Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That ignores the conspiracy theory that FDR intentionally ignored signs of the impending attack on Pearl Harbor to serve as an excuse to get us in the war to end the Great Depression.

2. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
  4. 11708cht

11708cht VIP Member

Jun 18, 2017
    I knew that. I was being rhetorical for the sake of our resident russian know-it-all

5. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Looks like a successful strike on the Kerch bridge

• Like Like x 5
  6. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    I read that Ukraine had repurposed Sam2 antiaircraft missiles and were using them to target the bridge. Wildly inaccurate but it only takes one.

Their biggest challenge right now seems to be mine fields. Hopefully more mine clearing equipment is enroute. Russians are relaying mines from the air as fast as Ukraine can clear them. This is where some f-16's or some additional anti-aircraft batteries would help.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I was wondering what missile they used. I presumed that there were significant defenses in place that would have to be overcome, as that bridge was an obvious target, being hit before with obvious strategic value.

Also, I thought I followed weapons systems, but this conflict was my first exposure to air relayed mining, at least on land

8. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I know about the Me-262. That's why I phrased it the way I did. Germany's jet was a very good plane for WWII, but had a few issues. It could not stay in the air a long time, and it was vulnerable on take-offs and landings, like most planes are. The biggest issue was that Germany had very few of these planes, and could have used some more time to manufacture more of them. Hitler was busy trying to figure out how to make a jet bomber, and that did not work out nearly as well for them. The U.S. had so many planes that they could almost blanket the sky with them. And the U.S. planes did improve dramatically during the war, going from Curtis P-40's all the way up to P-51 Mustangs. I wouldn't say that the Mustang was a better plane than the Me-262, but it was not so far behind it on anything besides speed (540 mph vs. 440 mph), and was much more maneuverable. The U.S. produced 15,000 Mustangs, and the Germans produced 1,500 Me-262's (but only 300 of them saw combat). The Mustang also had 50% more range (the Me-262 could only stay in the air for 40-90 minutes). So the Me-262 could not patrol the skies--they had to take off when there was radar contact of incoming planes.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Let’s not let timelines get in the way of history. Nobody was pushing Ukraine into NATO before this War. Nobody. Indeed, Sweden and Finland didn’t want to be part of NATO before the War.

Russian aggression forced Sweden and Finland into NATO. Nothing else.

Ukraine’s proposed admission into NATO now, in my opinion, is nothing more than a negotiating point to lob as a concession once Russia and Ukraine get serious about ending the War.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    stormshadow should reach it. it would seem that it would be accurate enough to take out rail bridge which seems to still be functional

11. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    open insubordination among the ranks seems to be spreading.

Putin Making Military Changes As Troops Disobey Orders (msn.com)

Audio released last week showed Popov complaining directly to Putin about frontline conditions, bypassing Russian Chief of the General Staff Valery Gerasimov and Russian Minister of Defense Sergei Shoigu. But there are other reported dismissals of Russian top brass for speaking up for their troops.

These include 106th Guards Airborne (VDV) Division Commander Major General Vladimir Seliverstov, 7th VDV Division Commander Major General Alexander Kornev and 90th Tank Division Commander Major General Ramil Ibatullin.
    Colonel General Mikhail Teplinsky, "set the precedent for the acts of insubordination that are currently plaguing the Russian MoD," the ISW said.
    This was because he reportedly resigned in January following a dispute with Gerasimov over the use of VDV forces in human wave attacks which resulted in high losses. While his resignation would not be considered insubordination, a video he later released that aimed to push Putin to replace Gerasimov would have been.

Troops from the 7th VDV Division have warned they would withdraw from occupied Kherson Oblast if Teplinsky were arrested, which the ISW said showed how "insubordination among commanders appears to be spreading to some of their soldiers."

• Like Like x 2
  12. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    What about defenses? I am assuming they had other missiles that could reach it but for defenses

13. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Russia has a severe shortage of counter-battery defense systems, which are systems that determine where artillery shells are coming from and calculates where return fire should be sent. They lost another ZOOPARK-1M system in early July. Russia has more artillery and shells than Ukraine, but has to fire them blindly and hope they hit something. Ukraine has better capabilities in this regard and is more able to fire accurately. These systems require a lot of computer chips, so it is unlikely that Russia is able to assemble any more of them.

Russia lacks counter-battery weapons – UK Intelligence

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
  15. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Strong historical analog on a current rhetorical device used by Putin apologists

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  17. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    So far. But I do worry that the base is starting to move away from Ukraine an will pull away the elected officials. TPUSA speeches were frightening

18. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    ^ uniparty, all alike warmongers. The biggest difference between pubs and dems is that pubs want to get Ukraine over with so we can go to war with China.

19. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Not one conservative I know nor myself oppose helping Ukraine both militarily and financially.

I’d like us to do more.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  20. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Me too. But the trend is there. Whether it will continue is uncertain. I especially worry if the counteroffensive totally stalls. But McCarthy just put MTG on the conference committee for the NDAA and one of her professed goals is to start undermining Ukraine aid. Just about every speaker at TPUSA. I realize they are not even the majority of the GOP, but they are growing even if they don't run in our individual circles

• Informative Informative x 1