much news. I got a new job and have been busy preparing for that. I'll google around but if you could point me to an article that goes over what is happening in regards to the hurricanes and right wing lies, I'd be happy to give you an honest answer.

As far as an analog for the left.. in what regards are you talking about? With regards to biased media, fear mongering, media lies etc ?

3. gator_jo

gator_jo GC Legend

Aug 9, 2024
    Ring the bell, Rick. School's in.

The word "nihilism" was first used in the 18th century, but its exact origin is uncertain. Some of the earliest known uses of the term include:

German writer Friedrich Leberecht Goetz used the term in a literary context
        Swiss thinker Jacob Hermann Obereit used the term to describe the belief that no one can know true reality

• Like Like x 1
  4. gatorchamps0607

Aug 14, 2007
    Gallatin, TN

This is what ChatGPT is for. Copy/paste any article you think is biased or you want to see if its worth your time and let it do the work.

"The article primarily focuses on the issues arising from right-wing and conservative sources, particularly in relation to misinformation and conspiracy theories. It mentions figures like Alex Jones, Donald Trump, and Elon Musk, as well as media outlets like Infowars and Fox News, discussing their roles in spreading false information. The article highlights how these figures and platforms are contributing to distrust in institutions like FEMA and the government, as well as amplifying conspiracy theories around hurricanes and other events.

While it critiques the broader problem of misinformation, the examples and issues it addresses are heavily centered on conservative or right-wing influencers and politicians. There is no significant focus on issues related to Democrats or liberal figures. The article paints a picture of the current misinformation crisis as largely driven by elements of the political right, especially in the context of natural disasters and their aftermath."

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  5. gator_jo

gator_jo GC Legend

Aug 9, 2024
    Always happy to help you out, buddy.

Trump’s strategy: Turn hurricane lies into election victory

The former president has falsely accused the Biden administration of ignoring Republican storm victims and steering disaster aid to undocumented migrants.

6. gator_jo

gator_jo GC Legend

Aug 9, 2024
    Now you would understand the difficulty in focusing on or citing left or liberal figures spreading misinformation about the current natural disasters.....if it's not happening, right?

if you could point me to an article that goes over what is happening in regards to the hurricanes and left wing lies, I'd be happy to give you an honest answer.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Rick doesn’t realize his posts confirm the premise of the article.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. gatorchamps0607

Aug 14, 2007
    Gallatin, TN
    Like I have said before, my main problems with liberals here and in general are personal.

Overall, I feel you guys do a better job at not believing things without evidence and vetting your sources. Now we have the question of whose sources are right and whose are wrong. Even if you don’t agree with their side, you can understand that those who had issues with the media before Trump probably still do. So now, they hear the media calling Trump a liar while fearmongering, despite him having four years in office without democracy collapsing. He could get another four years, and we will live on. Aside from a lot of stupid things he said and January 6th (not to diminish that, as I've condemned him for it and said it should disqualify him from being president, though I don’t believe he incited it), the country ran fine, and we didn’t enter any new wars. We could discuss countless factors or counterpoints, but the fact remains that nothing catastrophic happened during his presidency to justify the media’s narrative about the end of democracy. They still use that tired rhetoric today, even after he’s come and gone.

Let’s put it this way: are you going to listen to a Miami fan or the media telling you how being a Gator fan is bad and that, since Billy Napier sucks, you should take Cristobal as your coach? Or are you going to push back and say, “Billy may suck, but I definitely don’t want that idiot Cristobal, even if he’s slightly better?” Nothing will ever make you a Miami fan or bring in Cristobal since he’s not a Saban, Meyer, or even a low-rent Kiffen. You’ll stick with Napier until a better coach comes along who aligns with your beliefs and can start winning. This analogy may not be perfect, but hopefully, it helps you understand.

Now, to answer @enviroGator and you: after researching, I don’t believe the FEMA allegations from Trump regarding hurricanes and their efforts to help. However, I only know what’s online, just like you. That’s why I toe the line—I don’t own objective reality. No news source or person does. It’s a well-established fact that the manipulation of information serves the interests of those in power. So who am I to claim my sources are true when misinformation is rampant?

Personally, I don’t believe anything I don’t see for myself. So I find it hard to believe either side. This is also why I don’t believe in God—not to change the subject. I’m a see-to-believe type. But as far as what’s available online and even in videos (which help with claims like “Biden is sharp as a tack,” as video evidence proved otherwise), Trump’s claims seem false.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    You dismiss the premise, attack the source, then claim ignorance. :emoji_thinking:
    This is not just about the media. It's about the lies spread by Trump and his followers.

Toxic lies are surging in the wake of Hurricanes Helene and Milton

https://www.cnn.com/2024/10/06/politics/fact-check-trump-helene-response-north-carolina/index.html

Trump and his allies are whipping up a whirlwind of lies about the hurricanes | Sidney Blumenthal
    You claim no self-awareness from the left, now you don't know what you were even talking about yourself? I appreciate you responding, but your bias is clearly manifested in a self-proclaimed ignorance and yet you played the "lack of awareness" card.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. gator_jo

gator_jo GC Legend

Aug 9, 2024
    Too many words.

