Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

We need more guns!

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by pkaib01, Apr 21, 2023.

1. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    The R dominated legislature in TN is trying to pass open carry of long guns and lower the age from 21 to 18. It made it out of committee on voice vote (did not do a roll call vote so their names aren’t linked to a Yes). Legislature is heavily R so it will likely pass there and the Gov. will probably sign it as well.
    Teenagers open carrying AR-15s whatever could go wrong?

2. gatorjo

gatorjo GC Hall of Fame

Feb 24, 2024
    Nope, no problem here. Not at all.

Guns and weapons trafficked from US fueling Haiti gang violence
    Experts say most guns smuggled from states with lax firearms laws such as Florida, Arizona and Georgia

A large portion of these (guns), said Robert Muggah, a security expert and co-founder of the Igarapé Institute security thinktank, are obtained in the US by straw purchasers (buyers who obtain the guns on behalf of the smugglers). The weapons are largely bought in states with weak gun regulations such as Florida, Arizona, Texas and Georgia.

“Easily accessible firearms from the US are one of several factors that are deepening Haiti’s instability,” Muggah said.

Guns and weapons trafficked from US fueling Haiti gang violence

3. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This happened near my home and caused a detour on my way home.

Of course, teen boys having altercations is nothing new. It’s as old as time immemorial and happens in some version through most species of mammals.

What is new is that this generation has internalized what it is to be an American man in the 21st century- to resolve disagreements not with fists but with bullets.

The shooting may be the first to be so close to Armature Works since it opened in the Tampa Heights neighborhood in 2018.

Like other shootings in the last few years, it stemmed from a problem that has frustrated law enforcement officials, community leaders and residents: Teen boys and young men get into fights, then start shooting.

Teen jailed after shots fired near Armature
    Teen jailed after shots fired near Armature - Tampa Bay Times

4. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Thanks Biden, and a few Republicans.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/04/11/biden-gun-show-firearms-rule-00151655

The Biden administration is moving to expand background checks for gun purchases, fulfilling a key demand of advocates following the deadly shooting at a school in Uvalde, Texas.

The final rule, expected to be submitted Thursday to the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, would eliminate a loophole that has allowed sales of guns without background checks of guns outside of brick-and-mortar stores.

The rule was issued under a provision of the 2022 Bipartisan Safer Communities Act. It requires that anyone who sells guns for profit to have a license and that buyers be subject to a background check, including at firearms shows and flea markets. The administration had been working on the rule since last spring. Once publicized, it will take effect in 30 days.

The so-called gun show loophole has for years allowed unlicensed gun dealers to sell firearms without background checks at gun shows, on the internet and out of their homes. The new rule, the most sweeping expansion of firearms background checks in decades, will apply to more than 20,000 individuals engaged in unlicensed gun dealing and affect “tens and tens of thousands of gun sales” each year, an administration official told reporters during a call previewing the announcement.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Race and gun issues intersect. Yea guns! He was able to protect his family

6. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015

How sure are you and why that this was about race? Curious

7. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    There is a picture!

Why did he feel so frightened?

8. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015

So what? You don’t think he’d do the same to a white dude he thinks is scamming him? We assume race too easily imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    My opinion is the opposite. This is about men, although he may have assumed her imagined confederate was male. But study after study has shown the subconscious perception of danger changes based on race. From a quick google search. but I have read similar many times, and it also makes sense based on observation

Overall, the five studies consistently revealed that White Americans automatically associate Black men with physical threat. This association was found to be unique to Black men and did not extend to Asian men. The studies also indicated that this association with threat was stronger than the association with negative valence when these two concepts were paired in competition.

“So what we have is a clear pattern showing that White Americans automatically associate Black men with threat,” March told PsyPost. “And in no study did I find an automatic association linking Black men to negativity. So, when parsing out threat from negativity and isolating the effects of negativity, there did not appear to be an automatic Black-negative link.”

Study finds anti-Black bias among White Americans is rooted in perceived threat, not dislike

10. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015

So I guess every time a white person does something against a black person it’s race related and they automatically need to have their charge bumped up due to it? Add that racially motivated charge.

SMDH

11. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Obviously not every time. But we would be foolish not to recognize the phenomenon in application

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015

Recognize if you want. Proving is another issue.

I guess I’m willing to give “everyone” the benefit of the doubt until I see something specific to think otherwise.

13. GolphinGator

GolphinGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gainesville/ Micanopy
    I have no problem with background checks myself. That said how many guns does a person need to sell to be considered a dealer and need a FFL license? Can the ATF just decide that on a case by case basis and use it to come into a persons home whenever they like or arrest them? I have not seen anything so far to say. If a person takes a few guns to a a license FFL and has them sell them on consignment and makes a profit is he considered a unlicensed dealer even though the FFL ran background checks? The thing I don't like is the ATF keeps changing the law and there is not a lot of direction on how to stay legal.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Seemed like a good dude:

But never fear Uber has addressed:

15. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    This man murdered who appears to be a middle-aged female Uber driver. Racism was the least of concerns here. Why should u give a shit?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Great point. This murdering POS just might not be racist.

[​IMG]

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007

So are you for or against background checks?

18. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    what is it with these types with guns so eager to kill someone?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. GolphinGator

GolphinGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gainesville/ Micanopy
    No as I said I am ok with the background checks but would like to know what the definition of a dealer is now. Can I sell my son one of my guns without a background check or because I am selling a gun does that make me a dealer? I myself would not sell a gun directly to a stranger I would sell the gun through a FFL that would run a background check on whoever bought the gun even though that has always been legal. I might sell one to a close friend without having a FFL involved if that is still legal to do. I have not seen anything to say where the line has been drawn for what makes a person a dealer as far as the ATF is concerned.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Triggered. Lol

I GAS about it because it’s used and assumed too often. Racism causes enough harm and possibly in this case led to the lady’s death. I’m curious about motive(s) as I’ve arrested numerous people in my career and used motives to get convictions and additional sentence time.

• Like Like x 1