Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

We Are Not the Same Team as Team as Last Year

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Gator-In-Tenn, Jul 17, 2024.

1. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    We have a squad. Their D has more depth problems than ours. Ward's numbers don't bear out that he is some significantly better qb than TVD. He threw more quick hitters like Mertz with a lower percentage complete, and Ward is new in the system. He likely needs some games to get up to speed. Parrish has been a higher rate runner with a non-running qb than Martinez with a qb who can pull the ball and freeze the LB. Baron is their best get by far imo. But we have a higher rate of returning production and experience than them, and they lost a lot of highly rated recruits, while CBN retained his. Color me not intimidated by those that blow.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  2. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I believe you. When we played a season opener 2019, both teams were really off, but we won. Hoping we are way more polished this time. Want to believe their QB won't be ready for the pressure and noise. That Martinez RB is really big. We will have to tackle. We expect their OL to be pretty strong?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tito22

Tito22 GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    They don't have depth problems on the DL. Their issue is their secondary in my opinion. Hey if you don't think they have a squad, have at it, but they have real ballers on that team. I think they might actually end up in the playoff because all you have to do is win the ACC and they will be a contender for that.

I know we have a squad offensively and if we were in the ACC, we certainly would have a good shot at making the playoff. But we have deficiencies of our own. We don't have legit pass rusher and I am not impressed with our LBs. I think our DL will be stingy vs the run though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tito22

Tito22 GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    They bring back both OT's including that 5* stud freshman from last year who was as good as advertised imo. And yes, we have a habit of playing sloppy ass football in openers. That's why I wish this was a week 2 game. Is what it is. I have to believe Ward won't be as polished in week 1 as Mertz should be with Graham having a full year in the system.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. drwilkofeelgood

drwilkofeelgood Freshman

Nov 26, 2021
    Me too but hit it big last year. Did not put as much down this year thinking SBB has learned a little something

6. drwilkofeelgood

drwilkofeelgood Freshman

Nov 26, 2021
    Not sure but someone called me that last year but cashed a very large ticket$$ Hope SBB proves me wrong this year

7. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    Meh. All of your assumptions seem to accrue to Miami's advantage. I just don't buy it. FTR, their secondary play has been almost as bad as ours, without the promise of significant improvement in the immediate offing. One of their less delusional podpeople has been talking about it for a while now. As mentioned before, they have lost a significant portion of those top ten classes and the line play has been described as being less than the sum total of the available parts - with good reason. Who have they steamrolled on the LOS recently who had a pulse? Serious question. Couple that with the fact that Mario will be trying not to fall to .500 (74-73) for his career, at Florida Field, while their shiny new wunderkind QB comes into an environment unlike anything he has faced before - with a losing record as a P5 starter. Like Billy, I like what I've seen and heard of this team, including the new and improved LB room. I don't know everything there is to know about Miami, but I know enough to believe that they can and very possibly will lose to this '24 Gator squad on 8/31. GG! Beat Miami!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  8. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Was looking to bet the Over 4.5 on UF wins, but the best available odds is on FanDuel at -152. Basically you bet $100 to win $65…so not a great bet.

I think the play may be the early odds against UGA (UF +20.5) and FSU (UF +11.5) as I think we are much better than everyone gives us credit for.

Also, +2000 on UF making the 12-team playoffs. Very tempting!

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. SuperMOM

SuperMOM GC Hall of Fame

Jan 31, 2016
    Cam has never played a game in an atmosphere like the SWAMP. And, his numbers are a bit skewed due to the offense he ran and the league he played in.

upload_2024-7-21_8-27-28.png

• Like Like x 2
  10. kryptonite

Dec 12, 2008
    He was wildly inconsistent too.

Some of his games' qbr are just amazingly bad.

It often took him 40-50 attempts to get in the 300+ yard range.

It will be interesting to see how he does early on in a new system.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. lizardbreath

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    Thanks for posting that dose of reality. It is possible that Ward will stroll into the Swamp and dazzle us all with game changing brilliance. After all, there are some UM fans and even some media types already hyping him for AA or even the Heisman. Based on his history thus far, I think that's wildly premature. Is it 8/31 yet?

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. lizardbreath

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    It will indeed. FTR, I straight-up like our QB room more than I like UM's. We have a proven starter with really good game management skills and excellent accuracy - with a freakish talent watching closely from the bench. If someone has actually done a better job stocking the QB room from HS and the portal in the last two years than Billy, it certainly isn't Mario.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Tito22

Tito22 GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    He has played in Autzen and in Madison.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    On the playoff bet, what does $100 get you? $2,000?

15. kryptonite

Dec 12, 2008
    Just FYI, yes, he did well at Autzen in a losing effort, but he had a terrible game at Wisconsin, which no SEC team would think is a daunting place to play.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Tito22

Tito22 GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    Wisconsin can be a tough place to play and he went there against a tough defense is all I'm saying.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. lizardbreath

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    Really? Those two stack up to 100-plus degree heat in the madhouse that will be the Swamp? With 90K highly jacked, extremely hostile Gator fans in attendance? In his first start with a new team against a hungry Gator team with its back against a wall? Really? I don't even know what to say to that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  18. kryptonite

Dec 12, 2008
    Their defensive stats are good against a really bad schedule, but giving up 400 passing yards to LSU's back up is suspect.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Tito22

Tito22 GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    Smh... the kid is from Texas. I don't think the heat will bother him. Last time we saw the swamp, Tate Rodemaker was coming away with the W and that was a hostile crowd as well. The kid has played a lot of football in a lot of places, he isn't going to be rattled. I think we win this game because our WRs have a decided advantage against their corners. But thinking Cam Ward is going to come in and be shook is ridiculous.

20. lizardbreath

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    ...As is trying to spin a QB with average stats and a losing record in two years as a P5 starter into a bogey man. And again, I don't know what to say to someone who seriously equates Madison to Gainesville as a tough place to play. FTR, I have already alluded to the high regard that some others, including you apparently, have for CW. I honestly don't get it, but we'll see what's what and who's who soon enough. I do understand that some see UM as a PO contender and maybe the ACC champ. I would still pick whoever turns out to be the third or fourth best team in the SEC by seven to ten points over them on any given day. That's just what I think of that program, their .503% HC and the conference they currently compete in.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1