Trump enacted a multifaceted criminal conspiracy to overturn an election. He made appx half the electorate accept this. So there's no need to whitewash the damage he did to our democracy.

And he encouraged J6, was derelict in his duty to stop it, and took joy from it. So no need to split hairs on Jan6.

These are very important things. As is his spreading politicized outright lies as a response to deadly natural disasters. The man is a criminal, and a threat to the safety of our nation and our people. As the examples cited indicate.

So I'm sorry liberals make you feel bad inside. But they're, as a whole, not behaving criminally, as is the traitor felon Trump. End of story, really.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Welp, so much for any modern politicians.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. gatorchamps0607

Aug 14, 2007
    Gallatin, TN
    Nice try, maybe if you asked more questions in good faith like Enviro instead of making accusations this would go smoother. However, clearly you are tripping over yourself to make this into an argument or a gotcha moment. If you aren't the one Im talking about, maybe you wouldnt be getting uppity? I digress though...

OP posted a thread, I copy/pasted the article into ChatGPT to get a general idea of what the article was about. The OP seemed to offer this thread up as an unbiased view on our problems. I thought, cool, someone being unbiased and posting an article about both sides. I know, what an idiot I am to think such stupid things. Fool me once... you know the rest.

The article was dismissed on the premise of this isn't Americas only problems and to think otherwise means some people have no self awareness to understand that maybe they could be the problem too.

As for me not knowing about FEMA, I heard and saw headlines about FEMA giving 750 dollars but unlike some of you, I don't live my life through politics. So I wasn't aware that there was a big conspiracy around this. As I said, which you didn't quote, I have a new job I've been preparing for and frankly school grade arguments about whos political party is less corrupt isn't my agenda this week. So sue me for being uninformed. As I stated and then followed through on, I gave my opinion, again you didn't quote or mention this. I wonder why.

With regards to my response about providing an analog. There are many things at play here. Lies, media bias, lies during the hurricane etc etc. It's not particularly hard to figure out Im simply asking for a specific point of concern as to what analog he was requesting. The post he quoted when asking didn't really have anything specific that would tell me this is exactly what he wanted.

So again, next time how about you simply ask questions in good faith instead of trying to get me in a gotcha moment. If you acted in good faith, I answer in good faith. I give you the energy you give me. Im not shy about it either. I don't care to make friends on a message board. Anything else you want to know, just ask in a normal way as if you were talking to someone you respect and Ill show you respect back.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. gatorchamps0607

Aug 14, 2007
    Gallatin, TN
    You seem to have a problem with listening or reading anything that isn't lock step in what you agree with.

This is a fatal flaw and honestly if thats how you feel there is no reason to have any discussion with you at all. I hope you enjoy the echo chamber you most certainly need to function in life.

Since you are so lazy with regards to others opinions. Instead of looking like a weak person who runs away from anything they dont agree with, use ChatGPT and at least pretend to be someone who can think outside the box.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Yes, more than a misinformation crisis. What bothers me some is the thought that some of it might be coordinated, by whom, and to what purpose.

• Winner Winner x 2
  15. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    No, you didn't. Review your first response to the thread.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. gatorchamps0607

Aug 14, 2007
    Gallatin, TN
    You know what I was thinking as I was reading the thread title? Wow, I know you claim to be smart and superior but thats next level. What am I thinking now? The second post was just me having fun with you guys because most of you play the game where you dismiss the article because of the source. Is that only fair if you do it? Nobody else is allowed to attack the source, huh?

Again, arguing on emotion and not in good faith. Trying another "gotcha" moment. You guys wonder why I say I don't like some of you personally. This is why. Unsufferable...

Im not going to waste anymore time explaining anything to you as you clearly are psychic. Probably saw that coming too, right?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. gatorchamps0607

Aug 14, 2007
    Gallatin, TN
    Thank you @enviroGator for trying to have a discussion in good faith.

Some of you wonder why I am the way I am. Its because of you. I gave enviro honest and respectful answers because he deserved it. You guys need a big ass mirror to look into and figure out what type of person you are and why you probably get the reactions you do from people you don't lock step agree with.

Again, no self awareness. As usual, Im giving you the floor to have the last word because thats what people like you need to survive (gatordavis and others).

Buh bye!

18. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Again with the both sides cop out equivocation.

19. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Why are you this way on the football boards?

20. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    The same information you still believe. But you and those here will just pile on with the propaganda that have you so blinded that you are probably still part of the 3% lining up for those effective shots designed for variants that are no longer out there. But hey. If it comes from the right person it is “science” to some of you. It really is ironic that a large majority of the 3% still falling for the misinformation like this has higher education degrees.

There is a lot of truth to this part of the piece though…

“So much of the conversation around misinformation suggests that its primary job is to persuade. But as Michael Caulfield, an information researcher at the University of Washington, has argued, “The primary use of ‘misinformation’ is not to change the beliefs of other people at all. Instead, the vast majority of misinformation is offered as a service for people to maintain their beliefs in face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.””

Which the author of the article probably does not understand…

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1