Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Weird GOP: Haitians are eating your pets

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by citygator, Sep 10, 2024.

1. vegasfox

vegasfox GC Hall of Fame

Feb 4, 2024
    Dear me

2. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Dear me

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. vegasfox

vegasfox GC Hall of Fame

Feb 4, 2024
    Now they're saying the wild turkeys and chickens are disappearing...

Turducken?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. enviroGator

enviroGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    I am clutching my pearls! Ohhhh.... those people from Africa are animals!

5. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Probably more likely the Chinese
    upload_2024-9-26_17-44-25.jpeg

6. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    16 days into this story. Let's go MAGA!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  7. obgator

obgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    ROFL!! Comedian Walter Masterson trolls MAGA in Springfield.

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    I visited the Haitian Rose Goute Creole restaurant in Springfield, Ohio for lunch this week. I ordered the goat with rice.

The mound of rice was a good 5 inches in diameter and had (I think) chickpeas scattered throughout it, although the menu called them “beans.” I don’t know how they made the rice “dirty,” if you know that culinary term.

The goat was incredibly tender and succulent, and the goat pot liquor poured over the rice was larapin good. The little slices of bell pepper and onions added a nice touch.

The plantain patties were a little dry and flavorless. I was not a fan of them, although I normally like plantain. The simple salad of lettuce and tomato was surprisingly refreshing as a cool accompaniment to the warm food. They had a side of what they called Russian dressing, but it was more like ranch than Russian.

Mrs. French’s vanilla corn drink tasted like an overly sweet melted milkshake. I will pass on that one in the future.

Standing in line to place my order, I overheard a woman speaking to a man who was dressed in a sportcoat and tie. As I walked up he said, “Oh, I’m not from here, I’m from New York. I’m a journalist. I was sent with my photographer to do a story on this area. They sent me because I speak the language.” I don’t know who he writes for, but he was driving a car from a local television station.

The clientele was mixed, although they were mostly Haitian. The workers were friendly. Most of their business while I was there was take out. I did chuckle when a worker came from the kitchen over to the drink cooler that was next to me, took out a malt liquor, and went back to the kitchen.

I will go back.

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 4
  9. gator_jo

gator_jo GC Legend

Aug 9, 2024
    It sounds like you had a nice experience.

You must be absolutely disgusted with national politicians repeatedly telling racist lies which demonize and endanger immigrants who are legally here. Right?

10. phatGator

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yes. That stuff does disgust me. I think it was incredibly stupid that Trump even mentioned it in the debate.

I’m not sure the spirit with which you asked that so I will give you the benefit of the doubt. It might only be me and others might see it a different way, but when someone puts “right?” after a sentence, I always kind of get the feeling that they’re trying to rub someone’s nose into something.

• Like Like x 2
  11. gator_jo

gator_jo GC Legend

Aug 9, 2024
    "Stupid"?

Repeatedly and knowingly telling racist lies which demonize and endanger an entire demographic group is merely ....... "stupid" ? As in like "it's a bad thing to do because it doesn't help someone's political chances" ?

Interesting. Many people would say that that is despicable and vile deliberately repeated acts of racism. They might say that it is absolutely, unequivocally unacceptable. And that anyone who could bring themselves to support a politician, or a political party, which engages in or even accepts that, should have their moral compass thoroughly recalibrated.

But you just consider it......bad politics?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. obgator

obgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Goat is the goat of meats. Your post reminds me of my time at UF. We had a club cricket team and used to drive to Jacksonville which had a sizable Jamaican community to play cricket most Sundays. The Jamaican team had ex-professional cricketers and were in their forties and fifties. They used to kick our butts but then gave us the most amazing Jamaican food afterwards- Goat curry, Jerk chicken, oxtail stew, rice and beans and maduros. That goat curry was to die for or at least worth the drive and getting our butts kicked in cricket.

btw, those fried plantains in your picture are tostones made from unripe plantains and usually dry. In contrast, maduros or sweet/ripe plantains are amazing!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2024 at 11:44 PM
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Could they have been pigeon peas (which I believe is actually a bean)? I make a rice w/pigeon peas recipe from that part of the world.

• Like Like x 2
  14. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Did you try the fried kitten? :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  15. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Not sure what more you want. @phatGator is being genuinely objective. Everything doesn't hafta be a fight.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. gator_jo

gator_jo GC Legend

Aug 9, 2024
    Respectfully, I disagree. To an extent.

The racism of Trump is quite different than "stupid."

The tolerance of it by a national political party, and their voters, is a total lack of upholding any level of moral decency.

This needs to be clearly pointed out. (Eight years ago, actually, then we might not be in this position of national moral bankruptcy. )

It's not enough to continue to call this crap merely "stupid", or "an unfortunate choice of words"....and then vote for those whodefend and enable it. (Even if possibly not voting for the racist nominee. )

IMO.

17. phatGator

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    It was sold out! :)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  18. phatGator

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    Looking at pictures of those I think you're right.

19. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    @phatGator is a very reasonable right leaning poster. If you think he's part of the problem you should honestly look in a mirror.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. gator_jo

gator_jo GC Legend

Aug 9, 2024
    Maybe.

But I think anyone who votes Republican right now is part of the problem.

"I don't support racism at all.....but I vote for the political party that is led by a public racist. And I don't support criminality....but I vote for the political party that breaks the rules and lies for a criminal who attacks our government. "

^ That doesn't work for me. Strange that it works for anyone else.

"Ya know, it's not bad that they support a party enabling racism and crime.....they just think differently. "

^ Nah.

Just my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1